Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stone Walls  (Read 2618 times)

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
Stone Walls
« on: February 06, 2010, 05:12:50 AM »
Holy crap I've finished two projects in less than a year!  lol  Seriously though...  I'm trying to work up to the big stuff for my WW2 terrain so since I finished the scatter bushes it was time for some stone walls.  I used a popsickle as a base and glued on Talus Rock from woodland scenics with some tacky glue.  The rocks tend to crumble so I decided to mold them in silicone before trying to do much work to them.  After I've had a chance to do some detail work (filling voids and deep undercuts) on the cast pieces I'll mold them again so I can cast up as many as needed.  Here's a couple of extra cast from the first mold that I painted up:

and with the scatter bushes:

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
Re: Stone Walls
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
They look great.  They should come handy for lots of gaming genres.  Making molds of them was a neat idea.  You should be able to crank out a ton.  :)

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:01 PM »
Very nice work, and I envy your ability to make molds.

I made some very similar walls to yours over christmas, only I used kitty litter for the rocks:

This was the prototype

and this was the bigger attempt I did:

as I cant make molds, these and the others I am making are taking a bit of time.

Offline dlmos

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
Thanks!  I really like the look of your walls there Sheerluck, I think the kitty litter is bit better size wise.  I wouldn't be making molds of mine either except I've got some Mold Max 30 turning to jello in the closet  lol  How sturdy did your turn out, the talus rock I used would crush under any rough handling.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
So far the walls have stood the test of time... but I haven't handled them very roughly at all, and I haven't traveled anywhere with them. 

I should be taking them to a game this week, so I can let you know how they travel towards the end of the week.

The 'stones' are only held together by white glue (PVA glue in my part of the world) and then painted. The good thing about the kitty litter is it only cost me $2 for a 2kg bag, which should last me a life time.

I am also using the smaller pieces of litter to make rubble, so it gets a lot of use.