Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Airbrush or not  (Read 5628 times)

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
Airbrush or not
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
So I have built some reasonable size terrain (12x9.5in), and I am at about the point to start painting.

Is it worth getting an airbrush or should I continue to use brushes as I have with smaller pieces of terrain. I have another larger piece that I started for the build something comp that I will also need to finish.

Also what is a good one and where is a good place to get one, I am in the UK so please bear that in mind when suggesting!

Cheers all :D

Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
Re: Airbrush or not
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
I have several airbrushes and find that they are absolutely great for painting just about anything hobby related. Paasche - a brand available world-wide - is probably one of the best you can get for a reasonable price. I own two of them -VL-2 model - (dual action) and they are absolute work-horses. I have done everything from small models to full wall murals with them. Typically here in the US you can get one for under $100 as a kit - comes with bottles, spare tips and needles, air hose, etc. Only downside is you have to get a decent small compressor to go with it. The hobby ones are ok but you really need one with a small storage tank or you will spray in "burst" type patterns ( only sprays on the compression cycle which can make for a choppy paint flow). Any decent hobby or art supply store should have them in stock.
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

former user

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
I use many spray cans on larger models and find it useful

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »
I have several airbrushes and find that they are absolutely great for painting just about anything hobby related. Paasche - a brand available world-wide - is probably one of the best you can get for a reasonable price. I own two of them -VL-2 model - (dual action) and they are absolute work-horses. I have done everything from small models to full wall murals with them. Typically here in the US you can get one for under $100 as a kit - comes with bottles, spare tips and needles, air hose, etc.

Thanks for that, can I run it on standard acrylics or do i need special paints etc?

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Airbrushes will run with 'normal' hobby acrylic paints, but be wary of Tamiya acrylics as these need special thinners.

I also have a Paasche and will endorse the comments of cheeky monkey.  They are real workhorses and can take a lot of abuse.  My other airbrush is a devillbis, one of the very best available and I hardly ever use it (I'm too afraid of damaging it - while the Paasche comes out for all sorts of jobs, big or small!)

I use a cheap hobby compressor with little problems, although given the choice I think I would have one with a reservoir, it stops the putt, putt, putt spray patterns when used on low pressure.

Some art shops (particularly if they cater for students - university or college) will have sample airbrushes available for you to try out and you can sometimes get to try a variety of brands.

Good luck.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »
For terrain, and just starting out, don't underestimate the £5 chinese airbrushes
you can do simple jobs like terrain & 1/2 colour tanks with them without having to worry too much about cleaning etc..
 :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Brush-Airbrush-Spray-Gun-Model-Body-Art-Paint-Tool_W0QQitemZ360219973628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item53dec897fc

this is the type i'm talking about, always available on ebay, so don't pay much for them,.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:00:41 PM by Col.Stone »

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »
yes you can use standard acrylics with an airbrush. It does need to be thinned so it will spray properly but most makers of craft acrylics make a thinner for their paints specifically for airbrushing. However it can be expensive. Most of the time I just thin with a bit of water and denatured alcohol - although the alcohol isn't an absolute necessity - it just helps break down the pigment particles and speeds drying a little bit. Also - many manufacturers make air-brush specific paints - Vallejo comes to mind - if you want to use it for figures and small models. But for larger areas I just use craft type acrylics.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »
For terrain, and just starting out, don't underestimate the £5 chinese airbrushes
you can do simple jobs like terrain & 1/2 colour tanks with them without having to worry too much about cleaning etc..
 :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Brush-Airbrush-Spray-Gun-Model-Body-Art-Paint-Tool_W0QQitemZ360219973628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item53dec897fc

this is the type i'm talking about, always available on ebay, so don't pay much for them,.

Assume I'm an idiot here, but do you need to buy separate can of propellant etc? If so are they easily available in the sort of model shops that sell r/c cars etc?

I've never used an airbrush before, but anything this cheap that can help speed up terrain projects has to be good  :D

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
oh yeah, you need a separate airsupply, canned air is good for trying but getting a compressor quickly is a cheaper option over time, those cans run out fast ::D

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:28:36 AM »
oh yeah, you need a separate airsupply, canned air is good for trying but getting a compressor quickly is a cheaper option over time, those cans run out fast ::D

What do we think to something like this to start with?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR_W0QQitemZ370268372610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item5635b6fe82

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
Looks promising to me, but I could never smuggle it past Mrs Maximus  :(

I know what you mean! way too short on cash at the moment for toys!
 :(

Have to add it to the wish list.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
There must be some way to put a sort of "very useful for DIY" type of spin on it though  ;)  lol

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
There must be some way to put a sort of "very useful for DIY" type of spin on it though  ;)  lol

Well I do need to paint the kitchen...