Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Aeronefs to Mars  (Read 3408 times)

warbeads

Aeronefs to Mars
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »
Okay, how would you get Aeronefs to Mars?

I have some Brazilian and Argentine Aeronefs and the idea struck me - what PSB would be needed to get them into play on Mars?  Atlantis I can see but Mars...

Ideas?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Re: Aeronefs to Mars
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
Flying as high as they can and then lifted the rest of the way by great cranes lowered from ether-flying tugs. These tugs then transit the atmospheric nefs throug hthe ther to Mars and then lower them into the atmosphere of that planet.

This is a system similar to the Guild ships in Dune, though I imagine that in the 19th century, each nation would provide its own transit unless you also PSB something akin to a neutral "Transit Guild" or something.

-Eli

-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
This is a system similar to the Guild ships in Dune, though I imagine that in the 19th century, each nation would provide its own transit unless you also PSB something akin to a neutral "Transit Guild" or something.

A Swiss-Dutch aether trade consortium, perhaps? I like that thought. Very nice idea. :) Although for military reasons, I think each nation would want its own aether fleet.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
Yes, in peace time, governments might make use of the civillian contracted consortium, but have their own means in position and held in reserve for when hostilities broke out. Though it also might be a nasty prospect to attack these transit ships. I doubt they would be unarmed, unless in your universe the Aether isn't suitable for ship to ship combat.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
PSB?

To answer the bits I understand, I'd say, put them into gigantic Aetherships.

My understanding of Impossible Physics is that 'nefs stay aloft by 1 - liftwood; 2 - cavourite; 3 - Martian beam technology; 4 - the gravetic screw. Any of these could be 'built big'. There may be problems getting enough liftwood or cavourite of course, and Brazil may not have Martian (or pirated Martian) technology. Alternatively, it may not have pirated American technology (the gravetic screw). But in principle any of these could be applied to a space-going vessel, which could then work as a 'carrier' for the little 'skiff'-type 'nefs.

Then there's the old Victorian favourite of the 'supergun' approach. Possibly not best for passengers (there are long discussions all over the internet about why it's impossible), but other things could be shot to Mars if they could resist the acceleration.

I like Arthur Clarke's idea of the Orbital Tower. I can see that as grand VSF project, perhaps as a joint South American venture, in the Equadorian Andes, maybe near San Francisco de Sigsipamba which I think is pretty near the equator. Then both the Argentinians and Brazilians might use it, get their aetherships up there, then using aetheric sails ride the Luminiferous Aether to Mars.

Only suggestions. Feel free to use or discard any you like. I've stolen them all anyway!

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »
Drop Boosters that parachute back down for recovery. Lighter gravity of mars allows they to descend normaly.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
You would build them on Mars.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
Building on Mars may not be all that possible, especially early on. You have to have refineries, labor, manufacturing, fabrication all in place to do so.

If you have a wholey hostile MArtian populace this means no help from the locals. Even if you have friendly or passive locals, you still have to get them up to speed on Earth tech and build the facilities to do so.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
Well that depends on the history of the game world, which we haven't really established.

In Space 1889, the technology to construct such things was itself discovered on Mars, so it wasn't even possible to make them until man arrived there (the original ether flyers used zeppelin technology to maneauver in an atmosphere).

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
Well that depends on the history of the game world, which we haven't really established.

In Space 1889, the technology to construct such things was itself discovered on Mars, so it wasn't even possible to make them until man arrived there (the original ether flyers used zeppelin technology to maneauver in an atmosphere).

Brigade Games history uses something Called R-Matter as well..

So really its all down to what people use for History and such.

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »
They get taken through the Star Gate in crates, and are assembled on the other side. Its like how they got the battleship into Lake Tanganyika.

That's how mine's getting there, anyway.