Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 692
Total: 698

Recent

Author Topic: Some good suggestions for Lovecraft in space?;)  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Some good suggestions for Lovecraft in space?;)
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »
Ok, guys...

I am looking to do a Strange Aeons campaign for my group, but this will be a little different. I intend to set it on an abandoned moon colony (or something similar, maybe it'll be on another moon/planet, but you get my point.) I know there are a plethora of Lovecraftian horrors out there, but I'm not familiar with all of the possible sources.

Has anybody got some creative ideas they'd be willing to share?:)

-Doc

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Some good suggestions for Lovecraft in space?;)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
You might look at the background for Cthulhutech Game...
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
I've toyed around with the idea that the United States landed and colonised the dark side of the moon sometime in the early '30's. All that 'actual' footage was (as you all well know...) created by Stanley Kuberick on a sound stage in the late '60's to asuage peoples suspissions...

Alternately, the computer game 'Dead Space' is kinda like a lovecraftian 2001, also a pretty good cartoon movie by the same name...an O.K. comic spin-off with art by Ben Templesmith  :-*.

Or, for insperation, what about the movies:

'Life Force' - Space Vampire run amok on earth!

'Ghosts Of Mars' -Yeah, it sucked...but what is with that face on mars anyways...

'Alien' - Dangerous dink-headed monster chases self-sufficent yet sassy space mechanic thru bowels of space ship.

'Forbidden Planet' - Classic with Leslie Neilson (Naked Gun... lol) and space crew fighting an invisible Id monster.

Or what about that ol' chestnut 'Enemy Mine' - Human and alien forced to help one another on a savage alien world...

Hope that gives you a couple ideas...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »
'Life Force' - Space Vampire run amok on earth!

That description doesn't really capture the essence of the film. You should have said Hot Naked Space Vampire Chick runs amok on Earth!

It's not a very good film really, but that evaluation of its merits overlooks the fact that it's about a Hot Naked Space Vampire Chick who runs amok on Earth.

lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »
Good point...she is hot... ::)...and yes lads, she is naked...still, pretty cool space ship and the overall story is pretty good. Guilty Pleasure.

Let's also not forget:

'Prince Of Darkness' - crap modern horror story about the mathimatical nature of evil...cool idea at least...

'Event Horizon" - Sam Neill chews the scenery...in space. Also, hell is up in space...not heaven.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:47:02 AM »
GDW's magazine 'Challenge' had an article about Cthulhu mythos in Space:1889
http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs4/cthulhu1889.shtml

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
Just remembered another one.  The Call of Cthulhu RPG had a 'Cthulhu Now' supplement from the late '80s, early '90s, that featured a scenario based on 'The Colour from Space'.  The colour infested a space shuttle, which then crashed somewhere in the midwest.  It should be easy enough to shift the action to your moon base!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:07 AM »
My first thought was Phantom Space Man.   ;D

I'd go with "exploring a haunted spaceship" type game myself.  The first CoC game I ran involved an old colony ship that had reached the end of the universe and made it's way back.  Time and space were warped in the ship.  It was dark, and an unwholesome fungus was infesting all of the instrument panels.

I say take a story or scenrio that you favor, and put it up into space.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
All of the 'Quatermass' stuff is pretty much Lovecraft in space. If you can find them...

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Worldworks games has some great paper models, including a MARS base, that would work really well for this if you are planning to do 28mm.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »
"life force" is quatermass with one awesome naked chick, and a great story and some wonderful game ideas...

one of my all time favorites

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »
Cthulhu Rising: a CoC RPG supplement for Cthulhu in space, think "Outland" meets Cthulhu for the 23rd century.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=637

Jovian Nightmares: Madness in the Jovian system, source and adventures for Cthulhu Rising
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=2531

The books are based on hard science, and quite well done.
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:58 PM »
There's a short story in an anthology I read that had a Cthulhu-esque feel to it and was set in space... I think... though to be fair nothing much happened, in gaming terms. Some guy spent a long time brooding over whether old Perkins going mad had something to do with the 'things from Outside' or something. I won't spoil the end.

I'm sorry, I'm not really selling it, I know, but it was good. Shaft Number 247 by Basil Cooper it was, in "New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos" edited by Ramsey Campbell, a collection of short stories inspired (in pretty direct homage to, most of them) Lovecraft's work, and an unfinished short by Lovecraft completed by Martin S Warnes.

There was an old CoC short scenario in White Dwarf about 25 years ago where a team of investigstors working for an interstellar mining and frieght company had to investigate (what else would investigators do?) a survey ship that had disappeared. I can't remember off hand what issue, but I'll try to find out, you never know, someone might have one up on ebay.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »
I remember that WD scenario. It was played out using the Grenadier Space Marines and had a eagle transporter.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »
Deadspace (360game) and Event Horizon (Clive Barkeresque Hellraiser in space), two great ideas for a Cthulhu sci-fi game. Also take the essence of Alien, (abduction, impregation & mass murder) and you've got another great option, just throw a secret cult in there and Bob's your starspawn!

;)

The Commander

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.