Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:00:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do you base your Mexican Old West Adobe buildings?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Do you base your Mexican Old West Adobe buildings?
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
And, if so, do you put them on wooden plank decks, like you would normal wooden western buildings?

Christian has inspired me to build a 15mm Old Mexico village, and I'm wondering what to do with basing or not.
(you ought to see his, it is coming along nicely)

Thanks, me droogs!

;)

Smokey
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
Re: Do you base your Mexican Old West Adobe buildings?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »

Sometimes my wooden buildings have wooden plank decks like the buildings in the following picture when they are part of a town:

When they are standing alone or are part of a lumberyard or something they do not have any planks like on this picture:

All my adobe buildings do not have any plank decks because they were built directly on the earth like on the next two pics:

All my houses are based on so called ABS-plates (german word for white plastic boards) approx. 1 - 2 mm thick (it is a matter of how big the building is which is standing on it) so that you can add details as crates, barrels, stones etc.  to it. I think it is a kind of personal taste and there are not any rules for this decision ... hope this helps  ;)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
I'm flattered  :-* Anyway, yes I base all of mine. If it isn't on thick cardboard, I use some compressed craft "wood" squares. They just make the whole thing sturdier. I can punch that two-storey building I built on the holidays and it even puts up a fight!  ;)

workerBee

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
So far,  ;)  for my Northern Mexico pueblo I have not considered basing because the buildings in "Real Life" often were built from the ground up.   lol

Now that I have two story multiple part buildings (Gracias, Old Glory!) I must admit I wonder if that wouldn't be better for transportation  :o - although I don't expect to move them off the table in the basement in the foreseeable future.   ::)

Gracias,

Glenn