Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: “And was Jerusalem builded here?”  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: “And was Jerusalem builded here?”
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
Maybe we should start a thread for "Jerusalem Chance Cards" and anybody that has suggestions could post them there ?
There are a number of suggestions here:  http://gwargamesp.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=678&hl=chance+card
The general idea of the cards is to produce ones specific to your own games/factions etc.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 08:41:33 AM »
Thanks Overlord  ;)

The rules were originally produced for my own games and were then used for a big game held last September. The chance cards were therefore produced by me to add the type of character I wanted to my 1938 games. 

They are quite easy to do given some thought and a little imagination. They also allow you to change the style of the game from the eccentric to the very serious depending on what you want. I wanted to create a hint of Dads Army meets the SCW. Not to everyones taste.

You can also add very specific cards for a specific scenario that you are planning.

My advice is to make sure that you balance the cards otherwise they can derail the game. For example you can produce a card for every faction in the game that has a -1 morale effect and another that has a +1 morale effect.

Anything from ammunition supply to weahter changes can be done.

Also remember to have a 'no effect' card for every happening otherwise they dominate. As a normal game is about 15 moves you do not need many - although I have about 100 that I have stock piled as the creation of the cards can become quite addictive.

There are discussions to professionally produce the rules in which case cards would be supplied but in the meantime have fun.

Also worth mentioning is that I think that the rules need tweaking in certain areas - especially morale - so they are not the finished product.

Any ideas that you guys have if you try them would be interesting to hear ;)

Many thanks,
PDE

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »
Thanks Overlord  ;)

The rules were originally produced for my own games and were then used for a big game held last September. The chance cards were therefore produced by me to add the type of character I wanted to my 1938 games. 

They are quite easy to do given some thought and a little imagination. They also allow you to change the style of the game from the eccentric to the very serious depending on what you want. I wanted to create a hint of Dads Army meets the SCW. Not to everyones taste.

You can also add very specific cards for a specific scenario that you are planning.

My advice is to make sure that you balance the cards otherwise they can derail the game. For example you can produce a card for every faction in the game that has a -1 morale effect and another that has a +1 morale effect.

Anything from ammunition supply to weahter changes can be done.

Also remember to have a 'no effect' card for every happening otherwise they dominate. As a normal game is about 15 moves you do not need many - although I have about 100 that I have stock piled as the creation of the cards can become quite addictive.

There are discussions to professionally produce the rules in which case cards would be supplied but in the meantime have fun.

Also worth mentioning is that I think that the rules need tweaking in certain areas - especially morale - so they are not the finished product.

Any ideas that you guys have if you try them would be interesting to hear ;)

Many thanks,
PDE

We've been talking about setting up a game between the Swedish LAFers. We could give your rules a twirl.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »
Thats very kind of you. I would be interested to see what you Swedish guys make of our imaginary 1930's Britain  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »
Thats very kind of you. I would be interested to see what you Swedish guys make of our imaginary 1930's Britain  :)

I am thinking something very much inspired by Woodhouse and McKellen's Richard III.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
I am thinking something very much inspired by Woodhouse and McKellen's Richard III.

I thought it owed more to Alice in Wonderland and Silent Hill judging by the figures you put up here... which I actually preferred...  o_o

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »
We're just getting ready to unleash them on the school club.

Should be interesting to see the teenage response.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
I have downloaded the rules but not yet played them, and I was wondering if anyone who had could give an indication of what cards they had used, what they thought had worked well, and what didn't?

In general terms, I suppose that the game effects of the cards would be similar no matter what faction (minor stat boosts or penalties, morale, movement or co-ordination effects), but it's the reasons I think that give the flavour - from Paul Robeson turning up to sing 'The Ballad of Joe Hill' (classic!) to the BUF officers fighting about who wears the leather greatcoat (hilarious!)... the effect in game terms is the same (unit cannot act that turn) but the reason is totally different.

By the way, I think instead of producing 50% of 'no event' cards, it might be easier to roll a die, and if the number is even, nothing happens... if it's odd, something 'odd' occurs (like flocks of sheep or wandering cricket teams or whatever).

I'd really like to know what people have got to work. These look like a great set of rules and let's face it, what better way is there to get someone gaming in a new period than free rules? But it would be easier for us novices if someone could give us some pointers.

Lastly ladies and gentlemen, I have some (p)Artizan(s) that are desperate for me to get into interwar gamming and I really need to oblige them. Please help me to do so!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
I had a read through this yesterday evening.

I did enjoy them very much. A few things I enjoyed in particular:

Communications/Orders: this is a terrific concept. Having to change orders in the heat of battle through your own units is a brilliant idea.

The Weather: again, a nice inclusion which doesn't get enough attention to it in other wargames rules.

Chance Cards: while proving a bit challenging to get the hang of at first, I think this can provide a really great "atmosphere" on the battlefield.

While I find the possibility of actually playing any BCW dwindling, I would love to put these additions into my other games...

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Keep at it. I'm planning my first game with:

1 - some WWII partisans;
2 - a 10-man squad of Victorian British Line Infantry;
3 - some random WWII British, German and American infantry (one of whom has an arm missing);
4 - one or more squads of Warzone minis;
5 - any spare Judge Dredd or 40k Imperial Guard minis I have lying around (I don't play IG but I'm sure I have half a dozen somewhere);
6 - some Space Orks if I get stuck.

As long as I can make up some reasonably coherent 10-man squads, with 8 'rifles' (which may be laserguns or ork machine guns in any particular instance), 1 'SMG/LMG' (any kind of 2-handed gun that's different to, and/or bigger than, the others), and an officer with 'pistol and close combat weapon' (no I don't care if it's a chainsaw), I figure it'll be OK for a small skirmish, maybe 3 squads per side.

I will, over the next ... I don't know, 2 years maybe, get some more Spanish War and WWII partizan figures, for my Workers' Militia. But for the moment I'm just going to test out the rules with convenient figures. I'm sure you can do the same... even Warhammer Empire figures could do this, with squads armed with rifles, officer with pistol and sword (OK machine guns might be a bit tricky, but bodgeable for a quick fix).

It occurs to me that there are a lot of Gangster, Pulp and Cthulhu figs that could be pressed into service for VBCW (either VBCW in Britain, or in Australia of course - the Aussie Fascists don't necessarily have to come to Britain, they could open a second pro-King front in Oz, or battles could be fought in New Zealand, Canada, India, Kenya... and what is South Africa's stance over all this?). 'Late 30s' could easily include '20s-early '30s figures. they may just be a little unfashionably dressed is all.

What I'm saying is, there are ways and means. If you have one person you regualrly play against, or even just occassionally play against, you can probably mock up a force from your existing figures to give the rules a spin.

That's my plan anyway.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:07:15 PM by Red Orc »

Offline scotty

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »
I've also downloaded the rules and have begun constructing the chance cards. I've got approx 30 so far, Many ideas borrowed from GWP3. I've got the templated saved and will slowly add to it over time. Particular favourite is the cavalry being distracted by a fox.

scotty

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what Action cards do. Are they an indication of who is able to move and who has already gone?