Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The return of the mark of Zorro - An AAR...  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The return of the mark of Zorro - An AAR...
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
Today we played our annual Christmas holidays game which this year was "The return of the mark of Zorro"

Basically it was a rehash of the game played at BLAM 2009, so apologies if the photos bear some similarities to those of the previous game. However the outcome was not as before.

The premise was the dastardly governor was still taxing the poor, feelthy peons and Zorro once again took to his saddle to relieve the authorities of their ill gotten loot still hampered by local banditos also keen on helping themselves to the monies.

This time the players starting positions were chosen on the cut of a card with the corresponding card number relating to a specific building on the table. The players declared their location only when they decided to exit the building.

Here are some shots of the table set up, showing all the latest buildings( I definately need a bigger table for the next game :D)

Luckily for Zorro he started off hidden in the church, the taxes being collected right outside.

Unfortunately though he was discovered quickly as Sargento Garcia promptly exited his hiding place and immediately starting searching the church looking for the fox.

The Seguin family, nefarious local banditos did not have a good time, they were shot down by the Presidiales captain before getting anywhere near the loot. The remaining bandits were forced to scuttle off the table to regroup and drink more Tequila to build up their nerves to return to the fight.

So Zorro was forced into action early and set about securing the cash box. He quickly cut down several troopers, pushed back El capitan and grabbed the box.

Unfortunately Zorro was not able to make a quick escape as Presidial troops appeared all around him.Soon he was surrounded on all sides and made a fighting retreat, unable to call for his trusty steed Tornado.

He ran the capitan through with his Spanish Toledo blade then retreated into the church and up onto the roof (via the soon to be "bell tower ";) ) fighting all the way.

A running battle ensued across the church roof with Zorro still in possession of the cash box alternating between sword fights and running with shots being fired at him.

Thinking they had him cornered Sargento Garcias men pursued Zorro right to the back of the church roof, with seemingly no place for Zorro to run to. However they had forgotten his trusty bullwhip...

Fortunately for Zorro the nearest tree was only three inches away,  just within whip range and in true Hollywood fashion Zorro won the initiative, lept from the roof and swung towards the nearest tree and safety...

Sadly in doing so he had used up all of his fame and fortune points and was quickly shot down by the much improved marksmenship of Garcia and his men.

The cash box tumbled to the ground and was picked up by the remaining bandito, but he was also shot and forced to flee the table leaving the money behind.

So the game ended with victory for the evil governor and Zorro supposedly lying dead somewhere in the corn field where he had landed after having fallen from the church roof. But nobody rememebered to check on the whereabouts of his body....

The post match experience/fate rolls revealed that Zorro had survived the seemingly fatal shooting and would return to fight again another day. ;)

Ay Carumba! :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:36:57 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: The return of the mark of Zorro - An AAR...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
Superb: great pics, great report, great figures, love the buildings; just great  :-* 8)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
 :-*

Darn that is a nice table.

And the church is magnificent!

Amazing how that Zorro guy always seems to slip away...  ;)

former user

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
applause applause! :)
where was Thunder?

again I am staring to miss the opportunity to embed music into a topic  :)

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
Brilliant game - I MUST get my Zorro figures painted !!!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Looks cracking that mate  :-*  :-*

You know you always need a bigger table (or one at the right height  ;)  lol )

Good to see Zorro sticking his thumb at the authorities, although I'm sure it would be interesting to see what happens when he loses  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
I sense the scriptwriter was on the ball and quickly made an alternate ending!

Nice report Nick an a fine looking setup.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
Once again a very lovely Game - possibly "The Game"
(at least with Zorro!)

Yes Malamute, you need a larger table. There is no room to place your Governor's Palace, you said you are preparing!
argsilverson

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:19 AM »
I am in love..... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Great job Malamute!! Stunning...simply stunning!! Looks like it was a lot of fun!!

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 04:48:28 AM »
What a fun game!  Do you use .45 Adventure or Glorie Malamute to run your games?  Your Spanish buildings are some of the best I have ever seen!  I loved reading about how you built them.  Great battle report.

Also would love to hear what you have planned for your beautiful miniature range for 2010! ;)

Darkoath

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »
What a fun game!  Do you use .45 Adventure or Glorie Malamute to run your games?  Your Spanish buildings are some of the best I have ever seen!  I loved reading about how you built them.  Great battle report.

Also would love to hear what you have planned for your beautiful miniature range for 2010! ;)

Darkoath

We use Legends of the Old West, They seem to work well with heroes etc.

Next year for Boot Hill Miniatures will see the release of more Texian adventurers in january including James Bowie and William Travis. Followed in the spring by the bulk of the Mexican army - regular infantry, Cazadores (sharpshooters), regular cavalry and then artillery.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
Great report Malamute, and that's a nice idea to have everyone hidden at the start of the game.  :)

Obviously this new fellow isn't as dashing as his predecessor, though.  ;)

No, wait, that makes me Anthony Hopkins...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
Fantastic stuff! A great advert for your figures and added incentive to get my own stuff ready for a game  :D

10 out of 10!

warbeads

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
"... Followed in the spring by the bulk of the Mexican army - regular infantry, Cazadores (sharpshooters), regular cavalry and then artillery..."   :-*

Spring 2010 looks good from here.   :)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:49 AM »
Bugger. Garcia's Presidiales popped Zorro???!!

You're making my handling of El Sargento gordo in the previous game look bumbling and inept!

...Oh - wait a minute...  ;)