Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What was/is your favorite Call of Call of Cthulhu Adventure?  (Read 8285 times)

Offline sneakgun

• Bookworm
What was/is your favorite Call of Call of Cthulhu Adventure?
« on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:51 AM »
 ???I'm putting on an adventure in 1865 Washington DC USA have the adventurers stop the Assassination of President Lincoln. What adventure is your favorite?

Regards,
brian

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: What was/is your favorite Call of Call of Cthulhu Adventure?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
The Masks of Nyarlathotep is great.

I also like the one from the 1st/2nd edition rule book. The one where you go investigate Harney Reginald and the Migo. Good stuff.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:24:40 AM »
The one that I recently played.
Last adventure was Dust to Dust  from Dead Reckonings.
, ,

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »
We tried Masks of Nyarlathotep a couple of years ago, but found it was just too big and too long. We didn't go insane, the Keeper did ;)

Last year we played the Curse of Cthulhu (IIRC Funghi from Yuggoth is the other name). Although the scenarios don't always link together well and the ending was poorly written, we had a real blast. It took a lot of my time Keepering it, but I had lots of fun. I used Photoshop and Indesign to create old parchments, withered clues, etc. The players loved it.
I can really recommend this campaign. The main campaign is six scenarios long (with two introductory scenarios) and is set all over the globe. Lots of fun!

Last Friday we finished the 'At the Mountains of Madness' campaign. It was a long while since I was an investigator again and this campaign is excellent. We finished it quite quickly (6 sessions I think). The only problem with the last part is that it's quite straight forward and players are bound to miss a lot. Once you've seen the main building, the end race is on. The story itself is terrific though...and facing off against a Shoggoth and losing 20 Sanity Points (jup, I rolled a '20' on a D20 :D) was hilarious.

For one-off scenarios I can really recommend 'The Crook'd Manse' scenario from the 'Mansions of Madness' book. It is a fantastic campaign for a onenighter or as introduction scenario for new players. It has all the right elements for a spooky night with cataclysmic ending. A real blast!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
Its all good but I liked the one with the still born boy (Jeramy? The Monster in the Well) and the old woman with Bake Great Cookies at 99%.

I also liked the homemade one'smy bro wrote (one of which appeared in the Whispere Number 1 about ack the Ripper).

I have always thought the Power Behind the Throne was a great cthulhu adveture set in the old world, roleplaying, plots and no combats for weeks and weeks...

I also played a cracking one at convulsion some years ago, jungle slime monster corrupts entire party (though that may be based on the others players ability) and a Dad's Army one at Gen Con.

I've always thought that Cthulhu is the game where players and GM matter much more than the actual adventure, interact counts above all!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:00:07 PM by thebinmann »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
The problem is I've played so much Cthumhu it's all melted into one...

But I remember a great scene with sacrfical tables and brain scooping!

And the one where the green goo can melt you or make your face and beard writhe to give that tentacle effect  :o :D o_o

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
Beyond the Mountains of Madness is my favorite.  Really something, that campaign. 
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
There were several adventures in the first Blood Brothers supplement that were great fun. I ran them more as narrative stories and kept the dice rolling to a minimum, they almost ended up as 'murder mystery' games and everyone really enjoyed them

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
for me it's got to be 'orient express'  ran it for 2 years as they trecked across europe and back,

One adventurer even managed to finish with the same character he started with.
Mainly due to staying as far away from any action as possible (i'm looking at you colin!)

as a one off, it's hard to beat the 'haunted house' that was in many editions of the rules as a starter scenario,

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
I would agree with Auton on this one...even thou the adventures were a bit 'silly' for C.O.C., I.M.H.O. I will always love Blood Brothers. Great fun!

Somthing about the Dark Ages expansion that always appealed to me...never played it thou...

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »
Dark Age is quite a lot of fun, though the one campaign I ran ended with one of my players actually killing Y'Golonac with a broadsword.  Hadn't counted on that one!  While I haven't run it, the adventure included in the book looks pretty good.

Offline Troll

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:37:27 PM »
I really enjoyed running and playing Shadows of Yog-Sothoth.  The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight was my favorite chapter.
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
"Bad Moon Rising" from the Great Old Ones scenario book.

Starts with plucky investigators in 1920s spacesuits travelling through a gate to a moonbase full of Elder Things in stasis. Things rapidly go downhill from there. And there is a fantastic twist in the plot at the end. What's not to love?

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:31 AM »
Always enjoyed the Blood Brothers series.  Masks of Nylarthotep would be a close second.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
Ran a Dreamlands campaign, it ended up being over the top Pulp action, lots of fun!
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games