Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ganesha Games  (Read 11468 times)

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: Ganesha Games
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Can the rules be used for Old West scenarios at all?

at the moment there is nothing writen specifically for the old west (probably there is something at the yahoo group, but I don't know)... but the napoleonic version of the rules can be adapted to do that...

The great about these rules is that they are really very simple and are easily adapted to almost all situations due to that same simplicity.

Cheers,
Pedro

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
I think you can end in a big mess with skirmish games that are linked to specific models ala Malifaux, Helldorado, Infinity etc. Helldorado is an excellent case in point, but open systems ala SBH, Sharp Practice etc have the advantage that if that set doesn't work then you can find another that will work for the same models.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
Big mess:

thinking that because the game  works perfectly for 10 figures... you can add bit more... then end with 200.... typical wargaming behavior  ;D even if the rules seay "this will not work".

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »
Erm. no, I'd be looking at mass battle systems for 200 figures.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
WILD WEST - A few players are using Flying Lead for Wild West, with the online weapon builder you can customise the weapons. There is a thread on the GG forum about statting up Winchesters and the rules have most other types of projectile weapon categories ... we have used them for Firefly a lot and that is basically Wild West for the outland planets.

Rich J
Rich J

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
The more I hear about Flying Lead the more I'm tempted!

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
It's only 8 US dollars ... be tempted, although I would say that of course  lol

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Big mess:
thinking that because the game  works perfectly for 10 figures... you can add bit more... then end with 200.... typical wargaming behavior  ;D even if the rules seay "this will not work".

That may or may not be a "big mess." As others have pointed out, the rules are inexpensive and not tied to any specific product line. Since there's no large financial investment in the rules themselves, and no game-specific miniatures to buy, the risk is practically negligible. It wouldn't be difficult at all to find a different rule set that meets the requirements for larger battles, should one outgrow the game. (Or even to house rule the game at hand to fit one's needs. I've done so extensively, to make the rules work in ways that fit better to my group's preferences. Being as simple as they are, the games take well to such modification.)

But the important point is: Is the questionable "big mess" the fault of the game system or the designer? I'd say that's a big "No." The games state quite clearly what they're intended to achieve - they don't pretend to be something they're not. If someone thinks they'll do more than they claim and ends up disappointed, that's the person's fault - not the game's, no?

8)
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
Sounds good, I'll get myself a set, I've got around a hundred painted Foundry Old West figures that need an airing.
Alea Iacta Est

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:31 AM »
I tried out SBH a while back and really liked it ... at first  ::)

I found that although the rules are definitely elegant, the are a little shallow for my taste.  I think that they are great for a one off scenario every once and a while, but the really value for me was using them to play games with my son (who had just turned eight at the time).

As others have suggested, different folks, different strokes.  I'm currently preparing to play a Gothic Horror campaign using Chaos in Carpathia, and when I played Old West I used Legends of the Old West.  When I start playing Pulp, I will find a rule set that works specifically for that genre.

Offline BakerBoy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
I have read this thread with interest as I have recently bought Songs of Drums and Shakos, and I was surprised how much dice rolling there was to make the game happen.  Like rolling to activate every man and see how many actions he had. 

I am thinking about buying Flying Lead, but does this work in the same way?  How many figures shuld I have on one side in a typical game?

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
Hi
all the games are really aimed at using between 8 and maybe 15 figures a side, typically    around 10.
Flying Lead works in much the same way but the game probably goes quicker as there is no need to reload as an action etc. Also the way the group actions work is slightly different, command distance wise etc. We happily play games with a couple of more generic squads and a vehicle a side.
Rich

Offline BakerBoy

• Schoolboy
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
Thanks for the answer.  So the rules work the same way in that you roll between one and three dice for activation? 

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Yes they do although in modern armed forces games you tend to be activating a 'fire team' with a roll and not individuals, although obviously this is sometimes desirable.