Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ethiopian Tribal Maxim Gun pics  (Read 2892 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Ethiopian Tribal Maxim Gun pics
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
Plynkes was asking for some more details about my Ethiopian Maxim Gun conversion so here's a link to pics and more information
http://wabforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6767

Having a HMG was a pretty big status symbol for an Ethiopian chief - I modelled mine on the one that was owned by Abbu Jiffar, King of Jimma.  I saw it  in the museum and decided that I had to have one! :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Ethiopian Tribal Maxim Gun pics
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
Grand. Thanks for the pics, James. A much clearer view than the shot in the magazine. I've got a spare Maxim and had been trying to think of what figures to use in my conversion. I didn't realise that individual chiefs would have kit as heavy as this. I was going to make mine Mahel Safari. I think that might be easier to do anyway, as HMG figures usually come with some kind of uniform on, so a bit less converting to do.

I read somewhere that the Abyssinians had a few Stokes mortars. I'm thinking of using one of mine with some converted crew, too. Do you know if they ever actually used them in anger? I probably shan't bother if they didn't.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
I read somewhere that the Abyssinians had a few Stokes mortars. I'm thinking of using one of mine with some converted crew, too. Do you know if they ever actually used them in anger? I probably shan't bother if they didn't.

I just got the vision in my head that they we only used in wedding ceremonies.  lol

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
Grand. Thanks for the pics, James. A much clearer view than the shot in the magazine. I've got a spare Maxim and had been trying to think of what figures to use in my conversion. I didn't realise that individual chiefs would have kit as heavy as this. I was going to make mine Mahel Safari. I think that might be easier to do anyway, as HMG figures usually come with some kind of uniform on, so a bit less converting to do.

Certainly individual chiefs owned machine guns - the problem is that many sources don't specify whether heavy or light.  I don't think this particular Maxim was used in 1935-6, but troops from Jimma only saw minimal action in the Italain invasion.  Had they been sent to the Northern Front or the Ogaden I suspect it would have been a very different story (and it might not have survived for me to see in a museum in 2008!)

Anyway, you'll see that I left the loader with his army uniform - various tribesmen dressed themselves in acquired/captured uniforms whether they were in the Mahel Safari or not.  There's an interesting story of a brave Ethiopian guerilla who turned himself in to Graziani's Italians after the war, still wearing the uniform of an Italian officer he had killed.  My source doesn't say what happened to him...

Sorry, rambling again.  The Imperial Guard had a company of troops trained by the Belgians to use Stokes-Brandt 81mm mortars.  They only saw action in the big battle of Mai Chew, but managed to kill every Italian officer in the opposing 8th Mortar Battery, and caused great casualties in the men.  However, an eyewitness account says that only 6 mortars were in use.  So, they certainly existed, and were very effective, but in terms of gaming would be mainly restricted to 'what if' scenarios. 

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »
Lovely conversion James and brush work on the Maxim.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »
Lovely conversion James and brush work on the Maxim.

Helen

second that plus the whole set of figures and article is inspiring!
argsilverson

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
Well done, James.

I've been a bit disappointed by the current crop of Italo-Abyssinian War figures, since there are very few (if any) support weapons in the mix. Good to see someone attempting to tackle that problem.

-Doc

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
Well done, James.

I've been a bit disappointed by the current crop of Italo-Abyssinian War figures, since there are very few (if any) support weapons in the mix. Good to see someone attempting to tackle that problem.

-Doc

Thanks.  I agree that the lack of support weapons (especially LMGs) is an issue with both Askari and Empress Miniatures' ranges, but I know that Empress have plans to sort this out in the near future.  I think it's important to remember that the sale of Anglian to Empress has delayed production of some of these models, they were always planned.

Anyway, it's given me the chance to do a few interesting conversions. :)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »
It's a great article in WI, very inspiring.

Loved this line from your WAB forum post:

I saw the gun in a museum in Jimma, Ethiopia, hence its use in the model

A very impressive bit of research! Going to Addis would be dedication enough, but Jimma?! That's about as remote as you can get in Ethiopia...