Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some desert hills (plus a small review)  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Some desert hills (plus a small review)
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
A while back I had ordered a GW Gaming Hill at the local shop, and when I went in to pick it up I saw he had a collection of Galeforce 9 in his selection, so I picked up a 2 part Rocky Hill as well.

First up, the GW Citadel Gaming Hill.

Hollow plastic hill, no flash on mine, I just washed it in soapy water to be sure it was clean, basecoated Chaos Black (spraycan), then a coat of Army Painter Leather Brown (spraycan), followed by a drybrush with GW Foundation Iyanden Darksun and a drybrush of GW Dheneb STone over that. Coat of Matte Varnish and then some Mininatur 737-24 two colour grass tufts (late fall) to top it all off. 1/72 BTR-152 for scale reference.

Hill dominates your average battlefield, paints up easily, details is a bit soft but it is plastic so very lightweight. Nice buy, cost me 22.50 euro in the local shop, but can be had online for a lot less.

Second up, the GF9 2 part rocky hill.

First up, I wasn't aware it comes prepainted, even if it is painted in a rather drab grey scheme (nothing wrong with that, all of old scenery when I still did 40K was painted thtat way) and with a packet of green static grass for sprucing it up. The amount of grass in said packet can't be enough though to flock it like in the presentation picture, so hmmmm  :beee:
The detail on the rocks themselves are very good, though to me it looks like it has been casted using real rocks? On the rear it says they are sculpted though, dunno. Very light, not as light as the GW Hill, and the underside has been covered with felt. But as the underside has not been (properly?) sanded, the felt is a bit bubble and the entire piece is a few mm's above the table you put it on, something more noticable the smaller the scale you are using. I gave it the same paintjob as the GW Hill, but when I applied the tufts I was surprised that while adding a little pressure to make them stick I actually punched 2 of them clean inside the hill. Must have accidentally hit a air pocket  :roll:
They cost me 17 euros at the local store and again, they can propably be had for less online.

Both hills are great if you are low on time or need hills fast, with some small effort  (or none if you take the GF9 one) you can have something presentable on the table. I prefer the GF9 ones, and bought a large gaming hill yesterday as a addition to my 2 part hill. This is the same price, and they have 2 smaller hills in a box as well, but at the same price, I think I will pass.

Hope you find this useful.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Some desert hills (plus a small review)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
I like those.  Nice find.  The paint job on those force 9 hills is neat.

I've never been in a GW shop.  We don't have 'em here.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: Some desert hills (plus a small review)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
Thanks for your review. :)
Comes in handy since I have been just recently considering a buy.