Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2024, 09:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any comparison pics of Front Rank HYW and Perry plastic horses?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
How do the Front Rank Hundred Years War metal horses compare with the Perry plastic ones? Same height or smaller?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Any comparison pics of Front Rank HYW and Perry plastic horses?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 08:25:42 AM »
I’ve got WoTR ones and they are very similar in sizes

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 11:25:26 AM »
Hopefully you will get a better picture at some stage but in meantime Front Rank HYW and soon to be started Parry WoTR  plastics

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 04:14:20 PM »
I’ve got WoTR ones and they are very similar in sizes
Would you know if FR is consistent in size throughout their ranges? 

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 04:16:16 PM »
Hopefully you will get a better picture at some stage but in meantime Front Rank HYW and soon to be started Parry WoTR  plastics

The Perry one looks taller and with larger heads. 

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 06:14:08 PM »
Would you know if FR is consistent in size throughout their ranges? 

I’m not certain but the FR horses I have look very similar to the one Brunel shared.
And it would be easy to check on the Perry site if they use the same horses for both ranges (the sprue above looks very similar to the WoTR one)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 07:41:02 PM »
I’m not certain but the FR horses I have look very similar to the one Brunel shared.
And it would be easy to check on the Perry site if they use the same horses for both ranges (the sprue above looks very similar to the WoTR one)
I can't make any claims for their metal horses, but the Perrys use the same Medieval Horse sprue for both HYW and WotR ranges.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 08:00:08 PM »
Yes the Perry WOTR and Agincourt plastic sets use the same plastic horses.

HOWEVER if it's relevant, note that all the metal horses in both these ranges are quite noticeably smaller than the plastic ones. Less height, and often quite skinny looking. They work really well for lighter cavalry or independent commanders, but if mixed in the same unit the size difference is noticeable. You don't want your metal men-at-arms to be on little horses and your plastic mounted archers on great big ones! Or a metal commander leading a unit of plastic heavy cavalry, and he's on a clearly smaller horse. Just a pet peeve of mine!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 04:03:30 AM »
Yes the Perry WOTR and Agincourt plastic sets use the same plastic horses.

HOWEVER if it's relevant, note that all the metal horses in both these ranges are quite noticeably smaller than the plastic ones. Less height, and often quite skinny looking. They work really well for lighter cavalry or independent commanders, but if mixed in the same unit the size difference is noticeable. You don't want your metal men-at-arms to be on little horses and your plastic mounted archers on great big ones! Or a metal commander leading a unit of plastic heavy cavalry, and he's on a clearly smaller horse. Just a pet peeve of mine!

I intend to remount the plastic light cavalry on smaller horses, probably TAG metal ones or plastic from Wargames Atlantic. For now, I need large horses knights, preferably barded. The Fireforge ones only have two poses and the heads leave something to be desired, though they do match the Perry ones and could use the spare heads from the latter for the former. I have been thinking of attaching thin plasticard, with the aid of a small heat gun, onto the Perry plastic horses, but not sure if it'll work: heat a cut piece, then quickly attach to the body, so it conforms to the shape and then trim after it cools.

The easiest option would've been the new horses from Victrix, but according to their FAQ, they don't sell sprues, as these come pre-packaged from the factory - no idea why it can't be done, as Perrys sell horse sprues.