Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690979
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some help with skintones  (Read 1843 times)

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
Some help with skintones
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
Hi, I'm working with Vallejo and GW colours... for european skintones I use the common Dark Flesh base, medium with Dwarf Flesh and highlights in Elf Flesh... I think they are too pale for colonial adventurers... any idea? How works a Sunny Skintone for the highlights?

For congo africans I'm using a Scorched Brown wash, medium tones with Bestial Brown and light with Bestial Brown and Terracota... I think it works fine...

And FINALLY THE GREAT QUESTION, I'll try to paint some arabs, I think trying with a Bestial Brown base and mixtures of Darkflesh and Dwarf Flesh for mediums and highlights, any suggestion?

Thanks for help... I'm a begginer and I can't find good tips about that in internet...

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Re: Some help with skintones
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
For Europeans, I use a wash of flesh ink or (now that flesh ink is unavailable) I use the GW Ogryn Flesh wash.

It took some getting used to but it really darkens the skin.

I suggest leaving dark flesh visible in the recesses and allowing a hard transition between dark flesh and dwarf flesh, then using the wash.  It will blend then nicely.

Then, touch up and highlight with dwarf flesh.  You may wish to skip the elf flesh if you want your guys to be suntanned.

As for the others, I have no idea and I look forward to others' answers.

former user

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
I must say that i very rarely use similar paint combinations for skin tones on purpose

I try to keep it as variable as I can, becaus skin alway looks very different, and I don't like the concept of uniform skin tones

with arabs simply keep in mind that they imported slaves from Africa for 1300 years at least and got pretty mixed up with estimated 18 million black africans (not to talk about slaves from northern europe)- muslim jurisdiction makes a child from a free muslim just as free, regardless of the legal state of the mother
consequently there is no "arab" skin tone - a bedouin "sun tan" one maybe but here also with great variety

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:16:18 PM »
I'm keen to try out some of the new foundry skin colour triads. I've been using the Rosy skin triad from Reaper for my Europeans for a while and I love the triad system. 

Offline mortimer

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »
I'm thinking in order some of the new foundry skin colours set... Perhaps the easiest solution  :D :D :D

The north african flesh for baluchis and zanzibaris... and the dark african flesh... for tribal warriors!!! and combined in the Force Publique army with other african tones... wow! I'll look great!!! :-* The other african flesh is similar to my congo african paint "triad" system

and I will try the Ogryn Flesh too!!! Great idea...

thanks for help