Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: STARGUARD! (Finally!)  (Read 26342 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: STARGUARD! (Finally!)
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »
Song of Blades and Heroes (and spin-offs) was just a bit too oversimpliefied for me and missed it's mark completly. Especially the fact that you close combat and shooting capability are based on the same stat made no sense to me, and made it a dull game (at least in our case)

Well, in Gutshot! ALL your actions ar performed using the same target number (with different modifiers). It makes for a fast and still very cinematic and enjoyable game, though. Never tried SBH, though....  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:29:09 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
My suggestion would to use a modification of Combat Zone or maybe WH40k Rogue Trader. Rogue Trader could be a good bet as its extremely easy to make new races, and has everything you could really want (even if the vehicle rules are a little clumsy). I've also put my own homebrewed rulesset up on the net which is also meant to be very customisable, if you're interested see my sig.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »
oi!  Rules decisions!

On a side note, Spugs and BioBugs (from Mega minis) would make great supplementary troops to a Dreenoi army.

So now I have a ton of minis and don't knwo what to do with them (other than paint them ;)).  

I've checked out some of those rules systems.  Some have things that interest me, some have things (sometimes minor) that turn me off.  For example, Stargrunt, which seems to be the second most popular sci fi mini game after 40K always gets props for being "realistic"...which is something I don't really desire in my sci fi mini games.  I want fast and cinematic).  5150 sounded good at first, but, I certainly don't like the idea of a game that "runs itself", as I like feeling like I'm in controll of my victories and failures.

Guess I'm looking for something fairly standard, not a lot of artsy fartsy new ways of doing things, just solid and simple rules...but with style and feel.  SoB&H is a great Fantasy Skirmish game (IMHO, the best out there right now) and a Sci Fi version would be great...but, I would want it to cover technology, weapons, heavy weapons, vehicles, and all that other stuff with a bit more level of detail than SoB&H.  I don't want my sci fi game to feel the same as my Fantasy game.  Core mechanics are fine,, but it should definately have a different feel when playing it.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline froboyharrell

• Student
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »
First timer and lurker,

I felt I had something to contribute here for No Limits.  I've attempted to make some contributions to the game system and having gone through the creation of a species/armies list, you can definitely make it your own.  The system is easy to with D10 rolls to meet or exceed your modified stat.  Large number of models can get cumbersom, but that is no different than 4DKay in my opinion.
As to multiple shooting with remaining actions, forum talk is that is limited by the weapon.  Either way, house rule it to make it work for you!  The No Limits forum has some very friendly and helpful people that will answer your questions relatively quickly.
As to 5150, it is customizable.  The problem people have is that it is not really a points based system (similar to SG2).  Use some creativity and pull from the other extensive reaction sheets that best qualify your troops.  It just takes some work, which is no different than creating an army for No Limits.
Right now, I am sucked into Secrets of the Third Reich.  Much fun.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »
Take a look at "Powersword and Flamer" this is a neat little variant to the venerable colonial rules, The Sword and the Flame. It is free and available on the TSATF Yahoo group. Not sure, but it might also be on Pete Jone's Free Wargame Rules site.  It is fun and dead simple.  I think it was originally meant to be used with GW figures, but there is nothing that prevents further tinkering.

Nick

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2009, 05:41:22 AM »
Don't forget about the Doctor Who Miniatures Game.  It's a free download and already has a lot of sci-fi stuff detailed, yet, the game is flexible enough to add/change as you desire.  I've only played with relatively small forces, but I think the game could handle larger battles pretty easily.

http://www.drwhominiatures.co.uk/

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
This might be cheezy, but I’m on a money raising mission, so a lot of my gaming stuff has to go for the greater good.  If anyone is interested in buying all this terrain just PM me.

I live in the USA, so it might be impractical to mail such a large box oversees.  I have a full can of purple paint, and it might be easier (and cheaper) include a can of paint with the terrain, rather than the big Styrofoam boards.

PM me and we can make any necessary arrangements, and you can make any monetary offers :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2009, 05:20:12 AM »
well that sucks dude. I am sorry to see that you have to sale all that great stuff. I am also short on cash or I would jump in and have snag thouse thing up.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
well that sucks dude. I am sorry to see that you have to sale all that great stuff. I am also short on cash or I would jump in and have snag thouse thing up.

Honestly, for me, more than half the fun is in making the stuff (and trying to figure out HOW to make the stuff).  I've never been a "horder", so, I don't get too emotional when I get rid of something (even if it's cool).  All this means is I'll raise some money for my next "project". :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »
Ok, abracadabra! and we get a little bit of threadomancy...

I've been looking into 20mm scifi gaming models, and someone pointed me in the direction of te starguard models, now uyou say at the satrt they are 25mm, then in the catologue they write '1/72 sclae 25mm models'; now I've normally undertsood 1/72 scale as being roughly 20mm, so my question just how big are your Dreenoi, and do you have any of their human models that you could get a size from?
Many thanks,
Duncan

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »
Ok, abracadabra! and we get a little bit of threadomancy...

I've been looking into 20mm scifi gaming models, and someone pointed me in the direction of te starguard models, now uyou say at the satrt they are 25mm, then in the catologue they write '1/72 sclae 25mm models'; now I've normally undertsood 1/72 scale as being roughly 20mm, so my question just how big are your Dreenoi, and do you have any of their human models that you could get a size from?
Many thanks,
Duncan

Duncan. The good lord forbids thee to engage in any new miniatures businesses lol

I should say though that 1:72 is traditionally considered between 20-24mm. Check out www.plasticsoldierreview.com for examples of heights. I've had a wee bit too much holy spirit this evening though so I shan't bother with any examples. lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
Great, I've been totally misinformed for most of my gaming life :( How do they size up against GZG's 25mm?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
Great, I've been totally misinformed for most of my gaming life :( How do they size up against GZG's 25mm?

Well you only use 1:72 for vehicles right?

The plastic soldiers in 1:72 are significantly larger (taller) then most 20mm figs. But have a look at RH Models - they've got all you need.

Besides if you stick to one manufacturer pr. faction it can't go wrong.