Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:28:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bungling our way to Sevastopol  (Read 8210 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Bungling our way to Sevastopol
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
Don't bother me with details, man!

Anyway, you know me - I never tell the truth. Where's the fun in that?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
Very nice battle report. Nice to see some 19th century stuff going on.
Thanks for sharing

Steve

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
Good question. The words "19th Century Miniatures" and "Rank and File" are buzzing around my head somewhere. Not sure if these are/were the same company or what. It was ages and ages ago that I painted these. Some time in the 90s, hard to remember details. The above applies to the majority, but there are also a few Dixon Indian Mutiny figures, and some Irregular Miniatures individual figures in there somewhere too.

Many thanks - I'll start searching, but if any more details buzz out in due course....
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »
An excellent game report and spiffy pictures sir! Yes. Dashed good show! Makes one want to start a whole new period and scale. Uh.

Must... resist!  ;D
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Fastolfrus, I managed to find the box with the ones that are still unpainted in it (including some Franco-Prussian stuff I bought but never got around to, there were all kinds of European nations in the range). Luckily the bits of card off the tops of the bags they came in were still present in many cases. This is what it says on 'em:

Rank & File Figures (Historical & Fantasy Miniatures)
Designed by Chris Atkin
Manufactured in the UK under license by
AWESOME ENTERPRISES

The TMP Manufacturers Directory says "19th Century Miniatures manufactures and sells the Rank & File historicals" (so that's why I had both names in my head). Click on the link for 19th Century Miniatures and we find out this outfit is "Also known as Battle Honours U.S.A. and Old Glory 15s." This is getting bloody confusing with all these names, ain't it?

On the Old Glory 15s website you can find them here:

http://oldglory15s.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=483_485&sort=3a

Unfortunately they seem to only sell them in bags of fifty of the same type. So you're gonna have to have fifty bleeders in greatcoats and kilmarnocks and fifty in Albert shako and coatee. You can't buy handy little unit-sized amounts. To get an army with some variation you need to buy kazillions more than you'll ever need. What a pain in the arse.

Don't know if there is still someone in the UK selling them. Googling "Awesome Enterprises" got me nowhere. The TMP entry for that company hasn't been updated since 2000 and is just a link that leads you straight to an outfit called Thunderbolt Mountain, which seems to be all fantasy stuff, and is in America anyway. Dunno what that is all about. This is turning into the Da Vinci Code or something.  ;D

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
Thank you - I've just had a quick look on the OG site and not only are the figures in bags of 50 but I can't see any mention of command.... I've sent them an email to ask.
I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
Make terrain? Me? That's a laugh. The very idea. Considering myself to be something of a toff these days, I had my Punjabi manservant procure a river for me. It's imported. All the way from Germany.

http://www.gelaendestuecke.de/

It's supposed to be for 28mm (my usual thing), but apart from the gigantic grass I don't think you really notice.

Thanks Plynkes

They do some nice stuff on there

dodge

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
Very good. Excellent write up, and I had a good laugh at those screenshots. May I salute you, sir? :D

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
Very inspiring report.  I'm rather ashamed to admit that horse & musket gaming in 15mm always gets me hot under the collar  (:?).  I've been eyeing up the Lasalle rule-set for a few weeks now, especially now that Eureka do specific unit packs of those spiffy AB minis.  Looks like Borodino in 15mm could be on the cards, though justifying it to the little lady could be rather tricky (15mm would be easier to hide, I suppose)...