Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2024, 11:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1702686
  • Total Topics: 119220
  • Online Today: 647
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Gruesome Day at Devil's Den. An FFoL battle report  (Read 1827 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
A Gruesome Day at Devil's Den. An FFoL battle report
« on: June 22, 2024, 09:10:53 PM »
 The players: has.been, Donkeymilkan, vodkafan.
 The time: Somewhen in the 19th century after the Civil War.
The place: I can be more specific here. America. Dardenelle County where men are men and horses sometimes have women's names but let's not go into that. Devil's Den right where the teardrop is pointing.
 A favourite hideout of lawless desperadoes where lawmen fear to tread. A jumble of rocky defiles easily defended, if one can get up early enough that is.
Here is a rock.
Unfortunately The 6 strong notorious Fratton Gang are all asleep holed up in their cabin. They left the horses saddled but at least they put them in the corral.

Here are the gang. Michael Morrison is the  ruthless leader, with the Tough As Nails trait. Sleeping like a baby.

Let's get on with the action: It's not even first light and  creeping up from the West a determined  US Marshal with two deputies...they aim to end the depradations of the Fratton Gang.

But sliding stealthily from the opposite side of the cabin what is this? A ragtag bunch of would be chancers  with the paint only just dry, courtesy of Donkeymilkman, fresh into Dardanelle County. They are out for what they can steal. Donkeymilkman is going to find it hot in Devil's Den... (apologies I don't have the names of the characters) But I do know it's the Snitzel Gang.

A whole turn goes by while these two posses sneak up on the cabin, unaware of each other's presence. until:

One of The Snitzel Gamg's  edgey crew suffers a negligent discharge (quite a neat mechanic in the rules)
In the pre-morning gloom each crew at extreme range take the other to be the Fratton Gang?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 10:50:56 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Gruesome Day at Devil's Den. An FFoL battle report
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 09:54:35 PM »
 Each side seeks cover as a firefight starts.  The Marshal is pinned by long range rifle fire. But he is not hurt and soon finds cover.

Two of the Fratton gang wake up. Dane Scarlett shoots from the rear window but clips the tail of his own dang  horse.

Clark Robertson  unloads  both pistols from the front window at a deputy snaking up towards the front door. The luckless deputy goes down with a wound.

The rest of the Fratton Gang wake up in the next turn but there seems to be a full on gun battle going on outside. For the moment they are not sure what to do. In addition a dust storm starts and restricts vision for everyone down to 5" (less than pistol range)

The posse of cowboys close in on the marshal's men.

Savage gunfire kills the second deputy stone dead. The Marshal is isolated.

Donkeymilkman's crew intent is to let loose the Fratton Gang's horses from the corral. One gets shot and wounded by the marshal in the attempt o open the gate.

Next turn Connor Ogilvie shoulders  Clark out of the way at the front window. He takes careful aim with his rifle. This time the  first deputy is a goner. A cactus is really no cover.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 11:49:18 PM by vodkafan »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 10:44:55 PM »
Thanks for doing the AAR James. I will add my pictures & comments tomorrow.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 10:49:03 PM »
 The Fratton Gang leader Michael Morrison spends  both his actions this turn giving orders. He sends  Dane with his rifle up to the loft window to cover the side where all the shooting is coming from. He orders Marlon out the back door into the dust storm with his double barrel shotgun  to stop the horses being loosed. John Griffith runs outside with him into the swirling storm. It might have been easier to sit it out inside the cabin, but the threat to the horses requires action.
 By now one of the Snitzel Gang has managed to open the corral gate.  Unfortunately for him he came within the range of Marlon's shotgun and is killed where he stands.

In turn Marlon is shot at and becomes pinned.  In the swirling dust storm he panics and runs away , unseen by friend or foe.

There is a three-way shooting match going on now in the corral in a duststorm. The horses are going crazy.
In the meantime Connor Ogilvie runs out the front door and runs towards the corral in an attempt to close the gate. He is mercilessly gunned down and killed by the Marshal.  The horses start to escape.

John Griffith has also been shot and wounded by the Snitzel Gang. The dust storm stops as suddenly as it began.
A lot of dead bodies are starting to litter the site. Four so far.
The two remaining Fratton Gang men find the front door clear and run quickly around the south side of the corral.

They are not in time to save John Griffith, as a Snitzel man walks calmly up and fills him full of hot lead where he lays in the dust of the now empty corral. What a terrible thing to do!
In retribution  Clark Robertson runs up and a Snitzel man is shot and wounded.

He is soon forced back by point blank gunfire.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 11:52:15 PM by vodkafan »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 11:02:43 PM »
 Where is the Marshal now the storm has gone? I forgot to take a pic but the sneaky lawman has ran around the front of the cabin. Upstairs, Dane (who has seen him from his loft window and heard his steps, readies his rifle. But the Marshal does not know there is anyone still in the cabin and runs past the front door.
The Fratton Gang Boss has been hit and wounded bt the Snitzel Gang. It is a bad wound. but he keeps fighting . He has two pistols but he cannot seem to pick up the second pistol...it seems like the end.

The Marshal appears around the side of the cabin....Dane slips outside behind him...there is an awful moment when he realises his mistake

Before he is gunned down in a murderous crossfire.

Micheal Morrison is hit again and again in a combat with no mercy given....he bleeds out and the world goes black. Just before he died he wondered why the ground outside was covered in hexagons...

Dane and Clark decide between them that they must just run. They don't know that Marlon also legged it in the dust storm....but the Fratton Gang is no more. What a terrible day of violence.

This was a really enjoyable game we all got into it. Thumbs up for Fistful of Lead, it flowed easy.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 12:06:17 AM by vodkafan »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 11:39:59 PM »
Thanks to has.been for hosting, umpiring and supplying drinks, pizza and anecdotes

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 11:58:20 AM »
Thanks for the AAR James.
Not much to add, but my pictures & what my plan was.

I knew my Posse would be outnumbered by the Fratton Gang, but wasn't expecting
the Snitzel brothers! Well done Sam for getting your first FfoL western team to the table.

The Plan.
Sneak up and release the horses then keep the Fratton gang away from the well (water)
till they surrendered.

Not helped by a Snitzel brother shooting at me! :o

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 12:09:20 PM »
I started with a three man team.
The Snitzels took down my weakest deputy, bad news, but I still had my best deputy.
Then the Fratton gang took him out! :o.
The Marshal started to make inroads into the opposition & the horses were stampeding. :)

Trying to sneak up on a gang member, on the far side of the corral, I got 'Snuck up on'  :?
I had hoped James would throw badly, but he didn't :'( :'( :'(

End of my game. :(

It was a good laugh & fun was had.
To paraphrase a line from the film Jaws, 'We're gunna need a bigger Posse'.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 12:45:23 PM »

There is some really cool terrain there, where did you get those cacti?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 03:02:21 PM »
There is some really cool terrain there, where did you get those cacti?

The larger ones came attached to the rocks, so I hack-sawed them off. :D

The smaller ones are a mix. Various manufacturers bought years ago & even a few home-cast by my friend Andy Taylor.

Last year I finally got around to basing them all up.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 09:07:23 PM »
Will read more later but, cactically speaking, the game looks really good.

And a few hours later and I've read through.  Nice game.  Hex terrain a bit different for miniatures.

Fistful of Lead is a great game/rule system.  I'm toying with using the Bigger Battles variant even where one might thing the game too small.  Essentially using a 'unit' for one figure for very small games.  Haven't tested it yet so not sure if it will work.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 01:32:03 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2024, 11:38:36 AM »
And time for the Snitzel Gang's account of these outlandishly, outrageous outlaw's tales.

The Snitzel Gang are a group of tardy scumbags looking for a cheap buck where it’s easy to make. Scouring the desolate arid lands for a taste of wealth in Dardenell Country after fleeing from the newly founded Birmingham Alabama for trickery and treachery, the group of four, in the early hours of the morning, landed on the lonesome shack at Devil’s Den. “There’s a good deal of fine-looking stallions that me thinks need rehoming,” thinks the slippery Scarlet Fever.

From the Northwest the boys timidly sneaked up to the cabin fence with good Ol’Macdonald providing some distant cover for the boys with his trusty rile, entitled ‘Old Betsie’ after his third or fourth wife. Suddenly without warning, BANG, Ol’Macdonald had discharged his rifle off into the opaque distance, seeing something move in the hazy morning light. With his eyes not what they use to be and being a bit too quick on the old trigger, Ol’Macdonald has seemed to cause some rustling in the cabin. Seems like the Snitzel gang have lost the element of surprise to be able to sneak off with those fine ponies.

Returning gunfire comes from cacti corner, Yogi Bear, the mountain man, finds this very peculiar, “I don’t remember cactuses having guns,” he ponders as he scratches his brow. This doesn’t stop him, with varnish still tacky, returning fire with his trusty musket. “OUCH!” comes from one of the cactus as a lawman drops down dead behind it. “Funny,” Yogi Bear, the half-witted philosopher thinks, “I don’t remember catuses speaking neither.”

The gunfighting gets tense around the gate to the horses’ ground, Ol’Macdonald pushed forward and unlatches the gate but “YIKES,” is shot down and wounded in the process. Crawling back to the warm safety of Doc. Vacations arms, whose as bad with his pistol as he is with his surgical saw.

Yogi Bear pushes forward and opens the gate, getting shot to pieces by one of the Franton gang, who pumps so much lead into poor Yogi that he goes from strained from pushing the heavy gate open to strainer with the number of holes in him. “Oh well ones less bloke to feed,” remarks Scarlett fever.

The dastardly swine who shot Yogi decides to bolt it rather than face the returning gun fire. At least he will be able to spread the tales of the feared Snitzel Gang far and wide. The poor feller that decided to stay and face the old boys sees himself shot down to the ground, by the good old sharp shooting Snitzel boys.

Scarlett fever hops round the fence and finishes the ruffian off. Quick as a flash, justice is severed to the Snitzel gang, as one of the ruffian Fratton serves a bullet into Ol’Macdonald’s knee. Doc. Vacation is going to have his work cut out for him today.

A heavy firefight pursues between the leader of the Fratton gang and good old Doc. Vacation and Scarlett fever. Scarlett fever takes a bullet to the shoulder and in a cry of pain slumps to the floor. Doc. Vacation can’t help but think he deserve overtime pay for all he’s got to deal with now. Luckily the gunfire is too much for the Fratton Gang, two of the boys leg it as their poor ‘beloved’ leaders bleeds out on the dusty hexagonal ground.

A success for the Snitzel Gang! However, realising it wasn’t cacti shooting them but lawmen, it looks like the boys are going to be in a hell of a lot of trouble about this little misunderstanding, so decide to peg it back up to Birmingham. Sadly, horses stuck between heavy gunfire don’t seem to come out too well from it, so the poor Snitzel brothers suffer some great delays on their onwards journey.

Thank you Has.Been for preparing the game, providing drinks and pizza and Vodkafan for playing. My first FFoL in two years and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 11:45:56 AM by Donkeymilkman »
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 11:54:09 AM »
Now the tale is told from three sides! It's really interesting to see the action from the different viewpoints in the pics!
Yes that darn corral gate being opened  was the cause of half the Fratton Gang getting killed. If it hadn't been for that we could have holed up in the cabin the whole time and let everyone fight it out outside.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 02:32:13 PM »
Oh, what tawdry tales, if a bit tardy, are weaved.   lol :o.

Shall another game occur as lawmen, well maybe different lawmen, ensue as they chase down the Snitzel gang?  Across state and territorial borders, even?  [Have an account around here somewhere about a lawman in the 19th century tracking a crime in California all the way to Oklahoma I think it was.  Apparently a lot less jurisdictional disputes back in those days.  But lawmen were quite dogged in their determination even then.]

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »
   I'm toying with using the Bigger Battles variant even where one might thing the game too small.  Essentially using a 'unit' for one figure for very small games.  Haven't tested it yet so not sure if it will work.

Might be a better way. I remember once we played the Galactic Heroes version and it was an option to to have a character as 3  actual figures on the table (as in low class minions) that all did the same thing (because of course they all activate on the one card.)
I think a maximum two of your characters could be converted in that way. But that would give you a larger team. Has.been might remember the details better than me.