Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690997
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pompom?  (Read 3771 times)

former user

Re: Pompom?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
sounds reasonable

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
There are two mounted Guards regiments' the Life Guards in red and the Blues and Royal Horse Guards in, well, blue.  Like the Foot Guards, they  wear a similar uniform to that worn from the mid-19th Century, take at the British in the Crimea.  Many British regiments still have a similar red full dress uniform or similar from that era.

The Yeoman of the Guard wear a similar style to that worn in Tudor times.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
What I find deeply weird and disorientating about this thread, is that I know Woodlands Junior School in Tonbridge, Kent. It's not all that far from where I live, and I've done a few gigs there for parent/teacher association events.

Let me just say that the supreme peculiarity of someone in Ontario communicating with someone in Sweden, pointing them to detailed information about uniforms of the British Foot Guards on the website of the very ordinary little junior school in my neighbourhood, just makes me marvel at the strangeness of our modern world.

Such are the surrealities of the internet...

(Quite why the very ordinary little junior school's website has all this info about the Brigade of Guards on its website is something I shall not even think about... Some kind of school project presumably).

Weird.
 ::)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
btw, does the Guard Infantry also have some kind of mounted squadron?

There were ad-hoc mounted infantry units raised for the Zulu War and camel corps in the Sudan, including one raised from the Foot Guards but they were never a permanent unit in the British Army. I believe there were mounted Grenadier units in the 18thC, but whether the Guards had one is beyond me. They didn't last long, being converted to normal cavalry units, if I recall correctly  :(

Today the Household Cavalry perform all the Guards' mounted duties.