Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Banana Trees  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Banana Trees
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
Looking at my backyard, I see   banana trees.

A must for `South America, Mexico and Africa, gaming I would think.  Yet, I don't see many on the gaming table. 

Anyone know who to make them? (plastic ones, I already know how real banana trees make little banana trees  :D Actually, I don't.  Fill me in on that as well, please)   ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:27:05 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Banana Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
(I already know how real banana trees make little banana trees  :D Actually, I don't.  Fill me in on that as well, please)

Modern cultivars (mainly Cavendish) are seedless. They are propagated from offsets. This makes them genetically identical clones and thereby quite vulnerable to diseases.

Botanists describe banana plants as pseudostems so they're not really trees at all. Or so they say.

Pegasus Hobbies makes plastic banana trees. (pic). You can get them from Noble Knight, for example. Or here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:13:20 PM by Dolmot »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:05 PM »
Modern cultivars (mainly Cavendish) are seedless. They are propagated from offsets. This makes them genetically identical clones and thereby quite vulnerable to diseases.

Botanists describe banana plants as pseudostems so they're not really trees at all. Or so they say.

Pegasus Hobbies makes plastic banana trees. (pic). You can get them from Noble Knight, for example. Or here.

Thats the ones I have, stil in their boxes but look fine

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:33:35 AM »

Thanks!  My neighbor, a botonist, told me I had to kill one of my fur banana "plants" for sme reason, toinsure the others would thrive.  Very hard to kill.  You can't.  I dug the entire root system out, and it keeps coming back.  Oh well.   The 'nanas are tasty, if small, on my plants.   :)

Mine are not like those, though.  They have many stalks/stems, all huddled together.  (about fifty stalks/trunks, bunched in a 6' x 6' group, for each 'Nana tree)

Pegasus, eh?  Will acquire!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:36:26 AM by Smokeyrone »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
Speaking of bananas...

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:22:29 AM »
Yours may be Plantains which look very similar but tend to be smaller, both fruit and plant.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
Yours may be Plantains which look very similar but tend to be smaller, both fruit and plant.

The Plantains we get here are HUGE (thrice the size of bananas)  These are "Little bananas", about 6 inches long.   BTW, pan seared plantains is a staple at the Smokey household (they get really sweet when you cook them).  With yellow rice, beans and a fish or skirt steak, you really have a fine meal going!

As an aside, I found a Haitian woman (she volunteered with us, packing boxes of relief items for Haiti) with a bunch of Ackee trees! (They are super illegal in Florida, the gubmint will cut them down if reported to them, so you have to buy canned ackee at $10.00 a can!!! >:()  She, thrilled that a white boy knew what an ackee is (to use  her words  ;)) , and knows what to do with them, gave me a big bag of frozen ackee, and said she will keep me in ackee in perpetuam.    ;D

Cod  and ackee is a traditional English/Caribbean meal in the West Indies.  Nothing better!!!!  :D  That is Pirate/Privateering fare, I'll tell you what!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »

In the back of my head there's a hole where ideas wander in and nibble at my brain occasionally, causing mild pain and irritation.

I've been considering making some jungle foliage for my Chindits (and also for some planned Gurkha purchases) using the old aquarium-plant favourites as well as some more creative bits and pieces.

I found these homemade banana trees http://www.warfactory.co.uk/gallery/alanjungle/alanjunglegallery.php ; although it's not exactly a 'how-to', you can kind of see how they're put together. I must give them a go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:28:18 AM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »
Cubs, fix da link.  :-)

Grimm

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:21 AM »
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
The Plantains we get here are HUGE (thrice the size of bananas)  These are "Little bananas", about 6 inches long.   BTW, pan seared plantains is a staple at the Smokey household (they get really sweet when you cook them).  With yellow rice, beans and a fish or skirt steak, you really have a fine meal going!

I was about to say, the fully grown plaintains I turn into chips are MASSIVE!

Maybe there's a rare pygmy plaintain somewhere....

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
Cubs, fix da link.  :-)

Grimm

Nothing wrong with it, I don't know what you mean, man.

Tum ti dum.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »
Hoard O Bits sells some: http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=banana&cat2=&cat3=&cat4=&page=&view=08122013-1-80 (if the link doesn't work try the main page and then do a search for "banana": http://hoardobits.com/ )

I bought some for my 28mm Vietnam war game, and were ok if you wanted small to medium plants.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »
Thanks Holmes, I didn't know Pegasus had started to do the banana trees as well as their other palm trees.

If I was planning to do a load and didn't mind spending a little, they'd certainly be my first choice I reckon.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Cubs - we've exchanged on the WG forum.

Those banana trees are mine, so if you want to know how to make 'em, let me know. Aiden hasn't updated the Warfactory site in a few years, but I'm too lazy to set up a website, and my health is a bit ropey so there are other things I should do in any case. I've come up with a fair number of modelling solutions over the years, and am happy to share any of them if anyone wants.

Al