Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Australian volunteers for VBCW?  (Read 8049 times)

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
Re: Australian volunteers for VBCW?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »
The truly fascinating incident in Australian right-wing politics of this period is the claimed attempt to enlist Sir John Monash as the figurehead for a New Guard coup.

Sir John was a known conservative and former C-in-c of the Australian Army, a huge war hero and immensely popular. According to some recent biographies, he told them to go and get stuffed in no uncertain terms.

A couple of uncomfortable points here. Monash was a patriot and loyal to Australia and, by extension, the Australian government of whatever politics (possibly short of outright communism). He was also Jewish and had faced down a number of snide attacks on his religion. The New Guard, in Australia at least, had a heavy Protestant Christian emphasis with a a fair share of Masonic members. I cannot speak for anywhere outside Australia but anti-Semitism was a serious factor in ultra-conservative politics. It always galled these clowns that our greatest soldier was Jewish.

A great man and well worth serious study.

Sorry to get serious about what is a fantasy after all but this isn't like zombies and vampires. You can't just whack in Cthulhu and hope for the worst in scenarios like this. This is a very complex period in Australian social life and, while revolution was never a serious possibility (from any side) there were deep undercurrents at work. For what it's worth DH Lawrence's "Kangaroo" isn't a bad look at some of the stressors (although I don't much like him). 

I'll get off my soapbox now.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
... some Western Australian sub-branch of the RSSIL was lauding the service of an ex-AIF man killed fighting in Spain for the Republic. I can't remember the exact details but I do recall being gobsmacked by the glowing praise showered on the chap for demonstrating the ANZAC spirit in volunteering to fight in Spain. Unlikely cause for the RSSIL to champion. Sometimes the bonds of comradeship exceed people's political inclinations.

Perhaps it was the anti-Catholic emphasis? A kind of 'well they may be Bolshies but at least they standing up against that Papist mumbo-jumbo' reaction.

The War in Spain caused a lot of alliances that we'd think of as being unlikely. For instance, some sections of the Irish Republican movement supported Franco, and even volunteered in the Nationalist versions of the International Brigades, because he was pro-Catholic.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
Not really "anti-Papist". It was a lot simpler than that and a lot clearer particularly after war was declared.

They were seen as "first to fight" against fascism and by extension, Nazism. The heartening thing was that most people recognised it as such. It was reinforced as Spanish "reffos" (refugees) appeared in numbers in Australia. Their politics tended to be "left" but they were also seen as hard workers, good blokes and liked a drop to drink. All qualities that appealed to us.  I suppose it was "these blokes are good blokes, the other blokes must be bastards then. And even worse, unlike the good blokes, they liked the Nazis."

The RSL's always been more complex than people give it credit for. There was a serious split many years ago when a lot of RSLs started calling themselves Soldiers' Clubs and Diggers' Clubs. Most of the blokes I know just wanted a quiet place to have a cheap drink and a meal and didn't want to know about politics.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »
Sorry to get serious about what is a fantasy after all but this isn't like zombies and vampires. You can't just whack in Cthulhu and hope for the worst in scenarios like this. This is a very complex period in Australian social life and, while revolution was never a serious possibility (from any side) there were deep undercurrents at work.

No need to apologise, I see your point. It is certainly a complicated series of events and bastardising this for the sake of a bit of dice-rolling isn't going to keep everyone happy.

Thanks for the information though, it's obviously an area that carlos and yourself have looked into a lot more than I have.

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »
Very interesting thread about an era that I as an Englishman knew little or nothing.
"For we went, changing our country more often than our shoes.
In the class war, despairing
When there was only injustice and no resistance." B. Brecht

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »

The RSL's always been more complex than people give it credit for. There was a serious split many years ago when a lot of RSLs started calling themselves Soldiers' Clubs and Diggers' Clubs. Most of the blokes I know just wanted a quiet place to have a cheap drink and a meal and didn't want to know about politics.

The West St Kilda RSL is a good case in point. Founded just after the Second World War by a group of returned servicemen who were fed up with the official line. So the story goes, they fronted up to the St Kilda Army & Navy club and paid their dues and were told by the Great War veterans that whilst they were welcome to join they wouldn't be welcome to sit at the bar, that was a privilege that was confined to First AIF men. So they all chipped in, raised a couple of hundred pounds and bought premises in Loch Street and started their own sub-branch. Fantastic spot, must be worth several million these days. Alas the membership is dying out as it's the only RSL, at least in Victoria, where the premises are acren't owned by the RSL but by it's members.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
No, what's that?

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
Fine unless you're a potential new recruit!
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline paul c

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:08 PM »
Or it rains...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:04 PM »
I was just enjoying a snifter over at the Edward the VIII Cocktail Bar and noticed the following:
http://gwargamesp.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2398&st=0&#entry28930

Now, this thread indicates to me that there is more than enough information to go on, especially for a fantasy setting.

Disgruntled members of the disbanded New Guard sympathising with Mosley's BUF rhetoric? Communist Party rabble seeing a chance to cut the head off the snake?

It'd be cool for the great southern land to have a mention in the new book :) (By the way, looks like NZ will get an entry, so...)

Anyone want to give me a hand and get something going for this?