Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain builder question: street furniture?  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Terrain builder question: street furniture?
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »
Hi folks,

I need some advice/ideas. I'm planning to build some urban terrain, suitable for several eras.  I want to use this terrain for, amongst others, Steampowered fantasy (Iron Kingdoms), Victoriana, current day and near future/post-apocalyptic, all skirmish level games.

The problem occurs in street fixtures and furniture.... I'd like to add things like streetlights, roadsigns, streetnames and traffic lights (if appropriate to the era).
Because knowing the people I play with, they will be crashing their oxcarts/sportscars into them, or rip them out to use as weapons...  :D
Due to the whole "mult-era" thing, I can't fix them permanently to the terrain, I need to be able to swap them out.
I'm just a bit at a loss on how to place them on the table. Seeing that most of these things are rather tall and narrow, they are prone to toppling over without overly large bases...
How would you solve this? Embed magnets/metal in the sidewalks? Holes/slots in the sidewalk, clip them to it?
If you have any suggestions, or maybe examples to show, please let me know!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Terrain builder question: street furniture?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
My local game shop embedded sheet steel plates in their game boards and then magnetized their trees. It is very effective and once they had textured and painted the boards you had no idea the steel was under there. It should work just as well for street lights and the like.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »
Most of these are usually anchored to sidewalks anyway, so how about using Aaron's idea and making sidewalks out of steel plate like the tie  pllates from the hardware store?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
I think I just hit on a crazy idea that just might work...  ;D
Because I already have my MDF bases cut, I was looking around for steel paper, to glue on top of the MDF.
One of the sites also listed "magnetic paint" (aka paint laced with enough ferrous powder to cause attraction with magnets).
Maybe I could paint my sidewalks with this stuff?
One of the local DIY's is listed as a stockist.
I think I'm going to have a look this weekend to see how expensive it is, and if they have it in stock....
If it isn't to dear, I'll run some field tests.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
If I was starting my boards over again I've magnetise trees and traffic lights etc... using those little rare earth magnets, best bet as the pieces will 'snap' into place nicely.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »
Yup, that's what I'm aiming for as well: a sturdy way to attach those items, but making them easy to replace at the same time. Preferably without the visual "disturbance" of putting them on bases.
If the paint turns out a bust, I'll probably be falling back to magnetic sheeting or embedded rare earth magnets.
I'll show my results with the paint (unless they fail miserably.... Then I'll just initiate a cover-up.... ;))

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
I don't know from personal experience, but I have been told the magnetic paint is not strong enough to hold things securely. Still probably worth a try if it isn't too expensive.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
I don't know from personal experience, but I have been told the magnetic paint is not strong enough to hold things securely. Still probably worth a try if it isn't too expensive.

It won't work or do the finished table justice, do it right first time and put the effort in, rare earth magnets and metal, the only way to fly!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
Just got some more info about the average prices of that paint.... Forget about it.. :? The stuff would have to be pretty darn amazing to get anything near a reasonable price/effect ratio.

So, anyone know where to get a fair amournt of steel paper or similar metal sheeting for a reasonable price? (preferably within the EU, to keep the shipping cost in check...)

Offline Oliver

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
If I recall correctly I think(dangerous I know) S&A scenics have it at £1.50 or £1.75 a sheet but cannot remember...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:22 PM »
what are your sidewalks and terrain surface made out of? 

What about your furniture?  metal?  lead, plastic, wood?  What kind of base?

Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
The sidewalks are part of the baseboards of the buildings, so: MDF. Currently I have no plans for other terrain that needs swappable items tacked on...

Furniture will be stuff like traffic lights, street signs, maybe fire hydrants. Some bought, some homemade, so most likely a mixture of all that you mentioned and resin...

Bases are what I'm trying to (ideally) avoid or minimise. The bases for the mini's I use are a mixture of plastic slotta's and wood.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
I don't know about the UK but around here the ceapest source for magnetic sheet is sign making suppliers. The best source for metal sheet is suppliers for heating & air conditioning contracters.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Yep.  Try tyo avoid buying a lot a magnetic sheet, in small sized units, from craft retailers, or it will get very expensive.

Know any real estate brokers?  They have access to  magnetic sign suppliers"  (they get those large car door advertising magnetic signs cheap)

If possible, try making roads (or a small manhole or drain or such, and sidewalks and such from magnets,  It can be scribed, cut, shaped, and painted easily.  (I make entire walls, mealie bags and biscuit box barricades out of carved magnets, so my Zulus and such can stand atop a barricade between turns as the rules indicate.  Stairs too.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
Hmm, I don't know any people in the industries you mentioned...  :(  I'll have to get the stuff at "normal people price".

Carving magnets?  :o