Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:24:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders for F&IW (and Conquest Miami Indians)?  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Highlanders for F&IW (and Conquest Miami Indians)?
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
Am pondering adding some highlanders to my F&IW forces and would be grateful for advice.

My collection is built around Conquest & Perry, with some Eureka Provincial Infantry at the smaller end of the scale and Crusader SYW line infantry at the larger.

How do the Eureka F&IW highlanders in bonnets compare to the Perry AWI highlanders in bonnets?  Would I be right in thinking that the Perry offering is good for F&IW too? Do the two ranges mix?

Also, while I'm seeking advice, do the Conquest Miami Indians come with bare legs or with leather stockings?  I can't make it out from the photo on the Conquest site.

Cheers!  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
Re: Highlanders for F&IW (and Conquest Miami Indians)?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
This almost sounds related to what I'm looking for. Not FIW, but AWI (and a little before)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16181.msg193255#msg193255
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »
I would think Eureka would be best fit

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
I would (and have!) gone for the Eureka highlander models myself. They are in the campaign dress described in most contemporary accounts (Indian leggings, sleeved waistcoats, tomahawks, etc) and fit very well size and stylewise with Perry and Conquest. I should be playing a game with mine tonight and will try to get some good pictures.

I have the Conquest Miami pack on the painting table at home. I think they are bare-legged, but will verify it when I get home tonight.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
I'm sure the Perry figures could pass muster for newly-arrived highlanders, especially if you aren't too picky. I'd never use them for the poor bastards who got sent out west with Bouquet though. It seems they were rarely resupplied and a couple of descriptions of them mention some are almost completely naked!

Another advantage to the Eureka figures is that since they are in sleeved waistcoats there are no facing colors on them so you can use them for the 77th, 78th (unless you believe their plaids were different), or 42nd in buff or blue facings. The only problem is the officer who is in his proper coat and trews.

I recently read "Sons of the Mountains" by Ian McCullough (might have mangled the name a bit) which covers every aspect of highland units in the F&I War from recruitment on through to mustering out. It is a great read and full of good information for wargamers. He even covers the campaigns against the Cherokees and the various Carribean interludes.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
Aaaaand...I forgot my camera last night. :( We did have a nice little game loosely based on Bushy Run and we more or less repeated history. The highlanders and their comrades from the 60th took heavy casualties, but drove the foul savages off with quite a few looses of their own.

I did remember to check the Miamis and they are all bare-legged.

I did remember I placed this shot of one of the highlanders alongside Conquest's newer Magua figure in my LAF gallery some time back. The highland laddie is on a much thinner base than Magua. they are actually very close in size.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Thanks and my pleasure. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
The old glory highlanders are not bad from the FIW range.  I also have the Eureka ones.  The Perry highlanders from the AWI range does not have the correct uniform for the FIW.

Darkoath

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
I think Redoubt also have FIW highlanders...  but I've not seen this in the flesh... only photographs at the Redoubt site.

Darkoath

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
Also I must recommend for all things Highland from the FIW:

Sons of the Mountains:  The Highland Regiments in the French and Indian War, 1756-1767
by Ian Macpherson McCulloch.  Volumes I and II.

These two volumes have everything you ever wanted to know about Highland units in the FIW! :D :-*

Darkoath

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
Silent Invader did you end up making a purchase of any Highlander miniatures?

Darkoath