Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686617
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 78th Foot, Fraser's Highlanders in the F&IW  (Read 7254 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: 78th Foot, Fraser's Highlanders in the F&IW
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
Ahhh, the joy of socks  ;)

Offline Krimson

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
So how do you do Tartan and hose like that!!!??? I struggle to keep them lines straight and the gaps even

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
If only I had actually got to play with them properly, instead of having the whole command wiped out by the second turn!

They looked attractive enough whilst I was scalping them...
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:22 AM »
What's the world coming to, eh? Englishmen using the term French and Indian War now? I suppose it's only right as we have a MacDonalds and Starbucks in every town nowadays.  :)

Lovely job. Everybody always fixates on tartan, but it is the work on the hose that really catches my eye.

I have to agree... the hose is outstanding!  You will have to give us a nice tutorial on how you painted the hose!  I think that might be the best technique I have seen Captain! :-*
Again love how your colors just pop!  Your miniatures must really stand out on your tabletop!  What company makes these highland miniatures that you used?  Are they Redoubt?

Darkoath

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »
I have to agree... the hose is outstanding!  You will have to give us a nice tutorial on how you painted the hose!  I think that might be the best technique I have seen Captain! :-*
Again love how your colors just pop!  Your miniatures must really stand out on your tabletop!  What company makes these highland miniatures that you used?  Are they Redoubt?

Darkoath

Ah - thanks chaps.

The figures are Front Rank. I'd have gone for Redoubt, as their highlanders are not bad sculpts (less lumpy than their other F&IW regulars) - only for some reason they flatly refused to sell me a pack of mixed skirmishing poses. You have to buy 6 advancing, 6 firing, 6 charging, 6 standing etc etc. Terribly old fashioned - so screw them.

These Front Rank figures are quite nice, although the hands are a bit vestigal on most of them.

Galloping Major's will be infinitely superior, I'm certain, but alas, they're some way down the sculpting schedule by all accounts  ;)

The hose are actually pretty easy to paint, believe it or not.

The plaid is a right pain in the arse though. Took ages.
(Actually, it's a lot more detailed than you can see from the pictures... Maybe I'll do some ultra close-ups at some point  ;))

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »
Apologies for being late to the party.

Can I add my praise for such beautiful looking figures and I can honestly say they look even better in the flesh.

Sorry I had to scalp so many of them in that game, but I seem to remember they gave my Huron a bit of a kicking anyways.

Wonderful stuff.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »
These are cracking Cap`n, now Jacobite Rebellion that is something I would love to do one day, tried with Redoubt ECW Highlanders which are nice but a little limited in poses and too early. Again Mike Owen was going to do a range :-* which would have been superb

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
Apologies for being late to the party.

So do I, but I can't pass on them : those are so beautiful  :-* I think it's probably your best brushwork - or at least, the one I like the much... But i'm little biaised on the era...  :) In a more objective way, I think you manage very succefully one of the most tough challenge for a painter : to match the 3 primary colors in a  coherent way, and dear, how they match  :o :-*

meow,
Matt

We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies