Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: first 54mm Toy Soldier  (Read 3325 times)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
first 54mm Toy Soldier
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
Hi

My very first wargaming when I was 12 was with Little Wars and Airfix 54mm plastics and I have decided that this year I want to put together forces matching those in the original Little Wars of a Blue and Red Army.

I am quite taken with the Funny Little Wars rules and have bought 10 Cannon off ebay in preparation, I just need the troops now.

To this end, as I am a toy soldier manufacturer, I have started to work on a small range of suitable 54mm figures to be cast in metal.

This is the first figure, which has separate arms and heads – currently a Home Service Head for normal troops and a bearskin head for guard troops.

They are sized to match Tradition in scale.

The next step will be an officer based on the same master body, followed by a standard bearer and then some cavalry.

After that I hope to do some artillery crew for the Britain's cannons.

This is Army Red sorted – I'm still looking for ideas for Army Blue, of whether to use French or German troops types – any suggestions welcomed.

I have no idea how much these will cost to produce, so have no real idea until I cast them of what the end price will be if I decided to make them generally available

let me know what you think…

Many thanks

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: first 54mm Toy Soldier
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
I think these are great  :)

Personally, no interest in buying/painting them as I don't "do" 54mm, but will love seeing them done by others.  (I wonder if there would be a market for them?  I hope so.)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
I think these are great  :)

Personally, no interest in buying/painting them as I don't "do" 54mm, but will love seeing them done by others.  (I wonder if there would be a market for them?  I hope so.)

Tehy are initially being done for myself, so if anyone else wants themand I sell enough to cover the sculpting and moulding costs then that it is a bonus

Mike

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
Black Hat

They look great - I think there would be quite a lot of interest in them in the larger figure hobby. If you decide you do want to sell them, I write a regular figure review column in a couple of toy soldier hobby magazines, and would be happy to feature them for you. PM me if you are interested.

Mike
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »
What a coincidence.  I just started painting a 54mm War of 1812 US army.  I bought metal figs from this company:

http://www.allthekingsmentoysoldiers.com/

Great little company and neat miniatures.  I must admit I am liking the "feel" of these larger toy soldier game pieces.  I will post pics of my painting progress when I get a little further.
This is my boomstick!