Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:23:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first game with the odd picture  (Read 2601 times)

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
My first game with the odd picture
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:01:14 AM »
Being Dyslexic I find it hard to remember or understand rules in table top games , so I played the game my self solo a few times to get the hang of it, and am grateful for the help  Uncle Mike give clarifying any questions I had,  plus I did find the game easy to get the hang of.

So for our first game we rolled the scenario   Retrieve the Artefact   the scenery was set up as seen in the picture, alter in middle with a pile of skulls and 2 torch pedestals next to it, on the 4 corners were 4 pedestals 5'' apart with small Cthulhu statues on them, these were to be searched by the agents or removed by the lurkers, and around the out side were dead tree stumps, nothing would grow in this dreadful place.
So for the first  game my son and I had,  he went with a character  and 3 agents,  character  had a sword and light armour and picked a skill that give a AP1( ill let him change if he want to for the next game) to any fire arm he used. BP 5/3=8
3 agents he picked, one had a rifle other 2 the .45 gun and bowie knife they came with he used the free skill to give them all 4+ dex. BP 6/1=7, BP 5/3=8, 8 +7 =15BP
For the lurkers I went for the same setup as in the rule book, cult leader 5BP fish man 6BP  and 4 cultists 4BP using the common weapons they had, BP =15.

With this picture you see the overall set up playing lurkers left to right all games will be played like this reason being is am setting on the computer seat and son gets the stool.

After a few rounds you can see the lurkers removing one wee Cthulhu statue and the agent in the blue suit has searched the statue and found a scroll, after search I removed that statue.
Also in the picture you can see the cult leader getting ready to remove a wee statue, but before that he nominated the fish man to move using his 2 turn to attack the agent in the brown coat.

In this picture the fish man is about to start a round of combat with a agent, as the fish man was hideous the agent had to roll his resolve this he did 5+,  but the end result was that the fish man won the round of combat and the agent took a major injury and was removed from play.
Now it was the agents turn the main character nominated the rifle agent to shoot the fish man but he missed, then he nominated the last remaining agent in the blue suit to shoot the fish man, as he was within 5’’ and seeing his friend die he had to roll a resolve this he did with a 5+, he shoot at and hit with a roll of 5 but the fish man had a cover save and failed.
After a round of shooting with some lucky dice the fish man lay face down, with one action left the agent was going to shoot him again, at this point I stopped him and explained rather then chance a miss shot, measure to see if he could charge into combat this he did, he moved into base contact with the fish man as the fish man was face down in combat he received a major injury and was removed from play.

Rest of game played out lurkers removing 2 statues and agent finding a scroll and map, after this it was a shoot up to the end with one more agent being removed to a minor wound and all lurkers dieing, after a search the two agents failed to find any map pieces, with the threshold winning the scenario my son used the skill point to give the rifle agent the skill Lighting Fast e.g. no more ready action to use rifle.
The injured agent rolled on the Major Injury Table with a 6 then 4 as he was a agent the 6 was lowered to a 5 this given him 54 result  Full Recovery he  got lucky.

Side note
Fully standing behind a tree trunk or the pedestal gives a 4+cover save partially ether 5 or 6

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:26:25 AM by jnr »

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Re: My first game with the odd picture
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
Nice report and pictures :)  Did you give on of those Artizan cultists a club btw? 

In terms of the game do the scroll and map piece the Threashold found carry on to the next game? And where are the torch pedestals from, they look pretty nice pieces.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Nice report...sounds like it went fairly smoothly.

My favorite part... "and around the out side were dead tree stumps, nothing would grow in this dreadful place." Very evocative of an ancient and evil sacrificial set up. Also, who makes the alter and flaming brasier statue things?...they look great!

And Blackstone, the Scroll can be translated into a spell for later use and the map piece can be 'spent' to hire Special Agents or to play a Quest Scenario...so, yes, all that stuff carries over into later games (as do Injuries and Madness  >:D)...I think it adds a pretty cool 'R.P.G. element' to the game (without alot of extra mindless complexity...)

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
Because if there`s one thing Mike hates, it`s over complicating things.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
My brain is pretty much 'rock and roll suicide' so keeping rules easy enough for me to remember usually means everyone else will have no problems... ;D lol

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
Thank you for the commits.
Yes that is an Artizan cultist with a club, drilled his hand and soldered a brass rod in then used some Procreate to shape it, you can do the similar with 2 more of that range.
I done some thing similar to three Hasslefree zombie’s give them dynomite stick a sword and meat cleaver, I like Hasslefree zombie as they fit in with my idea of Herbert West Colleagues being zombie’s.

The torches come from http://www.fantascene.net/gothicterrain.htm   same with the dead tree stumps; I also bought a number of head stones and the Pentagram stone/Summoning circle
This firm is in the UK

The alter is part of a set Necromancers Study from http://www.secondcity.org.uk/page6.htm
I also bought the Altar with Sacrificial Stone and a Ral Parth Fire Demon and Flesh Golem it’s got 2 heads an 3 arms am using as a Conglomerate, the Pay Pal puts post on every thing you order, but you receive a refund from the firm once post is sorted out at around 10%
There is an other site selling the same resin parts http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_41&sort=20a&page=2 but not bought any thing here. Both here in the UK

This is an other site selling some nice stuff, bought a few head stones from here
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aicem.htm  this is were the pedestal came from that the Cthulhu statues sat on there is 2 parts to the pedestal these Mixed Memorials (4 pieces - up to 6cm/2½" high) this firm is in the UK

This picture is the Ral Parth Flesh Golem ill be using as a  Conglomerate

With this picture Ill be using this Heresy figure The Monster as a Blasphemous Construct

My finished West Wind  Werewolf

Daemonic Hound

Some wound makers  the  Altar with Sacrificial Stone from Second City female stuck on with blue tack  and the Pentagram stone/Summoning circle  Fantascene
The skulls are plastic and come from Game Workshop scenery

Alter with Sacrificial Stone  removed and replaced with a Pulp Figures she a WIP  job

Offline Stavros Banjo

• Scientist
  • I despise normality
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »
Great report. Please sir, can we have some more?

I'm just about to start painting a pile of Artizan cultists but may have to rethink the colour scheme now after seeing yours. I think they look really good in white. Thanks for posting the link to the Second City site too. There's some really nice stuff on there that I just know I won't be able to resist for too much longer. Guess I'll be hiding the credit card statement from the wife this month.... again  lol

Keep up the good work.
...and what fresh new hell is this?

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
The robes the Artizan cult figures wear put me in mind of the ones the KKK wore with the 2 holes for eyes, I painted one white see how it looked and I to liked it, the figures wearing the Fez hats I painted all white as that is a common colour in North Africa, I could have went with a more off white or cream, but the 2 cult group go will together all being white.

The scenery you see in my pictures I have bought for this game, am just after some Stone Age type standing stones and that will be enough. 
Plus I have bought 50 plus head stones to make a cemetery, these will also be for my other games ROE and Slaughterloo and Flintloque, they are painted up just need a picture of them.