Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WTB 28mm Saladin and Saracen vehicles and troops  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
WTB 28mm Saladin and Saracen vehicles and troops
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
Hello all,

I was hoping someone here on the board might know if it is possible to get 28mm compatible Saladin and Saracen vehicles. I have found 1/76 and 1/76 scale kits by googling but I just cannot find 1/48 or 1/56 kits.

Does anyone have a lead?

On a side note, anyone know if any manufactures do 1960/1970 era British army troops in flak jackets and berets / helmets with minimal webbing. Gripping Beast are the best I have found so far but they don’t have the flak jacket and have on a lot of webbing.

Cheers

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Re: WTB 28mm Saladin and Saracen vehicles and troops
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
Old Dinky toys versions are pretty good, and reasonably compatible with 28mm. I saw a couple on e bay, repainted with some MoFo Gripping Beast troops and they looked excellent. Boot sales and Toy Mart auctions have them from time to time. Well worth looking out for anyway. They did a Saladin, Saracen and a Ferret, and some nice Bedford Trucks too. Just a  thought. I don't know anybody who does them as wargaming pieces in 28mm at the moment.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
I feel very old now... I had the Saladin as a kid. It did have one of those spring loaded guns to fire matchsticks out of though iirc. So a little work would be necessary to fill the slot. They fetch about £50 at auction though.  :?

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
Jim, don't worry I feel just as old, 'cos I had 'em as toys myself. But you are thinking of the Crescent version with the spring loaded gun. The earlier Dinky versions did not have that. I recently sold some Dinky military, sadly not the vehicles sought after, 'cos I would have hung onto those, on e bay, and before doing so checked them against 28mm and scale wise they are a good match.  Matchbox/Lesney also did a Saracen, Saladin etc, but they are way too small.

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »
Thanks for the lead Trooper, I will keep and eye on ebay for them as suggested but it seems like they are going for a pretty penny if in decent condition, which is only to be expected I suppose.

Cheers for the help  :)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:34:24 PM »
No problem, tell you what, I'll keep my eyes open in my neck of the woods. Condition as regards paint does not matter too much, as long they are in one piece. Hopefully we can turn some up for you.

former user

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »
tamiya 1/48 possibly?

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:20 AM »
No problem, tell you what, I'll keep my eyes open in my neck of the woods. Condition as regards paint does not matter too much, as long they are in one piece. Hopefully we can turn some up for you.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it and the help you have given me  :)

EDIT: no luck with tamiya either I am afraid, the only kits i have found so far are the 1/76 airfix kits that are just too small unfortunatly.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:30:17 AM by Trysop »

Offline Lenin

• Assistant
    • Lenin's Library
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I'm using the Dinky die-casts, along with mostly Gripping Beast Mo-Fo figures, for my Hot War project and you can see some comparison shots between a figure and a couple of the vehicles, fresh from eBay and awaiting repainting, here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.edlin/Dinky#

I believe they were officially 1/60th scale, so that's a little on the small size for 28mm, but reckon you can still get away with using them.

The vehicles I have bought have generally been in pretty poor condition so they are, slowly, getting repainted and I will be adding stowage, etc. to disguise their origins. Note that you can buy bits and pieces like replacement tyres for them, so you don't have to compete against collectors for the ones that are in perfect condition! Those that are beyond economic repair are also useful for battlefield wrecks.

I have found scans of the original Dinky catalogue here, though the Armoured Command Vehicle that is in my photos is missing as I think it did not sell well and was withdrawn:
http://www.mikes-tanks.com/images/DinkyCat1961pg14_15.jpg
http://www.mikes-tanks.com/images/DinkyCat1961pg20_21.jpg

Pete

Offline AndyRix

• Assistant
    • Cold War Gamer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
S&S models do a 15 club, find enough people to generate sales of 15 models and they will make it. Shaun is currently looking for stuff to do in 28mm he has posted requests for ideas on the Guild and Ambush Alley forums

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
I must admitt, I was after some cold war British APCs/AFVs so I've been following this thread with interest. Trysop, let me know if you are thinking about going down the 15 Club route, as I may well be interested in some of the pieces & it'll help get the required number up...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Hello,

Lenin, thank you for posting those links, I look forward to looking at them when I get home and they are not blocked to me......

Andy, thanks for the lead about S and S, I had never come across them before so was interested to see their products. I have dropped them a line to ask about if the 15 club cover 28mm as on a quick first read it seems to be aimed at their 20mm lines. I will see what they say.

Cheers for the help

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
Hello,

Just got word back from Shaun from S and S, he sent me their pull product and price lists and they do some very nice stuff, seems to be more 20mm than 28mm in the catalogue but it all looks great!

He said they were thinking about doing a "15 club" for 28mm stuff, but it would have to be a "20 club" to justify the costs involved. I sent in my suggestions for what I would like to see, namely an Alvis Saladin (FV601), an Alvis Saracen (FV603), a BTR-40 or BTR-40P, a BTR-152 (also known as BTR-140) and a GAZ 46. If anyone also fancies any of there then please do drop the guys at S and S a line (salesforsandsmodels@hotmail.co.uk) letting them know, you interest might help get some new toys into production  :)

BTW can someone who know more about die cast models explain about the manufactures to me? I have seen a Saladin by Corgi and by Crescent, and I am not sure if they are the same size or not. I saw a few matchbox vehicles but they will be too small for 28mm I think.

Cheers for now

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
I can tell you that the Crescent one will be too big, its nearer 1/35 scale almost. The old Dinky military are the best so far for scale.

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
So are Corgie and Dinky the same in terms of scale? I have seen a few Corgie Saladins but none which have been listed as being by Dinky.

This is my normal problem with die cast stuff. I don’t know enough to know what manufacturers stuff should work with what scale models and given the scale creep you see between ranges stuff that should work doesn't always fit and look right beside a mini. It is a shame as there is some great die cast stuff out there for those better informed!

Cheers