Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any 15mm Skin Tutorials?  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Any 15mm Skin Tutorials?
« on: December 06, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
I've ordered my first 15mm minis and... I am looking for some skin painting tutorials for 15mm minis (not for 28mm because they have more detailed faces). Can somebody help me?

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
Re: Any 15mm Skin Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
here is a good site, but it's in spanish....

http://www.heresybrush.com/2009/como-pintar-caras-y-manos-en-15mm/

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
Keeper's 15mm step-by-step skin tutorial for those that don't wish to go mad:

1) Don't faff about;
2) Use two or three shades at most;
3) Remember you want an impression of skin from a distance on the table top, not something that will win a high standard painting comp (unless you're entering 15mm minis in a high standard painting comp, in which case, this tutorial isn't for you!);
4) Seriously consider NOT doing eyes on visible faces;
5) Just give it a go.  If it isn't right first time on your first couple of minis, trying something different and repainting 15mm skin doesn't take too much time!
6) Let us all know how you get on!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
I did mine with a base flesh and skin wash then a highlight and they came out ok. Picture on the blog.
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Grekwood

• Librarian
    • Grekwoods Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
you could use my 15mm painting method....

you'll need a pot of flesh coloured paint and a fine black pen...

1. open the pot of paint.. stick the brush in and blob the paint on to the 15mm figure.
2. wait for it to dry
3. use the fine nibbed pen to dot in tiny black dots for eyes
4. final optional step ... use a black wash or flesh wash to brush over the face and get into the creases

;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
3. use the fine nibbed pen to dot in tiny black dots for eyes

If doing it in that sequence, make sure the ink in the pen is waterproof, since otherwise, the model will show worse "makeup smears" than Amy Winehouse after an average night. I do not paint "solid" eyes as described above on 15mms (only do them as a commission, anyway), since it looks "overscale" even for my taste; a dark wash in the eyesockets usually looks fine, especially for "rank and file" troops.

Offline Grekwood

• Librarian
    • Grekwoods Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
If doing it in that sequence, make sure the ink in the pen is waterproof, since otherwise, the model will show worse "makeup smears" than Amy Winehouse after an average night. I do not paint "solid" eyes as described above on 15mms (only do them as a commission, anyway), since it looks "overscale" even for my taste; a dark wash in the eyesockets usually looks fine, especially for "rank and file" troops.

good point.. i had a rather nasty accident with a black pen on a 28mm mini... turned a human into a zombie..... it said it was waterproof but it smudged all across the face :? so now i make sure it is water proof first  lol

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Thanx for hepling!
What Citadel Flesh paint (I dont have Valejo in my local shop) would you recomend for base skin colour?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »
Thanx for hepling!
What Citadel Flesh paint (I dont have Valejo in my local shop) would you recomend for base skin colour?

Depends on your chosen force. For Europeans, I usually go with a "Bronzed Flesh" (thatīs what Citadel called it when I still used them, not that they are bad paints, mind you. They just pale in efficiency to Vallejo) and add a final wash that is suited to the figure, either black or dark brown. Elf Flesh for a lighter appearance, if you are so inclined.

As for Asians, at this size, the difference should be negligible, so use Bronzed Flesh for that as well.

Other, darker skintones I would paint with either the "Snakebite Leather" tone or "Scorched Brown" and Wash using Black, or a strong dark brown.

As said, all above recommendations apply to the old skintone names, since I havenīt used Citadel paints in years. They might be called different nowadays.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »
Nup, they are still called by the paint names you used. Have to say, I do prefer the Vallejo ones.

Depends on your chosen force. For Europeans, I usually go with a "Bronzed Flesh" (thatīs what Citadel called it when I still used them, not that they are bad paints, mind you. They just pale in efficiency to Vallejo) and add a final wash that is suited to the figure, either black or dark brown. Elf Flesh for a lighter appearance, if you are so inclined.

As for Asians, at this size, the difference should be negligible, so use Bronzed Flesh for that as well.

Other, darker skintones I would paint with either the "Snakebite Leather" tone or "Scorched Brown" and Wash using Black, or a strong dark brown.

As said, all above recommendations apply to the old skintone names, since I havenīt used Citadel paints in years. They might be called different nowadays.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
WOW! MEGA THANX TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!