Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28 mm toy train  (Read 7260 times)

former user

28 mm toy train
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
Hello there

just in case it is unknown, I recently discovered this train:

manufacturer unknown, retailer unknown, pops up frequently at ebay.

scale roughly 0 gauge, but closer to 28 mm - actual track gauge is 2,80 - 3 cm (diverging info)
is reasonably priced, comes along in different combinations, available carriages include tank waggon, passenger coach, flatcar, gondola, boxcar/stockcar?
It appears that it comes with US central couplin/buffering, allthoufg the Loco has European buffers...

also toy scenery accessoires, but train is reasonably detailed IMHO
also RC, sound and smoke effects

the Loco is a DRG 89.0 IMHO  (but ,maybe someone knows better - @MICHI?)
so late interwar to 1970es in Europe (GDR, Poland)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRG_Class_89.0

check it out in toy stores - the one with the link is from Bielefeld/Germany
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:11:03 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: 28 mm toy train
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »

I took the liberty to fix the link. The Wiki tag goes around plain text, for direct wikipedia urls, use the url tag.

Nice find, by the way. I've been looking for such a thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRG_Class_89.0

former user

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
thx

here is a picture, but not permanent (ebay), couldn't find another one

I must point out that I did not have it in my hands!

note that it is a tank locomotive, so the tender is actually useless unless You convert the loco (my guess it is for the 8! AA batteries)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:15:40 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »

note that it is a tank locomotive, so the tender is actually useless unless You convert the loco (my guess it is for the 8! AA batteries)

Indeed that´s a simple 89 series shunting engine of Reichsbahn design. A few were build for shunting service in certain large passenger stations. Like former user said, the tender is absolute nonsense and also lacks any prototypical authenticity. The cars however could be accepted as typical German (or continental European) pre WW1 goods wagons and carriage with the exception of the tank car which has a welded tank that would be more believable for post WW2. Note that all prototype wagons are narrow gauge models, while the loco is standard gauge!

former user

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »
Note that all prototype wagons are narrow gauge models, while the loco is standard gauge!

on which issues can You see that? please explain

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »
on which issues can You see that? please explain

The last wagon (grey gondola/plank wagon) has central couplers and no buffers. The carriage is higher than wide, the van´s roof should look rounded like the carriages, but is angled like an Italian, plus its side walls are typical for narrow gauge goods vans (weaker superstructure and again higher than wide body). All in all the train looks like a cheaper copy of certain starter sets from well reputated brands. Fleischmann Magic train did very much the same tank cars and gondolas.
Note the vans there too. It seems they simply copied the bodies but altered the roofs:
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.letrainmagique.com/images/Magic_train15.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.magic-train.com/&usg=__0dIJ_khNuZRB61eDrOcnSyZpL6w=&h=574&w=793&sz=105&hl=de&start=8&um=1&tbnid=UpadqPUEmkKheM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfleischmann%2Bmagic%2Btrain%26hl%3Dde%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:de:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

former user

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
I see, thx

so it is basically a proportion thing...
Well, You have to be very experienced in railway to see this...

I read that the Pola/Lima gauge 0 range was sold to east Asia - I wonder when we will get to see the cheap versions of these....
The train above seems to be quite new on the market.
Since Lenz recently adopted a high price/quality policy with details usually seen only on handcrafted models I guess we are to expect some big scale railway modelling inflation pretty soon - especially since with the new available cheaply minature engine/akkumulator/RC technology there is no reason  to charge such prices, as we have seen with the new RC planes/helicopters

Goldlok als has two scales and RC upgrade versions

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »
O-scale is actually too big for 25-28mm which figures out to be abt 1/60 or 1/64 scale. The closest model RR scale is S-scale @ 1/60. The only problem is that S-scale engines and rolling stock can be somewhat hard to find and are pricey when you do.On3 - narrow guage do seem closer than standard O-scale however.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:13:17 PM by Cheeky Monkey »
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »
I own a variant of that train. The wagons are the same but the engine was available in three variants, I bought the steam one obviously :) It was available as a christmas gift set a couple of years ago. Yes, the batteries are in the tender.

O-scale is actually too big for 25-28mm which figures out to be abt 1/60 or 1/64 scale. The closest model RR scale is S-scale @ 1/60. The only problem is that S-scale engines and rolling stock can be somewhat hard to find and are pricey when you do.On3 - narrow guage do seem closer than standard O-scale however.

That's a matter of opinion  ;)  Put a figure with or without base next to a 1/64th model and it's clear they're nowhere close. O scale is too big, true but personally I think it looks better than the too small stuff, assuming it's US O and not UK. I've never actually seen any S scale stuff in person to judge it which shows how difficult the damned stuff is to get.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »
Dew - its probably also a matter of location - as it seems that different areas of the world use different sizes for the equivalent "scale". Here in the US it seems like the S-scale stuff that I have seen is real close. I've been thinking of adding a rail service to the castle I am building but since most of the RRs in southern Poland seem to have been narrow guage I'll probably be forced to go with On3.  :)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »
The topic of model train scale and it's applicability to wargaming is in par with Jason Voorhees when it comes to not wanting to die.