Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WChris' Catch-all AvP Thread  (Read 9175 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
WChris' Catch-all AvP Thread
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »
At Fiasco, I bought a set of the GZG/Eureka "Hunter Aliens". Since they were indeed a bit puny to work properly next to my usual run of Foundry, EM-4 and Copplestone Future Wars stuff, I got the basic "Hunter Aliens" from Copplestone Castings as well.

Having watched the (apart from the visuals, abysmally bad) Aliens vs. Predator movie, IŽm considering getting the Predators with guns as well, and use them in a variety of roles, from Hunting Party to Alien Special Forces/Mercenaries.

First, the GZG/Eureka Miniatures:

The Copplestone stuff (based on 30mm round bases since 25s looked just a bit too small):

And a size comparison:

Obviously, IŽll have to "relegate" the Eureka figures (which arenŽt half bad per se to "Youngling" status.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:22:11 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: "A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go..."
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
"... weŽll catch a little xenomorph, whose skull we'll make a trophy of, and some Commandos, too!"

Ahem. At Fiasco, I bought a set of the GZG/Eureka "Hunter Aliens". Since they were indeed a bit puny to work properly next to my usual run of Foundry, EM-4 and Copplestone Future Wars stuff, I got the basic "Hunter Aliens" from Copplestone Castings as well.

Having watched the (apart from the visuals, abysmally bad) Aliens vs. Predator movie, IŽm considering getting the Predators with guns as well, and use them in a variety of roles, from Hunting Party to Alien Special Forces/Mercenaries.

First, the GZG/Eureka Miniatures:

The Copplestone stuff (based on 30mm round bases since 25s looked just a bit too small):

And a size comparison:

Obviously, IŽll have to "relegate" the Eureka figures (which arenŽt half bad per se to "Youngling" status.

Wait till you pick up one of Andy's Hurn the Hunter, (Heresy ltd ed), will make the copplestone's look like teenagers and the GZG/eureka ones little un's in power ranger costumes. ;)

Nice though

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »
Wait till you pick up one of Andy's Hurn the Hunter, (Heresy ltd ed), will make the copplestone's look like teenagers and the GZG/eureka ones little un's in power ranger costumes. ;)

Am I the only person on the web who considers this figure (judging from photos, IŽll admit) terribly hyped and overrated?

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
 Andy's HUrn is very good.You get a nice selection of weapon options too.The Horror Clix Pred's are cool too.You can pick them up cheap on Ebay every now and then.

Nice painting by the way.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:47:09 PM »
Am I the only person on the web who considers this figure (judging from photos, IŽll admit) terribly hyped and overrated?

*coughs*

Make that two of us. I think it's a decent sculpt, just not quite the amazing revelation in sculpting that some are calling it. I think he'll sell well, and I hope Heresy makes a small fortune on him (they deserve it!) but I'm in the same boat you are with this, Chris.

-Doc

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »
*coughs*

Make that two of us. I think it's a decent sculpt, just not quite the amazing revelation in sculpting that some are calling it. I think he'll sell well, and I hope Heresy makes a small fortune on him (they deserve it!) but I'm in the same boat you are with this, Chris.

-Doc

Ah, so IŽm not crazy after all. IŽm all for Heresy`s stuff (painted a lot as commissions, and those were all excellent), but this one leaves me thinking "meh". Which is a shame, because due to his size, he would have made quite a nice "pack leader".

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »

Me too.

I think the Horror Clix sculpts are better (from the pictures I've seen so far). They are quite large though.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »

Actually your probably the only person on the web to misread a post that talks about the difference in size of the figure from the previous as some indication of over hyped fan worship though!  ::)

The problem I have with Andy's figure is it's too wide and a bit portly rather than being big and lean, also the head is kinda lost in the body. Understand that the main release after the prototype will also have head/helmet options. I'm going to resculpt one I've got to be helmeted rather than bear headed.

Back onto the subject, my favourite 'not' predator has to be one I got from a US company in resin, really wicked action pose, very limited and the moulds have been retired now. I'll try to take a picture of it this week. I've got the copplestone hunters too and a good smattering of heroclix.

The Commander
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:52:25 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »
@Thorbjűrn: Yeah, but so is the Predator from the movie...it's somewhere between 6 and 7 feet tall. So that's actually quite fitting 8)

I really like Heresy's Predator, but I converted it with a Hordes Totem Hunter's weapon to use it as a Totem Hunter in Hordes:

Gives him a lot more OOMPH and looks awesome on the table.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
Me too.

I think the Horror Clix sculpts are better (from the pictures I've seen so far). They are quite large though.
Horror clix large , they are MASSIVE  I know the predators are big guys but these are huge. I just measured one of them , from foot to eye he was 42mm
That aside they are very nice
Dex

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »
from foot to eye he was 42mm

Sounds about right to me.

As an interesting aside, the pred in the first film was about 7'6". The guy who played him was 7'2" and the suit added a couple of inches above and below him :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:31:20 PM by Dewbakuk »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Sounds about right to me.

As an interesting aside, the pred in the first film was about 7'6". The guy who played him was 7'2" and the suit added a couple of inches above and below him :)

I didn't realise they were that tall :o

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 02:31:27 AM »
IMHO - I think the heorclix ones are prefect!
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »
I didn't realise they were that tall :o

Yup, height's right on those Heroclix.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
@ original post:

Nice paintjob but the piccies are a bit dark and grainy. For the models I personally would go for the copplestones since I'm not too fond of the oversized look 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins