Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some bushes for table scatter  (Read 2141 times)

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
Some bushes for table scatter
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:26:12 AM »
With enough WW2 minis finally painted to play a game I decided it was time for some terrain.  I haven't made much terrain in a while (and haven't completed anything in much longer :P ) so I thought I would start with something quick and easy, bushes.  Only took about an hour and a half and now I have 30 completed bushes!  I'm pretty happy with how they came out, next up is some trees.

The bushes:

And a couple shots with a tree and a 28mm US Airborne mini from Artizan for scale:

Thanks,
dlmos

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Some bushes for table scatter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:09:19 AM »
Nice work.  Completing and getting good result is a good step. Start with bushes, then trees.   I traditionally start with the big stuff, and work down, but you lose a lot of drive by the time you get to neccesary but "unglamerous"work. 

(not saying your bushes are unglamerous at all.  If I was 28mm tall, I'd be happy to take a bottle of Cold Duck and girl on a date  to your shrubbery patch!) 
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
I really like your bushes...

That didn't sound quite right.

Care to share your method with us?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
I like 'em.  I really like the small size of them, but still tall enough to provide some concealment.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
I like the single bushes, too. Made me think though that maybe making them flatter at two "ends" so they could line up to make a hedge.

Not a round bush then though...

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:12 PM »
really really, nice but you have to share your secret.

I am currently pondering trees and shrubs so would love to know.
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys!  The bushes are actually really easy and cheap to make,  especially since most modelers have this stuff laying around anyways.  The poly-fiber batting I use I initially past off because it was so soft and flexible, but after making a tree with it I'm sold.  It very easy to work with, cheap, durable once finished and looks very realistic.  I wasn't worry about making hedges yet because going to make those after the trees, they will be more elaborate using rock walls and trees as well (similar to Elladan's).

Not so short tutorial on the bushes:

Materials:
1 inch round washers (hole size doesn't really matter, just the OD)
Aileens tacky glue
Cheap brown spray paint
Cheap spray adhesive (must dry clear, although most do)
Cheap matte varnish
Poly-Fiber Batting (the cheap kind used for stuffing pillows)
You choice of flock (or leaf scatter if you get fancy)

1.)  Apply Aileens tacky glue to one side of a washer a squish a big blob of batting on it, use more than you think you'll ever need to make sure enough fibers get stuck to the glue.  Let dry.

2.) Pull the excess fiber from the bases leaving only a small amount and press it into a ball.  A little bit of this stuff will go a long way, so don't worry about pulling to much off.

3.) Place the bushes on a paint board and spray them with the brown spray paint.  This "freezes" the fibers and provides them with a lot of strength, it also simulates the branches of the bush.  Make sure and cover everything, I use two coats.  Let dry.

4.) If you notice any of the bushes need trimming do it now, but only worry about really long strands of fiber that stick way out.  To much trimming will ruin the natural look.

5.) Pour your flock into an open top container and get your spray glue.  Now comes the tricky part, hold the base of a bush with your finger tips and spray it with adhesive, then place it in the flock and roll it around.  You don't want to bury it, just roll it around to coat the outside edges.  Now using your other hand, the one NOT covered in spray glue, pick it up and place it somewhere safe to dry.  You want to use the same hand each time because the one covered in glue will get harder and harder to let go of the finished bush.  You shouldn't need to worry about shaking of excess flocking unless you really overdo it.  Once they are all done let them dry.

6.) Lastly give all the bushes a couple coats of matte varnish, this will secure the flock and give them even more durablility.  Let them dry and your finished!

NOTE:
If you used small bits of fabric for the base instead of the washer you would have a flexible base that you could glue to other terrain pieces.  A washer would work too but the fabric might conform to the terrain better.

Hope that makes since, I can get some pics if it would help.
dlmos

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
You can't beat a good bush...

....and you've done a whole load of lovely examples. I think I have a bag of that pillow-stuffing somewhere. If I can find it I'll have a go at these myself  :D