Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Gauntlet Battle Report  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Zombie Gauntlet Battle Report
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:07 AM »
My gaming group recently ran a zombie skirmish game at a local convention in Minnesota, USA (www.ConofTheNorth.org).  I thought I'd share a few photos and a brief battle report.

For rules, we used our home-brew system which owes the inspiration of its core mechanics to Necromunda, Mordheim, and LotR.  My group's forum, with links to other photos and events, is located at:  http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

EVENT:  Zombie Gauntlet
DESCRIPTION:  "Well, our ride is trashed, we're surrounded by zombies, and the supposed safe zone is still at least a block away. Smile, it's all down hill from here!"

An overhead view of the zombie-infested area showing the city street strewn with burned out wrecks, rubble, and the fenced-off safe zone visible at the bottom of the picture.

Another view of the area, looking down the street toward the safe zone.  Shouldn't be too hard to reach...

The survivors pile out of their vehicle after it has run out of fuel and coasted to a halt against a rubble pile.

They begin making their way up the street, but their activity has begun to draw a large horde of zombies to the area.

Curly knocks back an approaching zombie with blast from his "street sweeper" shotgun.

Johnny B. Goode and Candy the Exotic Dancer are beset by more zombies on the other side of the wrecked police car.

The survivors put down one zombie after another, but more keep coming and quickly begin to surround them from all sides.

A zombie crawls up unseen from behind and catches Denny Hacker by surprise.

The group makes a mad dash for the safe zone, jumping over several barricades in order to reach the gate.

Angie covers the group with her pistols as they keep running toward the safe zone enclosure.

Just as the survivors manage to open the locked gate, another group of zombies shambles forth and attacks them from the nearby ruined building.

Knocking back the last of their attackers, the remaining survivors manage to bolt into the enclosure and reach the security of the safe zone.  The horror of their ordeal is finally at an end.  Or is it...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:21:17 PM by Maniacus »
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

-------------------------------------------------

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Re: Zombie Gauntlet Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Thanks or the great report.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
nice
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
Nice selection of models, any chance of a run down of what came from where?

Offline Charles_Rane

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
Nice selection of models, any chance of a run down of what came from where?

I second this.

Looks like a great game you guys ran there.

Offline MrHarold

• Mad Scientist
  • Leading the way to where ever it is we're going...
    • ClearHorizon Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
love the conversion on the survivors car too.. whole thing looks great, thanks!
ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi Miniatures
http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

ClearHorizon Salavge - 15mm Miniatures Blog
http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.com

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
Great report

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
And relatively close to me.....

I'll have to keep my eye open for next years event.  Looks like a blast.

Thanks for the great report!

Offline Booboo

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
Wow, top notch photos.  Thanks for sharing.

With that list of "inspirations" for the rules (myself having not been satisfied with the big contenders for modern horror), I can't help but ask if "we" might see the rules sometime in the future, either as a commercial release, or just free to the people.  I'd love to see what you did. :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »

Cool photos, thanks for sharing.

It looks like the zombie apocalypse involved serious urban destruction in your case: not a single intact building :)

I really like the survivors vehicle with the plated up windows and gas tanks etc.  Thats a projevt that I have been meaning to get around to but never done yet.  I will be referencing yours when I do :)

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
very awsome looking game

Offline Maniacus

• Bookworm
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:14:49 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.  As to some of the questions asked:

The zombie figures are largely repainted HorrorClix plus GW plastic zombies (conversions involving mixing fantasy zombies with Catachan bits).  The survivor figures are composed mostly of selections from Foundry Street Violence, Copplestone, and Reaper Chronoscope.  I will check with the guy that supplied most of the survivors to see if he can give more specific info.

My brother finished up the survivor's vehicle just in time to use it for this game.  It's a converted 1:48 scale die-cast SUV with a lot of bits added on.  The scratched paint is literally just that, then he gave it some dull coat to get rid of the factory shine and dirtied it up with mud and dust.  Maybe he can post some more detailed pictures of the vehicle, as I think it turned out great.

The table certainly did have a post-apocalypse feel with all the burned out ruined buildings.  That was partly because our growing collection of intact modern buildings is still in process (see:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14786.0).  For next year's convention we plan to complete our modern city terrain and then run another zombie scenario with each player running their own group of survivors, each with its own competing agenda.

As far as the ruleset, we don't have any plans to make it available commercially as it would contain too much "source" material from the rules that inspired it.  However, it we get it into a proper format at some point, I'm sure we could make it available for those that wanted a copy.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
My brother finished up the survivor's vehicle just in time to use it for this game.  It's a converted 1:48 scale die-cast SUV with a lot of bits added on.  The scratched paint is literally just that, then he gave it some dull coat to get rid of the factory shine and dirtied it up with mud and dust.  Maybe he can post some more detailed pictures of the vehicle, as I think it turned out great.

It did turn out well.  I would love to see some more photos of vehicles like that.

The table certainly did have a post-apocalypse feel with all the burned out ruined buildings.  That was partly because our growing collection of intact modern buildings is still in process (see:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14786.0).  For next year's convention we plan to complete our modern city terrain and then run another zombie scenario with each player running their own group of survivors, each with its own competing agenda.

Semi-allied with competing agendas (agendae?) versus zombies run by the game system (essentially "bots") is the ideal way to zombie game IMHO.  I am interested in anything that anyone comes up with in that vein.