Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691093
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Resident Evil Characters - S.T.A.R.S. etc (Valentines day UPDATE)  (Read 6355 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
I picked up these "Lead Bones" figures from Recreational Conflict when I spotted that they had a not-Resident Evil range. I had been looking for figures to represent the characters from those games for years and so I jumped at the chance to get some for zombie skirmishes and the Last Night on Earth boardgame etc.

I started painting them in August and went through a painting dry spell for a few months. I managed to get most of them finished over the last week or so making then the first figures that I have finished in 2010.

As usual they are not of display quality but they are quite suitable for gaming with.  The method used was a fairly standard base coat, wash, one or sometimes two layers of roughly blended highlight, detailing. The photos are of tolerable quality but to be honest I dont think that it really flatters my painting when the shots are this big.  Cest la vie.

Anyway, I am interested to hear what you zombie/Resident Evil enthusiasts might have to say about these guys.  Comments and criticisms gladly recieved.

This is Leon S. Kennedy as he was looked in RE4.  His hair is a bit Morten Horket, an exaggerated version of how it looks in the game but it helps to make him recognisable.

This is the only figure that isnt Lead Bones, its Hasslefree.  As such  it wasnt designed to be a perfect match for the Ada Wong character, but it was close enough for me.  Its a lovely figure too.
I spotted that I made her right eye is a bit crossed once I looked at the photo.  I will go back and sort it out at some point, probably after I get a new prescription from the optician :)

Chris Redfield in his original Resident Evil uniform.  I didnt have the patience to paint "S.T.A.R.S." on the back of his uniform so I just approximated it.  At table distance it will be good enough for me.

Carlos Oliveira as he appears in RE3: Nemesis.  It is pretty similar to the uniform that Oded Fehr wears in the RE: Extinction movie when he plays the same character (in name at least).

Rebecca Chambers as she appeared in RE and RE0.  The red cross on her back ooks a little neater in-the-flesh, honest :)

Lastly its Wesker as he appears in Resident Evil, as a S.T.A.R.S. member with a hidden agenda.  The photo came out with an odd shine on the left lens of his shades.  In actuality they are both more or less identical.

I still have not-Barry Burton and (importantly), not-Jill Valentine figures to finish, hopefully over the next few days.

Thanks for looking :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:11:34 PM by cheetor »

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
Re: Resident Evil Characters - S.T.A.R.S. etc
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »
Gotta love those first two figures, neat paint job BTW, not so sure about the stance of the last three...

Useful additions to the genre though.
As the vulture flutters down,
The snake sheds it\'s dove,
Willem\'s cutting off his fingers,
So they\'ll fit into the glove.... http://captaingeneral.co.uk

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »
Gotta love those first two figures, neat paint job BTW, not so sure about the stance of the last three...

Agreed.  The poses are a little odd in places, with Leon (the first figure) coming off best in that regard I think.  The Jill Valentine pose (yet to come) is also better than most of the others.

Thanks for the comments :)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
Love the paint job but I don't like the bases. May I recommend useing something like pumce paste.  Your paint job makes me think about adding these figures to my mountian of lead.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »
Black Bat Bases now do a seated sniper, with a cowboy hat, that would be ideal for the S.T.A.R.S guy on the roof, when Nemesis turned up.

;)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »
Love the paint job but I don't like the bases. May I recommend useing something like pumce paste.  Your paint job makes me think about adding these figures to my mountian of lead.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar about my basing stuff while drivving to work this morning. 

Up until about two years ago I used to use a mix of PVA glue, paint, Polyfilla/spackle, water and fine sand.  I used to then drybrush that and flock patches of it afterwards.  I used it for over ten years and it looked good but it took ages and had too many steps in the process.  Using the brown sand/gravel was another attempt to speed up my miniature painting turnover.

You are right, that newer batch of brown flock/gravel that I used on these is just too coarse.

Thanks for your comments :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
Black Bat Bases now do a seated sniper, with a cowboy hat, that would be ideal for the S.T.A.R.S guy on the roof, when Nemesis turned up.

Thats a good idea, thanks  :)

I made my first Black Cat Bases order last week (a couple of their ghouls to function as L4D Hunters).  I saw that figure but never thought of the guy from RE:Apocalypse.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
No probs mate - thats the best thing about these forums - sharing ideas!

:)

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Those look great, was a bit unsure about those Lead Bones figures, but seeing them painted has me tempted to purchase them.

Pity theres no Ada "bitch in the red dress" outfit :P

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
There are a handful of new sculpts in the style of the sniper on my table at the moment, ::) if my moulds would turn up.  :'(.
I hate how this country grinds to a halt as soon as it snows, hey ho it has given me some sculpting time.
Ben

Offline Black Cat Bases

• Catwoman
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackcatbases.com
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
whoops just found out the sniper isn't on the web shop yet, sorry it should be released over the next few weeks or so with the rest of the team,
sorry  ;D
Ben

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
Those look great, was a bit unsure about those Lead Bones figures, but seeing them painted has me tempted to purchase them.

Thanks!  The figures have some charm, not-Leon in particular.  They are pretty recognisable too which is a big deal for me.  I tried to do S.T.A.R.S. with some Foundry figs some time ago but I was unhappy with them: they just didnt look recognisable enough. 

Although the poses on a few of the figures above are a little bit odd, I was willing to go with it simply for the recognition factor.  For example, the not-Wesker is a bit "wooden" (if you know what I mean...) but he is instantly recognisable as Wesker to anyone who is familiar with the franchise I think.

Pity theres no Ada "bitch in the red dress" outfit :P

Absolutely, everyone loves Ada ;) 
Although I am happy with how "my" Ada came out, the RE4 Ada with the longer dress (presumably inspired by the red dress that Alice wears in the first movie) is more immediately reconisable as the character. 

There isnt a suitable Claire Redfield either, which is a big gap in the range IMO.  To be honest I would buy a Billy Coen and a Steve Burnside if they were available too, and even an RE2 version of Leon and a RE3 version of Jill etc.  No doubt once I own a platform that will allow me to play RE5 I will want Sheva Alomar too.  Basically, put me down for any RE figures I suppose.

Incidentally, I just noticed that the Lead Bones figures are 20% off at the Recreational Conflict site during January.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:25:24 PM »
Cool idea! I wanna play!!! Some great paint jobs there as well as figures. Inspired project!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
very cool

like them a lot

dodge

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »

Thanks for the compliments.  Jill Valentine should get finished tonight and I will probably get onto doing Barry Burton then.

This is of course all assuming that I dont get sidetracked by the Black Cat order and Frothers Sculpting figs that both arrived this morning :)