Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690546
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: African shields  (Read 8431 times)

Offline fantail

• Librarian
African shields
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »
I stumbled upon this interesting website that I thought some of you might be interested in. Lots of nice photos of various African shileds-many show both sides and other details.
http://www.hamillgallery.com/SITE/Shields.html
Nice reference for figure painting.
Andrew

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: African shields
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:05 AM »
Nice, a great reference!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
Thanks, Andrew.

Positive proof there that when painting your Masai shields you do not need to fret if it all goes a bit wonky...

These wooden Ngoni shields...

...are completely new to me. I'm somewhat sceptical to be honest, as they also have this...

... labelled as a Zulu shield. They either know much more than we do on the subject, or have no idea what they're talking about at all.  ??? ??? ???

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
Hmm. I'm tempted, but I'm not really taken with the colour/pattern. Oh well.

I already have a Swazi shield (which is near enough), so I'll pass until a Zulu one I like better comes along...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
Very nice shield Plynkes, but it don't really go with the tin hat and the football shirt.

I'm not one to judge but a bit of a fashion faux pas I think  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »
Yes, sorry. As far as the shirt and shield combo goes, I got Swazi mixed up with Stasi again, didn't I? (Yuk Yuk!)  :)

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:57 PM »
Great site, huge collections of shields, weapons, masks, dolls, puppets, fetish!!! thanks for the link!!!

A big treasure, all genius artworks

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
Interesting tid bit on Masai shields for you all...

From "Armies of the Nineteenth Century: Africa, East Africa; Tribal and Imperial Armies in Uganda, Kenya Tanzania and Zanzibar, 1800-1900" by Chris Peers:

MASAI SHIELD PATTERNS Numerous examples of Masai shield patterns, known as sirata, are recorded.  The great majority followed the same basic principles.  First the surface was stripped of hair, polished, and painted white.  It was then divided into two halves by a pattern called es segira, running from top to bottom, which - although varying in the details of its design - were supposed to represent cowrie shells.  Like the rest of the shield, this pattern was painted in black, white, red and occasionally grey. Thomson once mentions yellow, but no other authority confirms this.  No other colours were used, although the red could vary in shade.  On the left half of the shield (looking from the front) were elliptical designs indicating the clan and age-set of the bearer, which were usually in red.  On the right side there were sometimes patterns (generally in black), which were specific to individual warriors or related to sub-clans or families.  By the time anthropologists began to investigate the meanings of the shield patterns this system of clan 'heraldry' was dying out, and in most cases by the end of the 19th century the right had side of the shield was either left blank, like that of Figure 75, or carried a mirror image of the symbols on the left.  It is likely that the use of the family symbols had been more widespread in previous decades, but the precise details of their significance have not been recorded.  Smaller elliptical patterns at the top and bottom of the shield (see numbers 76n, o, and p) appear to have been temporary additions used to identify the warriors belonging to a war party or engaged in a specific campaign.  They seldom appear in illustrations, and were probably not often employed.  Twentieth-century shields were often very crudely decorated, but early photographs imply that men may have taken more care over them in the days when they were still used in war.  Hinde, writing in 1901, says that they were painted with 'extraordinary accuracy.'"  page 142

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
Well bloody hell. That blows my idea out of the water!  lol lol I have that book, but I obviously didn't take in that passage.

Back to practising those bloody shields, then.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »

Just when you think you've seen everything.....

lol

I won't ask what's going on there, but I suspect certain substances may have been involved   :?

Damn fine shield though and it's interesting to see the two different colours used for the straps on the same colour background.