Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan Renaissance Range arrives...  (Read 7665 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Artizan Renaissance Range arrives...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:22 AM »
No... the 17th C is the future, both in a relative and philosophical sense. :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 09:17:19 AM »
Mike sculpted the popular sea dogs and swashbucklers line for Foundry - cut off in its prime.
He's been threatening to return to the Renaissance ever since he started Artizan, and looks like he's finally taken the plunge. Personally, I think his seadogs and swashbucklers are the best figures he's ever sculpted (although many of the Thrilling Tales figures are also right up there). In fact, as I never tire of telling people, his sea dogs are my favourite 28mm wargames figures anywhere ever. So I'm hoping this venture will lead to a few more late Elizabethan types in due course...

Have just spotted this thread. What gorgeous figures!

I have a gang of Mike's Foundry swashbucklers on my desk right now, primed and waiting for paint. They truly are wonderful sculpts and I'm looking forward to getting them dolled up.

I don't think that I need these pikemen, but oh they look so great! But now my painting efforts have gone all 16th century of late, need is a pretty relative term, right?

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Foundry has a nice range but a) very incomplete, just gendarmes and landskects and b) too expensive for me. I need somebody to do a line that fills in all the gaps. Most of my Italian Wars armies are made up of Old Glory as they were the only ones at the time to have all the varied troop types. Now with the Assault Group's growing line and now Artizan, those OG figs might be getting replaced.
-J

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
I only have a couple of sets from this period, mostly Aztecs, but I do have the Sea Dog's small gun and crew.  Is that one of Mike's sculpts? If so, I do have one leetle quibble.  How in the nombre de dios is that gunner supposed to stuff that 18pdr shot down that 2pdr(?) bore?  :D  I'm not looking forward to carving the ball away to replace it with a smaller one!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
I do have the Sea Dog's small gun and crew.  Is that one of Mike's sculpts? If so, I do have one leetle quibble.  How in the nombre de dios is that gunner supposed to stuff that 18pdr shot down that 2pdr(?) bore?  :D 

The Sea Dog gunners are Mike Owen sculpts (although probably the least good sculpts in the range sadly - they look like they were done in a hurry to me, being not very subtle adaptations of other figures in the Sea Dogs range).

However, it's not Mike's fault that the ball is way too big for the gun, because that pack is a classic Foundry cut-and-shut job.

The gun is the same gun which originally appeared in the Copplestone-sculpted Eldorado adventurers gun and crew pack. So they don't go together because they weren't designed to go together!

Doesn't help you, I know, but worth knowing why  ;)

Offline Monk

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 03:30:07 AM »
I love Owens' work and have nearly all the KKBB, Thrilling Tales, Pirates, and many of the Wild West figures.  I even have a bit of WWII stuff awaiting paint.  I'm really hoping he gets to do more outside of WWII, stuff, though.

There's so much out there for World War II, that I can't fathom what gamers for that conflict are looking for, especially for the ETO.  The last five years has seen an explosion in the number of figures for it.  I don't even know that many people into 28mm WWII gaming.  It's costly, space intensive, and well-suited to big events, but not nearly common enough for me to go beyond painting up small groups of German soldiers for pulp gaming.  For gaming that conflict, I stick to 15mm. 

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »
Very nice, not my interest, but the figs are nice and well painted
I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
Fingers crossed on Wars of Religion etc this year from Artizan, I have been finishing of the old Foundry Seadogs and they are cracking minis

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
Fingers crossed on Wars of Religion etc this year from Artizan, I have been finishing of the old Foundry Seadogs and they are cracking minis

Amen to that, with bells on!

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »
Hurry up Mike must have more Swiss, then French etc.  Just painted  a load of landsknects they are full of character.  p.s need a Swiss hornblower with devil costume.  THE CID.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Threadomancy.................  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »
It happens.

I really like the look of these figures, and need to pick up some packs.  Need to!