Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 690
Total: 695

Recent

Author Topic: Opinions of Tiger Miniatures?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Opinions of Tiger Miniatures?
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
Hi, guys...

I'm looking at Tiger Miniatures' Dutch range as a possible source for conversion into Austro-Hungarians in tropical uniform for the upcoming Atlantis Campaign (and for general use as Austro-Hungarian colonial types). However, I am not terribly familiar with the range, and the pictures make the minis look, well, less than impressive in some instances. (No disrespect meant to the Tiger proprietor(s), heaven knows some of my older photos were pretty lousy, too, and everybody has different tastes, anyway.)

Does anyone have any experience of Tiger? Can you tell me about their size, your impressions of the figs, etc?

Thanks,

Doc

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Opinions of Tiger Miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
Awful. Avoid at all costs. I don't like being rude about other people's efforts but their figures just aren't up to it, I'm afraid. I have wasted money on their stuff in the past and don't want other people to do the same.

They are also made out of some odd kind of metal that is almost totally resistant to all my tools, which made clean-up an extended nightmare. The same stuff Wolverine's skeleton is made from, I reckon. I would be prepared to put up with this for top quality sculpts, but with their mishapen lumpy figures it just put the tin hat on it for me.

Their animals are okay. It's just people they don't seem to be able to manage.

It's a real shame because I would love to buy many of their figures, if only someone else had sculpted them. The choice of ranges are right up my street.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:09:52 AM »
Awful. Avoid at all costs. I don't like being rude about other people's efforts but their figures just aren't up to it, I'm afraid. I have wasted money on their stuff in the past and don't want other people to do the same.

They are also made out of some odd kind of metal that is almost totally resistant to all my tools, which made clean-up an extended nightmare. The same stuff Wolverine's skeleton is made from, I reckon. I would be prepared to put up with this for top quality sculpts, but with their mishapen lumpy figures it just put the tin hat on it for me.

It's a real shame because I would love to buy many of their figures, if only someone else had sculpted them. The choice of ranges are right up my street.

Righto. Thanks for that brutally honest dispatch, Plynkes.

I've been out of the colonial game for a while, and I didn't use them when I was building my other forces, so I wasn't entirely sure about the range/quality/etc. Unfortunate, I agree, some very interesting and diverse ranges there.

Many thanks,

Doc

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
I have to agree they seem to me to be almost proto types of what could be great minis but havent gone beyond that first session of sculpting so have bits that need sharpening up etc

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
Poor sculpts not worthy of my money was my opinion when seeing them in the flesh.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

Stay well clear of them. I did not heed to Plynkes vocal warnings and had my just deserts. They've picked excellent and sought after themes for their minis but as said, they should get a sculptor who can sculpt to today's standards.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
Some of the more recent figures have seemed to improved, but the Dutch line is truly awful. I am using Brigade WW1 Germans as KNIL, beautiful minis that work well. I highly recommend them. They should work for your Austrians too.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Very poor, stay well clear!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »
These figures are not very good. They are over sized, I was not able to mix them with any other figures. The sulpts are poor & the casting isn't very good either. The metal is quite brittle and many of the figures have thin parts that break easily.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline redaskari

• Student
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
Well I got some new tiger miniature Germans in Sun helmets and gun teams.
Painted up nice and they were less expensive that some others.
very happy with them.  :)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »
Horses for courses. I must admit to being disappointed when I saw some of the range in the flesh but there are some nice pieces too.

I have seen some really nice painted examples but they do seem to be a little hit and miss. Like Chairface said, the newer figures do seem better than the older ones.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
I bought some of there Greeks , the 1896 evzones were  disappointing in quality with pit marks etc and they needed a fair bit of cleaning up ( there is a pic on my blog, not great painting Im afrraid.. The Cretan Gendamerie and Irregular Greek infantry were a lot better. They are a bit cartoony in look and are top end size wise of 28mm. A long way short of the quality that we get from Cobblestone Perrys Hicks etc. However I am going to get a little bit more from them but I will only order a pack or two at a time just incase, I want some hereros and I might get a pack of germans.
The service btw is excellent, I ordered on a Friday afternoon and recieved it next day.     

Offline redaskari

• Student
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
very nice mors.   8)

I could be inspired.
What do the Cretans look like? :)

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
What do the Cretans look like?

They were the best of the 3 packs I got,  at the moment they are just undercoated, I made a mistake thinking there uniform was black but its actually dark blue so I had to go over them. If i can get a pic which shows them accurately i will post it over the weekend

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
Please do. I would be interested in seeing them painted up.