Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Swedish VSF Army  (Read 8867 times)

former user

Re: Swedish VSF Army
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:37 PM »
now You are mixing both
Hope's is purely german, something like Luxemburg or Liechtenstein (OK,OK, these are not actually german)
Gellner's is an eastern European country with nationalist aspirations trying to break free from an empire

anyway, now I know what You want - basically anything with fur hats will do
these are widespread from northern carpathia to albania, from hungaria to siberia
it is also archetypical eastern european (no, I don't have a fur hat fetish  :))
You are pretty free to use generic cossacks, hussars or any kind of uniform that has traditionally fur hats (no, not bearskins  ;))

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:04:47 AM »
.... watch this space later in the year for some VSF Turks  ;)

and my VSF Greeks
argsilverson

former user

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
and my VSF Greeks
these I would really like to see  ;)
the only thing that I can imagine is the cretan partisan outfit because VSF Evzones  lol lol lol

OK, Highlanders wear skirts too

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:18:11 AM »
No I really mean Anthony Hope's Ruritania, Prisoner of Zenda, James Mason as Rupert of Hentzau being sinister, and all that. I don't know about Ernest Gellner... except having looked it up on the web, it appears my 8 or 10 times watching the movie (and once watching the 1980s TV re-working) have obliterated some of the 'facts' of Ruritania that I must have gleaned from my one reading... Hope's Ruritania is between Dresden and Prague, and not 'approximately Serbia' as I had imagined.

I was thinking 'circa 1890' as I tend to for VSF. Maybe 1891, it can be next year's project. Maybe even my next VSF campaign setting... disintergrating Balkan State, the Austrians, Russians, Germans, Turks all trying to take over, the British French and Italians throwing their weight around too... difficult to see how the Japanese Navy and Chinese warlords get involved, but I'll have a think.

My Ruritania is purely german inspired! I used  some FPW Prussians. infantry for the royalists in blues and jaegers in rifle green for those of the duke -king's brother. next army -small- will austrians in white and red for the princess Lavia's regiment.
I have toyed with the idea that Ruritania shares its border with some nations, that have similar uniforms with Serbia/Montenegro, Greece, Turkey, Italy and probably Romania. All -or most of them- having in reality more or less colourful uniforms, although colour dominated is various shades of blue, but you can find red and green infantry, brown mountaineers, black and sky blue hussars plus guards in tradional uniforms in various other colours. Each fictional country allied and enemy of any of the other so a whole (tiny I must say) world to play

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »
these I would really like to see  ;)
the only thing that I can imagine is the cretan partisan outfit because VSF Evzones  lol lol lol

OK, Highlanders wear skirts too
Oh yes:
Infantry in  blue jacket, sky blue pants (red piping and plumes)
cavalry in green hussar styled uniform
evzones in white with black ornaments
sailors eh, Ok, sailors are almost similar to british navy
gendarmes in olive green, cretan gendarmerie in dark blue with crimson piping
plus some foreign advisors -french advisors, italian carabinieri, danish advisors and guards and any other fictitious uniform you may add for variety

former user

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:43 AM »
what style is the uniform cut?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »

It looks like the tricorne is only one of the options. What a lovely shade of blue.

The (Royal Horse Guards) still wears the uniform with kepi, but in a lighter blue.

The tricorn was a famously ill-judged national romantic relapse by General Quarter Masters harking back to the days of TYW and 7YW when Svenska Maneret was the scourge of the north and central Europe.  ::) It was of little use but to collect rainwater.

former user

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 08:07:37 AM »
thought it had something to do with the days of swedish supremacy....

about the utility - like a chapka or a shlem would have been of much use....
or a bearskin for that matter

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
No I really mean Anthony Hope's Ruritania, Prisoner of Zenda, James Mason as Rupert of Hentzau being sinister, and all that. I don't know about Ernest Gellner... except having looked it up on the web, it appears my 8 or 10 times watching the movie (and once watching the 1980s TV re-working) have obliterated some of the 'facts' of Ruritania that I must have gleaned from my one reading... Hope's Ruritania is between Dresden and Prague, and not 'approximately Serbia' as I had imagined.

I was thinking 'circa 1890' as I tend to for VSF. Maybe 1891, it can be next year's project. Maybe even my next VSF campaign setting... disintergrating Balkan State, the Austrians, Russians, Germans, Turks all trying to take over, the British French and Italians throwing their weight around too... difficult to see how the Japanese Navy and Chinese warlords get involved, but I'll have a think.

Me too!

Funny how great minds think alike  ;)

.... and fools rarely differ  :(

lol lol

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »

.... and fools rarely differ  :(

lol lol

That too. Though I know it as 'fools seldom differ'. So if they do, it's not by any significant degree.  lol

Anyway; swedes, they're lovely, n'est-ce pas?