Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cap Movie Concept art  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Re: Cap Movie Concept art
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
You hit that right on the mark!

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 02:09:16 AM »
White Knight, So how long have you worked in Hollywood? ;)

You have the "politics" down perfectly. lol

Personally, (for you older readers,) I'd like him to be a little ethnocentric (like Steve Canyon was excessively into a zoomie viewpoint) than be corrected as to the realities of coalition warfare/sacrifice (as Steve Canyon was corrected about there being more than an "air war" going on) by one of his allies, preferably not a Brit because that's the "obvious" choice.

Nothing to belittle the UK/Commonwealth sacrifice from 1939 through 1945 intended.  It just might have more impact from a Pole/Aussie/Canadian/Kiwi/Czech character because it would be so unexpected to most of the American audience.   8)  List truncated lest the point be lost in the listing.   :)

Yeah, that's likely...   ::)

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:11:11 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »
He's not a patriotic flag waver?!  They are still going to call him Captain AMERICA, right?

I've never seen Cap as a "flag waving" hero. Maybe they have written him differently in the last little while but I always thought of him as a more serious character and not blindly waving a flag but firm and quiet in his beliefs tempered by the horrors he has seen and experienced.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
I'm personally waiting for the scene when Cap arrives in the present-day, and we get to see a basically good person stumbling over some of his 1940s-era unquestioned mindsets as they bump up against the present day. Like, say, meeting Nick Fury.

Samuel L. Jackson: "That's Colonel Fury, Sgt. Rogers..."
Captain America: "But... you're  a negro!"
SLJ: "And still the ranking officer present... [Shakes his head] I can't wait 'til you meet the President!"
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »
I've never seen Cap as a "flag waving" hero. Maybe they have written him differently in the last little while but I always thought of him as a more serious character and not blindly waving a flag but firm and quiet in his beliefs tempered by the horrors he has seen and experienced.

Agreed. A lot of Cap's stories over the years have been about him questioning the status quo, and yes, even the government. He'll still be the stand-up hero everyone expects.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 11:13:24 PM »

Well, he certainly was during WWII, punching Hitler and all that stuff. And once Pearl Harbor happened... The original Kirby/Simon run was as flag waving as you could get.

Once he got thawed out, Cap went through an identity crisis trying to deal with the Sixties, and that's what gave birth to the personality he's harboured since. The old cartoon series (and the Iron Man, Thor, Submariner and Hulk cartoons) are a quick way of looking into the early modern Marvel universe, once you get past the ear-bleeding theme songs and poorly animated scenes that were obviously lifted from the comics...
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 02:51:48 AM »
I think it was disingenuous of Lee to have Cap so self absorbed about Bucky during Nam.  Rogers was still a commissioned officer in the United States Army at his awakening and to just ignore a national conflict no matter what your stance just sucks.  I know Lee choose to stay out of the whole Nam political thing but he was more then happy to tackle American race relations, poverty, drug abuse and tons of other social issues.  The only time Rogers was in Nam in the original cannon was in a single issue where he was fighting some of the Mandarin's troops to save some UN doctor in the warzone. I always thought Cap would be side by side with the troops no matter what the conflict because that is what he is, a soldier, a patriot, a symbol and our flag.  Cap has never been a tool of the government but by God he is a symbol of the United States and to say that he isn't a flag waver, even when he wears it, just lessens the character and pisses me off. >:(  But to be fair, over his run we have had both views as it all comes down to the writer and the editor at the time.

One of the greatest scenes of Cap was in "Blood and Glory" where Castle (ie Punisher) gave him the Vietnam Combat Infantry Badge and said, "You should have been over there.  I'm not saying to condemn.  It's just we needed good men at our backs, Captain.  A soldier needs his allies."  Cap looks down in reflection and as Castle walks away Rogers yells out "Captain Castle!" as he snaps into a salute to a fellow American soldier.  The two salute in the rain in front of the Tomb of the Known soldier.  Now that is some patriotic cheese baby and I want more of it.

But this opinion comes from an evil American bent on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. ;)
Brian

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 03:53:30 AM »
Well, he certainly was during WWII, punching Hitler and all that stuff.

Those were horrible, jingoistic products of WWII. :-)

I like how he was portrayed in Ultimates.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 03:56:45 AM »
Now that is some patriotic cheese baby and I want more of it.

I always find that sort of writing rather cloying and clumsy. Nuanced patriotism is a far more profound thing and it makes for a more believable and appreciable character.

Offline Snate56

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »
I always find that sort of writing rather cloying and clumsy. Nuanced patriotism is a far more profound thing and it makes for a more believable and appreciable character.

You're right, a little bit goes a long way, but there should be a little bit.

Personally, I'd like to see the scene from the Ultimates where he's on the plane and someone says,"How's he supposed to drop with us? Flag-boy's not even wearin' a 'chute!"

SteveN

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Ultimates cannon would have to be this.

Classic,
Brian

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
Avoiding the Hohay-politics, isn't Chris Evans too skinny and frankly, to good-looking to play Cap?

Now that Avengers is being filmed, I'm really looking forward to... Alpha Flight!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
Ultimates cannon would have to be this.

Sorry, should have said volume 1. I didn't enjoy the rest of the books.

That second series was insipid and based on this peculiar sense of victimhood that was really disturbing to read and see develop.