Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: '38 Fest  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Hastings

• Bookworm
'38 Fest
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »
we are  starting to think about a uk show for 2011 as a chance to bring together 1938 Very British Civil War players and their diverse and interesting creations. With groups now playing from Shetland to Cornwall it could be quite a creative exercise in networking. Hopefully with the support of the trade as well it will give 1938 a further boost in development

More updates as it happens

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: '38 Fest
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »
we are  starting to think about a uk show for 2011 as a chance to bring together 1938 Very British Civil War players and their diverse and interesting creations. With groups now playing from Shetland to Cornwall it could be quite a creative exercise in networking. Hopefully with the support of the trade as well it will give 1938 a further boost in development

More updates as it happens

I think you can expand that to 'From the Americas to Asia'. Anyway, I support the idea and would be tempted to go. If I may make a suggestion: don't shape it into a tournament.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
If I may make a suggestion: don't shape it into a tournament.

I'd imagine the chances of that being very remote. I get the impression that it will be more a 'show and tell' type affair.  :)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:34:57 PM »
I would suggest some kind of campaign, rather than a tournament. Except, I imagine it would be tricky as there is no one way of playing VBCW. And that can still be facilitated:

Perhaps you could adopt two to three rule sets according to the size of the game e.g. LOTOW for smaller conflicts, and Great War for larger ones.

I would then put in most of the elements from PDEs Jerusalem rules in terms of chance cards, weather and communication (and some others) to go across all the games. Some of the stranger house rules can be played, as long as there is a gentleman's agreement before the game.

That way, there is still some coherency in the way people can interact with their 1938 stuff as well as show it off  :)

A capital idea, Hastings!

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
Sounds like an excellent idea, Hastings. Hopefully my own contribution will be done by then.

-Doc

Offline Hastings

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments Gentlemen.
The words Tournament and 1938 dont sit well together :D so I dont think we will be going down that root.
Jim is spot on with 'show and tell id like to see groups bringing games based on their own areas as well as games exhibiting different sets of rules, scales and things like air and sea combat- a real mixed bag that everyone can learn something new from hopefully.

We are also looking for a venue with good airport access so it at least will be a possibility for overseas visitors

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
Link up with the overseas players, if you could get some kind of interwebby camera type affair set up, then you could have players worldwide contributing. (yes it would mean some very late night gaming) be nice to show how far the concept has spread.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
There are a few venues in Scarborough that would be suitable for gaming, and dependent on the date there is some reasonably priced accomodation (especially out of season). Out of season there are some gaming venues that might be available free too.
Airport access isn't brilliant though, although there is a direct rail link to Manchester airport at the moment (but it's about 3 hours ride) although Hammers could come over by boat :~}

There is already a large Napoleonic weekend being organised in Scarborough for 2011 (a world record gaming event, 10 major battles of the Peninsular War gamed simultaneously by an assortment of clubs using a ridiculously large number of figures on 10 very large tables).
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
...although Hammers could come over by boat :~}

You are just rife with clever ideas, aren't ya, fasto?  ;)

Offline Hastings

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »
wow! Id like to know more about where that event is being held.
I think its probably too far North but worth a look. I think idealy we are looking for a venue north of Birmingham and south of Manchester

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
I'd suggest a straw poll of who is likely to want to attend before deciding on a venue. If there is likely to be more than a couple of people coming from overseas, it's a bit of a trek flying in and then having to find your way north of Birmingham or south of Manchester... better either Birmingham or Manchester itself. One or the other might be better full stop as they are well served road and rail wise in any case.  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
wow! Id like to know more about where that event is being held.

The world record game event will be held at Scarborough Spa (a conference venue).
It was originally planned for this year, but the Spa is being refurbished. I'll post more details nearer the date when I hear some more.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »
Leicester, Derby or Nottingham maybe? South of Manchester, north of Birmingham, East Midlands airport, M1, good rail links...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
Sydney, clearly.  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
I'd suggest a straw poll of who is likely to want to attend before deciding on a venue. If there is likely to be more than a couple of people coming from overseas, it's a bit of a trek flying in and then having to find your way north of Birmingham or south of Manchester... better either Birmingham or Manchester itself. One or the other might be better full stop as they are well served road and rail wise in any case.  :)

With all due respect to those overseas gamers, why would you base the venue around whether a few non-UK gamers are likely to be flying in?  The relative numbers would be minimal - lets be generous, and say 10, compared to any group of domestic gamers.

I'd respectfully suggest that those that take the financial risk (and there will be one) should focus upon what they want from the show - by all means sounds different groups out, but then propose the event, rather than a series of alternatives.  From past experience, polls only lead to people taking diverse positions, and then throwing their toys out of the pram, when it doesn't got their way (and i'll include myself in that!).

;)