Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quick Native Huts  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Quick Native Huts
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
During last weekend's gaming con, I found myself at an establishment I don't usally frequent, a coffee-related chain we'll call TarBlechs. After getting my overpriced drink, I grabbed one of those sleeves one gets to protect your hands from overheated coffee-like substance... and realized that TarBelch's current sleeves are partially corrugated cardboard, open on one side. Several more found their way into my coat pockets for modelling purposes, and I may have to raid a nearer TarBlech's soonish for more modelling supplies!

The walls of these native huts are from the cardboard sleeve material, the roof is a disc of heavy paper curled into a cone, then covered in spackle and poked at to vaguely resemble thatch. The green pagan image of TarBelch's corporate godlet can be seen on the back wall of one of the huts.

They're mounted on a used CD, painted black then drybrushed with brown and tan; the thatch got a third drybrush of even paler tan to set it off from the wall.

Total cost: approximately zero, beyond the small sliver of soul one loses everytime one enters a TarBlech's location. I've got another couple of sleeves that will likely be used for a small corrugated iron shed or shelter, or possibly another couple huts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:18:55 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Quick Native Huts
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Very clever.  Funny, I was spackling one of those huts (  paper towel roll with drywall tape) when I read this last night.

Thanks!  The roof idea will help a lot!

LOL I was trying to figure out where in the Hell is a "Tarblechs?  Never heard of them?  Sounds made up!"  then I figured it out.   :D
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
Now that is a nifty way to re-use products!

(we call that place 'Skcubrats' around here   ;) )

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
Yup, I like their free stir-stix too! Whenever a friend buys coffee-drink there I pick up a small handful. :D ;)
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
Yup, I like their free stir-stix too! Whenever a friend buys coffee-drink there I pick up a small handful. :D ;)

Mr. Peobody!  They are 200 for a buck at Winn Dixie!   >:D

Just kidding,  ;)      I pocket them all the time as well, and their thin coffee straws (make good tubing, conduit, and ductwork)