Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:51:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Textured Wallpaper = Cheap Bricks!  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
Textured Wallpaper = Cheap Bricks!
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
Hey Gents,

One of the chaps over on TMP suggested this material from Lowes as usefull for bricks.

It is a textured wallpaper that is a mottled oatmeal grey, almost mortar colored one might say. ;)

To see how this stuff looks I followed the directions and slapped it on some foam core.
This is how it looks with just a quick drybrish of red.

Minis by Hasslefree & Pulp Minis for scale.

This is how it looks wrapped around the end of the foam core.
I'll have to work on getting it crisper around the edges, but this means it will wrap easily for curved structures.

It goes on easy and takes paint well, but I am concerned as to how well the prepaste holds. I might just add some good ole Elmer's on the next try. It cuts very easily. The roll cost me $20 and should last me a really long time. Now to make some really big brick buildings.

Thanks to the chap that pointed this out.
Tom

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Textured Wallpaper = Cheap Bricks!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
Genius! What a nice simple idea.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
Looks very good, although most brickwork around here is a bit browner in shade (and generally tainted by decades of chimney soot or car fumes)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
It looks exactly like the "fake brick" used on some newer buildings around here (basically a huge, rubber mold created texture on walls and stone fences, painted very similar)  It's LOL funny seeing 6x8 FOOT rubber molds being used.

Makes you want to hire out for 1/1 scale work.   :D

Thanks!  That is a great tip!   ;)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »

Looking at the 2nd picture, I think it could be useful to create paved roads too… don’t you think? :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
Looking at the 2nd picture, I think it could be useful to create paved roads too… don’t you think? :?

I agree. It looks like with the right colors it could be used for cobblestones as well.

Tom

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
By the way, if someone manages to find a good texture, how about selling some snippets to other LAFfers? Every now and then I've spent time browsing the local stores' selection, but there's rarely anything usable there. If there is, the cost of a full roll is outright silly. I want to texture 28mm walls, not real ones. I bet many gamers out there still have 9.5m of their 10m roll gathering dust in a closet. Can you help us less fortunate souls?

(Yes, I've heard about the "ask for samples" -trick. Unfortunately it doesn't always work, and it definitely doesn't work, if there's no good pattern available in the first place...)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
By the way, if someone manages to find a good texture, how about selling some snippets to other LAFfers? Every now and then I've spent time browsing the local stores' selection, but there's rarely anything usable there. If there is, the cost of a full roll is outright silly. I want to texture 28mm walls, not real ones. I bet many gamers out there still have 9.5m of their 10m roll gathering dust in a closet. Can you help us less fortunate souls?

(Yes, I've heard about the "ask for samples" -trick. Unfortunately it doesn't always work, and it definitely doesn't work, if there's no good pattern available in the first place...)

Good idea, Dolmot.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
"How to make Wargames Terrain" by Citadel (the current version) has a similar tip, and it looks really good. I'm not sure if I like the spaced out bricks but I think it is great for ready-made bricks.

There is a huge paint and wallpaper place near my house so I'm going to drop by and see what's on offer. Maybe I can come away with some samples? Maybe some photos?