Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2024, 12:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1702687
  • Total Topics: 119220
  • Online Today: 263
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project - Wolves 08/07  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project - Wolves 08/07
« on: June 21, 2024, 04:08:00 PM »
It's been a while. In fact, it has been such a while that many of my paints have dried up  :'(

Nevertheless, like malaria, playing with toy soldiers never goes away completely and you never know what will cause a relapse. For me it was two things hitting at once - finding my packs of Bronze Age miniatures' mythical Greeks (more on that another time) and hearing about a game where I could play "Sharpe vs. monsters". What can I say? I was hooked on the idea, and I'm back on the wargaming wagon.

First off, I had a look at Muggins's excellent guide to starting Silver Bayonet which contains a useful summary chart (below) of the various monsters needed to play through the scenarios in the core rulebook and started rummaging through the for-so-long-undisturbed lead pile.

A few mdf bases off eBay later and I was able to rustle up or repurpose this lot:

I was quite pleased with the conversions of Victrix French into alarmingly hungry revenant zombie things. On a roll by now, I made a couple more zombies, and also found rats, spiders, a gargoyle, a pair of ghosts, a hobgoblin, and two furies that will act as the savage/wild vampire creatures from the Carpathians expansion. They'll also be normal vampires unless/until I get some suitably be-fanged aristocrats.

You may have noticed the rabbits. This is not a Monty Python reference, but a handful of medieval manuscript marginalia figures that I was gifted quite some time ago that I shall use as goblins - I wanted to paint them up finally, and I reckon the medieval monks of the Silver Bayonet world weren't just doodling but recording sightings of small fae creatures. Or something!

Only monsters so far. I have an order from Gripping Beast that is in the post (email confirming dispatch arrived today - great people to deal with, adjusting my order after confirmation quickly and helpfully) which will deliver a British and a French company, so I'm trying to get some of these critters done in the meanwhile. It will keep up impetus and hopefully knock some of the rust off my lapsed painting skills  lol

This is what I have completed so far:

The hobgoblin bugbear
I always think of a hobgoblin, in a European folklore sense, as a household sprite. Troublesome occasionally? Sure. A malicious tool of a spreading Darkness? Nah. So I've changed it out for a bugbear, specifically this old Citadel figure that I gave a dust and a quick chip repair, before rebasing .

Ghosts
Two more old Citadel figures, I rather like the Tolkienesque, barrow-wight feel they have. A quick spectral paintjob, but the accidental yellow tinge comes from not cleaning my drybrush properly. A happy accident!

Goblins Marginalia Rabbits
Quick, but oddly difficult for me to paint. They are so accurate to the illuminated manuscripts that inspired them, but I'm out of practice enough to find the smooth surfaces a bit challenging. I still love them, and have six more on the go.

More painting over the next few weeks should see this lot and hopefully one unit of British done for some solo gaming. I might even remember how to photograph miniatures alongside remembering how to paint before I tackle those Napoleonic uniforms!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 07:48:33 PM by Mister Rab »

Painted/purchased (2024) - 18/28

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 05:42:39 PM »
Sounds good, but alas the images aren't showing at this end.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 07:44:58 AM »
Thanks Cat - they were showing on my laptop but I guess that was because I was logged in to my Google photos. Hopefully switching to imgBB has worked!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project (image links fixed)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 10:25:27 AM »
fantastic - great start.  :-*

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 01:57:57 PM »
Nothing strikes feel more than chocolate bunnies running around with weapons of sharp destruction!!

The pictures were well worth the wait. The miniatures look great!! Well done and thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 10:15:48 PM »
Glad you like 'em - thanks for the encouragement!

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 12:02:47 AM »
I love the rabbits  :-*  Welcome back to the fold.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 01:52:43 AM »
Definitely looks better now.

Cry havoc and release the rabbits of war!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 05:32:20 PM »
The 'rabbits of war' had to wait as it was mostly a gardening sort of day. I did, however, get tempted to convert this Gripping Beast highlander that arrived yesterday. Clutching the absurdly oversized ceremonial sword of his ancestors, determined to wield it as a heavy weapon against the forces of darkness (and/or any smarmy English officers), this fellow will nevertheless languish in the painting queue while I ponder tartan....

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project - highlander 23/06
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 10:24:30 PM »
Great project and love the rabbits! Definitely adds some lightheartedness to it.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project - more rabbits 24/06
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 08:42:56 PM »
I had a quick internet image search for the rabbit marginalia and saw that most of them were either brown or grey. Not hugely surprising, but I though I should get that colour mix into my small band of "goblins". I'm not as happy with these two, but I want to keep up the momentum so will make any adjustments at mass varnishing time.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 09:13:10 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2024, 09:19:46 PM »
Ya can never go wrong with the “Goverment tartan” of the Black Watch.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 09:25:09 PM »
Ya can never go wrong with the “Goverment tartan” of the Black Watch.

Agreed... but my wife is a McFarlane, and I'm an alumnus of Edinburgh university, so that gives two more options  ???

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 10:45:12 PM »
So were there many regiments fielded by Edinburgh University?  I do believe that a solitary MacFarlane might well be the equal of a file of Englishmen, but if he were to be accompanied by his good wife he would easily be the equal of a whole regiment!  Give her the honor deserved and she will let you buy some more figs…

Agreed... but my wife is a McFarlane, and I'm an alumnus of Edinburgh university, so that gives two more options  ???
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:47:39 PM by Aethelflaeda was framed »

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
Re: Mister Rab's Silver Bayonet project - Occultist and Doctor 25/06
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 07:46:25 PM »
Not in the mood for painting tonight, so I did a couple of quick (-ish) chops on these two civilians to make an Occultist (probably for my French unit), complete with bell for keeping evil at bay (who knows, it might even work?). With him is a Doctor (for my Brits), complete with Gladstone bag made from a length of sprue and a bit of shield from a Mantic undead sprue. That's where the bell is from, too. The weapons are from a Victrix French command sprue. The figures themselves are from Front Rank as sold by Gripping Beast