Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heroclix  (Read 8954 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Heroclix
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »
Hey guys me again ;)
Was looking at Heroclix on models on FB the other day and it says the come with rules.
Anybody played these rules? Any good?

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: Heroclix
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »
The rules are okay.... I admit that I'm not a fan of them, so I'll try for an unbiased answer.  lol

1)  Characters are self contained rules wise, there's no building the characters from scratch.  All of the characters abilities can be found on their dial and base, there should be an accompanying card that explains the abilities.
2)  As a character takes wounds you click the dial in it's base that amount of times.  So over the course of a battle a character may grow weaker, or stronger as they are damaged.  Quite a few characters undergo some significant changes as they get hurt, such as the hulk and other "weres"
3)  The game uses a square map system where you count or measure, then move.  In addition when you activate a figure you have to decide whether to attack or move.  Some of the melee monsters have abilities that let them do both, but overall this is lacking in the game.  It's one of the things I've always been frustrated about.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Coming with the rules is a little misleading.  If you buy a starter it does.  If you buy a booster, they do not.  I recommend heading over to www.hcrealms.com if you are interested in that game.  You can download the latest rules there I believe.

I have thousands of clix and I used to play quite a bit.  I still collect the figures but kind of got out of the game.  Not enough depth and I like to make my own characters.  It can be a fast fun game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:03:10 PM by wellender »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
And they make great conversion fodder for other pulp games as well, as they're fairly easy to remove from the base and repaint.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Pretty much my reason for picking them up now and then.  There's some great figures in the recent set too.

And they make great conversion fodder for other pulp games as well, as they're fairly easy to remove from the base and repaint.

My bad on the starter, it's been quite a while since I last played.  I don't know about the recent sets, but some of the early ones had some balance issues with the characters.  One of the reasons I stopped playing and began repainting and converting my existing figures into pulp and retro sci fi minatures.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:47:58 PM »
Its no problem im going to play Heroclix with family uncles a massive comic book fan got me int othe game
and using figures im going to use the Inquisitor rulebook to tell a story about masked vigilantes.

Cheers for the help guys gonna pick up a few heroclix collections off ebay.

Steve

Offline nb246

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
It can be fun, but yes it does lack depth. It just seems limited to me.
The best strategies in the game can be cheesy and silly, but hey
sometimes that can be fun. I used to play ALOT and it just got
boring and again, no depth. Song of Blades and Heroes fixed that!
You can use any miniature in that game!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »
The Following characters from the New set work very nicely for Pulp Wargaming.

Kingpin (common) makes a great crime boss.  For a pulpy Heroclix game he'd be great too.
Hand Ninja (common)   What pulp game doesn't need ninjas?  Clix wise these guys look like they would work in a pulp based game.
Jimmy Woo (Common)  It's a dark haired man in a suit with a gun.  He could work as a Henchmen, Antagonist or Protagonist easily.  One of my favorite figures from the set.
M-11 (common)   A robot with a sci-fi retro look. 
Chase Stein (Uncommon)   I'm unfamilar with the Runaways, but this is one of the main characters aparently.  A great looking figure, right out of the pulps.  A blond man with googles and a bomber jacket with robotic boxing gloves.
Gorilla Man (Uncommon) It's a heavily armed Gorilla.  His weapons may be a little too modern for me, but the concept and sculpt are very pulpy.

warbeads

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
"... It's a heavily armed Gorilla.  His weapons may be a little too modern for me, but the concept and sculpt are very pulpy..."

Advanced weaponry?

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »
It can be fun, but yes it does lack depth. It just seems limited to me.
The best strategies in the game can be cheesy and silly, but hey
sometimes that can be fun. I used to play ALOT and it just got
boring and again, no depth. Song of Blades and Heroes fixed that!
You can use any miniature in that game!

How did you use Song Of Blades and Heroes for a superhero game?
Love to hear from you
Steve

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
"... It's a heavily armed Gorilla.  His weapons may be a little too modern for me, but the concept and sculpt are very pulpy..."

Advanced weaponry?

He has an AK-47 and an Uzi.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
Some good conversion-ready clix I've done are from older sets:

Lobster Jonson: from HC Indy set.  If you file off his chest symbol he makes a very good pulpy pilot, rocketeer type adventurer.

Abbey Chase from the Indy set makes a good Lara-Croft type when re-painted.

Rasputin: also from Indy set makes a good cultist leader, Cthulhu priest type. 

Major Maxim is a great SS WWWII experimental figure

Gorilla Grodd is a fantastic pulp Intelligent ape leader type:

I'll try to get some pics up of my repaints.
This is my boomstick!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
Perhaps.  The first chance I get, I'll be doing a conversion with a Tommygun and Broomhandle Mauser.

Advanced weaponry?

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:09:53 PM »
The Following characters from the New set work very nicely for Pulp Wargaming.

Kingpin (common) makes a great crime boss.  For a pulpy Heroclix game he'd be great too.
Hand Ninja (common)   What pulp game doesn't need ninjas?  Clix wise these guys look like they would work in a pulp based game.
Jimmy Woo (Common)  It's a dark haired man in a suit with a gun.  He could work as a Henchmen, Antagonist or Protagonist easily.  One of my favorite figures from the set.
M-11 (common)   A robot with a sci-fi retro look. 
Chase Stein (Uncommon)   I'm unfamilar with the Runaways, but this is one of the main characters aparently.  A great looking figure, right out of the pulps.  A blond man with googles and a bomber jacket with robotic boxing gloves.
Gorilla Man (Uncommon) It's a heavily armed Gorilla.  His weapons may be a little too modern for me, but the concept and sculpt are very pulpy.
Here's the complete list of all the figs in the latest HC set.

The Gorilla with gun is the first one on the fourth row.
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 05:10:43 PM »
Its no problem im going to play Heroclix with family uncles a massive comic book fan got me int othe game
and using figures im going to use the Inquisitor rulebook to tell a story about masked vigilantes.

Cheers for the help guys gonna pick up a few heroclix collections off ebay.

Steve

Do you have any guides or tables for super powers? I have thought of doing this as well, but don't have much experience in play Inq, nor modifying rules for one. I was also wondering for something with "Force" powers for Starwars