Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos in Progress Park!  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Chaos in Progress Park!
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
The weather was warm and pleasant for April. Under the clear evening sky, the crowds had gathered to celebrate the opening of The Oriental Garden at Progress Park. All the biggest names in New Commerce were in attendance to see the unveiling of the Buddha Pagoda. Two Foo Dogs stood guard on either side of it, their golden sheen almost equal to that of the reclining Buddha.

As the celebration was getting into full-swing, chaos broke out. Suddenly, there were men in green robes and hoods storming into the park, firing guns into the air, and creating absolute panic. Tables were overturned, those in attendance fled in every direction, but the green-hooded men were everywhere.

They seemed to be targeting specific people, pushing some aside (even those whose abduction almost guaranteed a tidy ransom) and trying to grab others. But there were people in attendance that these green-robed thugs had not counted on.

I had seven players in attendance for the start of the .45 Adventure pulp campaign. Six players ran factions and one person helped me in running the green-robed mooks trying to bust up the party. There were eight Encounter Markers, four of them were important people that the Jade Hood’s gang were trying to capture, 4 were Jade Hood men who had disguised themselves as waiters, busboys, etc.

There were also 12 civilian models scattered about the board. The civilians would move randomly at the end of each turn. If they moved within an inch of one of the players’ models, then it would “attach” itself to the model in the hopes of getting away safely. For each civilian/”named” Encounter character that a player tried to escape with, their SPEED was reduced by 1”.

The game was set to a strict 2 hour time limit. If the player had not exited the board by the time the game was called, they lost whatever Victory Points (Heroic and Reputation Experience points) they would have earned. Luckily for all the players, they all managed to get off despite one close call from the overambitious Sheik Jai'Bah Ali Huttah who tried to go back in and capture one of the Jade Hood men (that turned out to be Lou!). He was able to limp off the board with just one wound box left on his legs.

The players were only told to bring their Grade 3 leader (each of the factions could have a total of 6 Grades only one of which could be a 3) and that any firearms the model would normally have, he would not get for this scenario. They knew that the game would start at a social event but had no idea what to expect.

Players could also steal civilians “named encounters” from other players. Chang the Iron Fist lost both his named encounter people, first to Brother Ignacio (who quite enjoyed taking from other players) and then to Amira al Hajim (who though without her customary sword, was still quite a foe).

For their part, the Mooks could not use firearms until they were within 3” of a faction character (they were ordered to capture the four people they were looking for and not to shoot unless they could guarantee one of their targets would not get hurt).

Players could also capture a Mook by declaring that their attack would be an attempt to render him unconscious. This would mean his attack would be at half Weapon Strength, but if they were to get a Killed result, it would be an Unconscious instead.

The game played out in 90 minutes with all the mooks killed (or in the case of Chang the Iron Fist dismembered or unconscious).

You can see a couple of more pictures of the event here.

http://rattrap-productions.com/ImageGallery/main.php?g2_itemId=394
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
Great looking board and a fun looking game. Great job, Rich.

Chuck

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:15:16 PM »
That looks awesome. How, if I may ask, did you make the paving on the path?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
Used a Heated foam sculptor to carve into the insulation foam base for the walkways.

Scored cardstock for the base under the Buddha.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
Rich, this wall is a great piece, how did you make it?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
Looks nice, Rich! Where were you playing?

Offline Goldwyrm

• Assistant
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »
Rich, Thanks for running a great game as usual. I enjoyed this particular scenario a lot because I was able to manuever to avoid combat altogether and still make it off the board with game objectives met.

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:24:59 PM »
I'm really impressed. When Rich was talking campaign game, I was expecting quickly laid out boards.

This is really, really nice.

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
Rich, this wall is a great piece, how did you make it?

The wall is foamcore, with a brick pattern that I created on the computer then printed out and glued to the foamcore. The end-caps are (in this order from bottom to top)wood, foam, cardstock, and then a wooden ball glued to the top. They are held in place on the board with cocktail sticks and can be pulled off for transport.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 03:48:21 AM »
Realy realy nice Terrain  :love:
where do you get the thick birch trees I onlyy get small ones  :cry: and whant to have big ones also  :P

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 06:28:35 AM »
definitely nice, and the game must have been a blast! I may steal the idea in some time...
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
Chaos in Progress Park!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:29:52 AM »
You can steal the idea if you want. In fact, I may put the scenario up on the website with a few modifications that I think will make it even better.