Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Terrain  (Read 220430 times)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: New Buildings -- WIP
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
If it weren't for all those pesky mountains I think I would enjoy the occasional trip to the coast. Get some of that good ol' sea breeze I've not seen in, well... A number of years. You know, I've been all the way up to the top of BC but not further than Kelowna going west.

As for the anvil... Well, if you want to pay the ludicrous shipping that will come with a chink of metal that size... Naww, we still use that occasionally. lol

Actually, Creston is more like 3/4 of the way across and a stone's throw from the border. Petro and cheese is cheaper down there too. :)

Sorry for derailing your thread train!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »

Hey guys! Thanks for the posts! Today I finished painting the buildings in white and next they will be stained by my dad. In this first picture I’m texturing one of the more difficult buildings we’ve been working on. In the front there are three buildings that are almost done and have recently received there last layer of color by dad.

This next picture is of all ten of the buildings we have created in different stages of the coloring process. The lightest ones are the ones I did today. The tan ones, in the top right hand corner, have been stained. The ones that look like they’ve been to Tatooine are ready to have windows and doors added.

Here we show the last scene at a different angle. You can see the ramp of the building I had to paint the inside of, trust me when I say that was hard. That building was also the one I designed… My part is mostly done now. But I might help out with the doors and windows.

Be back soon. Wolf out.  :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »
Great work there, WG.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
Pure wow. Inspired me to research Rabbit Cutters. Eventually I figured out what I really was looking for and managed to get one on sale today.  ;)

EDIT: Templates would be most welcome if you have them to share!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:24:35 AM by Mr. Peabody »
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 03:15:03 AM »
Your village is really starting to flesh out. :)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 03:48:26 AM »
Were these buildings drawn up, and measurements figured out, all on paper before the carving of foamcore?

I'm pretty new at making buildings and have no earthly idea how you did the steps atop that one building or the ramp behind that other building. At best all my work would look VERY blocky and clones of each other.  :?

The Star Wars look never occurred to me at all! But I do keep expecting to see Indy Jones come tearing into the scene in a truck carrying a powerful religious artifact recently acquired from the evil Nazis!

Templates would be most welcome if you have them to share! - I second this!!! Most welcome indeed!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:17:39 PM by warrenss2 »
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

former user

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
the texturing gets better and better

I would like to see the finished colouring (like in the picture where You are behind them) in a better photograph please - it's marvellouus, but a bit dark to see properly

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
 :-*

That's one heck'va building project.

Looks to be progressing superbly.  Keep up the good work you guys!   :D

;)

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »
They look awesome, I think I should acquire some foamcore soon.
I’m actually making some buildings of a similar design, tough I am using cardboard and ungodly loads of texture paint for it.

Anyhow, some things you might find useful as well.
Making some plain buildings with some standardized side lengths, each half the size of the other. That way you can be stacked or placed side by side, allowing to represent even more different building styles.
Cutting a foam crafts globe in half, this can be placed atop buildings to make the half domes you might see in the more middle eastern villages.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
Ummm... What sized fender washer did you use for those big arches? 2 or 2 1/2 inch?

You got my brain pan cooking up ideas already.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Were these buildings drawn up, and measurements figured out, all on paper before the carving of foamcore?

Heya Warrenss2 -- There is a building with 2" arches, but the tall one that has an arch through the middle is about 2.5". Making stairs with foamcore is fairly easy --
1. First cut out about 4-5 small pieces of foamcore (about 1" to 1-1/8" square).
2. Stack the squares and then scoot each piece back about 3/16" to 1/4" from the piece below it.
3. Mark some guidelines on each piece and glue everything in place.
For taller stairs, simply use more squares. Towards the middle of the second picture below is a little sketch of this idea.

Yes, I sketched out the basic ideas and tried to decide on dimensions prior to cutting anything out. Invariably something always changes a little along the way. I don’t really have templates as such, but here are some of my crude doodles:

THANKS!

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »
I am quite sure you have a different definition of "crude doodles", sir.    ;)   I am wondering what it would take to convince you to turn some of those drawing into actual templates? And, or, if anyone has a link to a resource that has templates for making these sorts of model buidlings out of foam card?

A.Nik-

Offline warrenss2

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:22 AM »
I am wondering what it would take to convince you to turn some of those drawing into actual templates?

That would be sweet!!!!

Happy New Year!

Offline ray

• Assistant
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »
These sorts of buildings are a bit of an obsession for me!! If you are interested in templates or city layout, feel free to get in touch.  I have some photos at: artofwarterrain.com

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2010, 09:20:29 AM »
very nice colors ,can´t wait to see the finish buildings .

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708