Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:27:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rosemary's series 33 Pure Kolinsky Sable Brushes  (Read 19456 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Rosemary's series 33 Pure Kolinsky Sable Brushes
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 08:48:01 AM »
Bugsda old fruit, you won't be disappointed.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
If you're not a full-time (or display only) painter, then Rosemary's are great value, unbelievable value really. I wish they had them when I started.

That certainly applies to me. W&N would be a luxury for me, but Rosemary's are more affordable and justifiable  ;)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
Just ordered a set direct from Rosemary's site.  :)

I notice Matakishi mentioned brush soap and I've never really considered that before, I just use hot water (might explain the high turnover of brushes). The stuff on Antenociti's site is out of stock, any other recommendations?
Don't!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Just ordered a set direct from Rosemary's site.  :)

I notice Matakishi mentioned brush soap and I've never really considered that before, I just use hot water (might explain the high turnover of brushes). The stuff on Antenociti's site is out of stock, any other recommendations?

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/product_030230174.htm

http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/cleaning_accessories/the_masters_brush_cleaner_and_preserver_two_sizes.htm

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »
everyone should own W&N Series 7 no 00, 0, 1.
If only so as to compare them to other brands.
No one ever says 'Are 'x' brushes as good as Rosemary's/Foundry/GW etc'
It's always- 'How do they compare to W&N series 7.

Rosemarys are fine, a solid set of brush's, they're 90% as good as W&N, but they aint as good or better. Bristle fatigue is more drastic on Rosemary's and 'coming to a point' isn't as complete or regular when compared to series 7. Also the 'flow' is more even with W&N.
If you're not a full-time (or display only) painter, then Rosemary's are great value, unbelievable value really. I wish they had them when I started.

They're the second best after Series 7,  but they're way, way cheaper.

I agree with this but would add that my personal experience is that W&N 7's do not have the same quality control as they used to. Get a good one and it is unbelievably good but I have had a few that have been inferior. I have used W&N 7's for around 25 years and am certain that they are not as good as they used to be.

Which might be why, for me, Rosemary are "better."  I've only tried a couple of W&N series 7 - for comparison - and they were inferior.  Great brushes - but not as good.  (Cost me a fortune too.)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
Thanks Orctrader.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 05:06:28 PM »
hot water (might explain the high turnover of brushes

I was told by Chris Steadman that hot water is bad for brushes, it apparently melts the glue that holds the hairs in the ferrule.
Since I stopped using hot water my brushes last a lot longer.

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
I'm not a professional painter... and I’m not the type of person that is particularly careful with the maintenance of his paint brushes but I’ve painted around 600 28mm figures with my Rosemary's series 33 now and they keep going, and going, and going… ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:09:26 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
I'm no 'pro' painter either, but am a stickler for proper brush and equipment care.  I'd like to offer a 'caution', having picked up a half dozen of Rosemary's Series 33 and 93 brushes from her trade stand at a craft fair in Oxford last summer.  Great feel factor ('spring' in the sable), great performance, if a little 'thirsty' on the 'draw'.  The only downside:  these lovely brushes are fragile, and don't stick around very long, as they shed bristles at a brisk rate.  I've gone through three Rosemary brushes during the same period of time I've barely 'broken in' a W&N Series 7, using identical cleaning regimes for both types, which actually makes the W&N brush more economical.  Sometimes you do indeed get what you pay for.  Just my 2p.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:57 AM »
I've had mine since last summer also and none of them has shed a single hair. I hope to try a Winsor and Newton some time this year to see if I can see a difference though.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
I abuse my brushes terribly. I do all the things you're not supposed to: like using them to stir paint, digging them through the crust of half dried blobs of paint on the palette, and so on. I never do more than sloosh them in my dirty pot of water at the end of a session.
Believe me, under this regime, they ALL shed hairs and go bald within a fairly short space of time.

But this is the way I like to work. I don't have time or patience for noncing around with 'only dip the first 30% of the point into the paint, never up to the ferrule' and 'always wash your brushes out with proprietary cleaner between every paint colour'... Painting is a slow enough process anyway if you're going to aspire to a high standard.

So - given that I destroy my brushes at an alarming rate - but I still need a brush with a good point, I can afford to go through Rosemary's excellent brushes because they only cost a couple of quid a time. W&N series 7, I have found no better in either, point, 'snap' or staying power - but I can't afford to use them up in the same way as they cost around 7 quid a pop.

Ergo - Rosemary's are a way better proposition for me.

As ever, each to their own.  :)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
everyone should own W&N Series 7 no 00, 0, 1.
If only so as to compare them to other brands.
No one ever says 'Are 'x' brushes as good as Rosemary's/Foundry/GW etc'
It's always- 'How do they compare to W&N series 7.

Rosemarys are fine, a solid set of brush's, they're 90% as good as W&N, but they aint as good or better. Bristle fatigue is more drastic on Rosemary's and 'coming to a point' isn't as complete or regular when compared to series 7. Also the 'flow' is more even with W&N.

They're the second best after Series 7,  but they're way, way cheaper.

Totally agree. Got several Rosemary brushes and although they are fine...they are not as fantastic. Their points are not as crisp and strong as W&N brushes and freehanding with them is a lot harder than with W&N brushes. My Rosemary brushes also degraded a lot faster than my W&N's. I usually do about 1-2 years with W&N brushes but the Rosemary's wear out a lot quicker.
But as Orctrader said, brushes are very personal :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:48 AM »
I abuse my brushes terribly. I do all the things you're not supposed to: like using them to stir paint, digging them through the crust of half dried blobs of paint on the palette, and so on. I never do more than sloosh them in my dirty pot of water at the end of a session.
Believe me, under this regime, they ALL shed hairs and go bald within a fairly short space of time.

But this is the way I like to work. I don't have time or patience for noncing around with 'only dip the first 30% of the point into the paint, never up to the ferrule' and 'always wash your brushes out with proprietary cleaner between every paint colour'... Painting is a slow enough process anyway if you're going to aspire to a high standard.

So - given that I destroy my brushes at an alarming rate - but I still need a brush with a good point, I can afford to go through Rosemary's excellent brushes because they only cost a couple of quid a time. W&N series 7, I have found no better in either, point, 'snap' or staying power - but I can't afford to use them up in the same way as they cost around 7 quid a pop.

So it's not just me then,

:)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 12:09:41 PM »
So it's not just me then,

:)

Bought some W&N brushes because people whose opinions I respect kept saying about how much of a difference they make to your painting. Found them to be just as crap as the cheapo ones I normally use, not the miracle brushes I had heard about at all. Waste of money if you ask me. I'll stick to cheap and cheerful from now on.

Might try these Rosemary ones though, as it appears they don't cost an arm and a leg.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »

I wince as I read this...