Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Movie  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Galman

• Scientist
New Movie
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »
Well I took my son to go see Avatar this evening and it was a blast, good movie!  Before when they show all the preview though I saw one that you all might be interested in... Called 'The Book of Eli', stars Denzel Washington, whom I believe to be one of the best actors out there these days.  Google it up, post apocolyptic with some very unique twists on things. 

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: New Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:48 PM »
Well I took my son to go see Avatar this evening and it was a blast, good movie!  Before when they show all the preview though I saw one that you all might be interested in... Called 'The Book of Eli', stars Denzel Washington, whom I believe to be one of the best actors out there these days.  Google it up, post apocolyptic with some very unique twists on things. 

Trailer's been doing youtube for quite a while now, does look nice though.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »
I have to say Avatar exceeded all my expectations. Being a bit jaded with all this CGI stuff, I went looking to find as many flaws as I could and was delighted to find almost none - well, excluding the sometimes dodgy dialogue  ;)

A superb visual experience and definitely one to watch on the big screen. If all CGI was this good and this believable, I might well become a fan rather than just accepting it as a necessary evil ;D

I saw the trailer for "The Book Of Eli" too and it does look very intriguing. I might just have a look at that one when it's released.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:06:40 AM »
The book of Eli looks goos, I am reminded of the Road Warrior.  As for Avatar, it was very good.  I wonder if James Cameron ever played any role-playing gmaes when he was in college, I was reminded of the "Sky Realms of Jorune", does anyone remember that game?

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:39:24 AM »
I do remember hearing him say somewhere that Avatar was greatly inspired by a lot of the science fiction stories and games of his past, so possibly.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
I thought this movie was absolutely amazing. Apparently, and in my opinion quite obviously, heavily inspired and influenced by the whole John Carter series. I would highly recommend it.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
I seem to be the only one who thought it was a bit meh.

Looked OK but there are some points where the 3D doesn't work (especially where there is too much focal depth).

Crap story line, but I think we all knew that.

Blue aliens on a green planet, I don't think so somehow.

The floating islands are implausable but quite a nice modeling idea, I do like the tech in the base and the shuttle (heads up displays etc.).

15 years in the making... Methinks Mr Cameron is having a laugh.

District 9 was a much better film.

The book of Eli looks good though  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »
And my theatre won't even be playing it, so I get to wait for the DvD just to make my opinion.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »
Went to see Avatar yesterday… A good movie but somehow the story was spoil for me just because I’ve read someone’s comments about the story being the same as a certain Kevin Costner’s movie… ::)

I’ve seen preview of The Book of Eli and it looked ok… But I also saw preview of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and that looked really good. I wasn’t particularly interested in this movie at first but, now, I might just go see it… :D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/