Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New skirmish rules from Crusader  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
New skirmish rules from Crusader
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »
Have just got the new 'Rate of Fire' rules from North Star. Very nice infantry combat rules, although no tanks as yet.

They cover the whole war very nicely and can even be adapted to Post-WW2 period, etc.

Anyone played a game with them yet?
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: New skirmish rules from Crusader
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
Using them tomorrow for a Spanish Civil War game, will let you know how we get on.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »
Using them tomorrow for a Spanish Civil War game, will let you know how we get on.

I would be VERY interested in hearing how that went.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »
Hmm if they can do moderns I will be there but would need vehicle rules

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
I would be VERY interested in hearing how that went.
It will be a win for the Republicans! :D
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »
Well we played the game last night, I did not make any additions for any of the peculiarities of the Spanish Civil war as we just wanted to see how the rules worked. We did not set any turn limit again because we wanted to run through the rules, likewise we did not set down any objectives other than to destroy the other side, in hindsight perhaps we should have done as we both tended to hide behind the nearest wall and try to spot the enemy. I thought that the table would need plenty of cover but I think I over did it a little, we spent nearly 6 moves trying to spot each other, not easy as you tend to need a 5 or 6, having said that we did like the use of markers until you were spotted. Firing and morale are fairly straight forward, roll to hit and then roll to kill, morale, score equal or higher to pass, morale goes down in stages, suppressed, broken and dispersed, if you have used Mark's Rank and File rules you will pick the games mechanisms up quite quickly. Be aware close combat is brutal, mostly 4+ to hit and no converting to kill! twice Dave managed to wipe out my squads, and yes the Rebublicans won. We played about 20 turns in two hours, it would have been less if we had not been skulking in cover for so many turns or could have thrown some decent spotting dice.

We plan to use them next week at GHQ, Dads Army v Fallschrimjager.

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
"...twice Dave managed to wipe out my squads, and yes the Rebublicans won. We played about 20 turns in two hours, it would have been less if we had not been skulking in cover for so many turns or could have thrown some decent spotting dice."
Now, Phil, you may have been skulking, I was lying patiently in ambush waiting for you to move! ;) But yes, I think both sides need to visit an optician based on our spotting 'success'! lol Did you mention who won, by the by....

We will to use them next week at GHQ, in a Dads Army v Fallschrimjager game ~ the Defense of Market Blandings I think, with a special bonus for bringing home the bacon perhaps?
David

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
Have just returned from playing the game myself and have to say I enjoyed it. We only played 20 figures per side, Brit Paras versus SS, plucky paras won the day and the objective. Liked the markers and the splitting fire rule, learnt to not move at the double in the open and to tool up with more lmgs. We managed to play the game in about an hour and forty minutes, lots of rule checking but more or less what we have been looking for. Bit weird when a Piat wipes out individual troops, so we might have a go at cobbling together some AFV / vehicle rules, then carry on with our Operation Sealion ladder campaign. Overall, to be recommended to the WW2 player. Already have plans to adapt to Post-1945 games and possibly even Zombie / Weird War gaming. Just need to get the tracks and wheels in action to make it feel more like our other games.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
The vehicle rules are been worked on, there should be some details for German and US vehicles on the Crusader site after the weekend.