Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686657
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 451369 times)

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
Latest book received
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
"Collapse" by Jared Diamond.

This is the same chap who wrote "Guns, Germs, and Steel," on the circumstances around the success of Western culture. "Collapse" is about the factors that made cultures fail, and so far in the book climate changes and human ecological impact are the biggest culprits.

It's a good book so far, quite pleased with it.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Latest book received
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
I bought this one recently!

Part fact, part fiction, these exciting stories filled with intrigue, mystery and suspense lead you from depression era America to war torn Japan and the South Pacific, to Africa, the Middle East, China and Russia during the buildup for World War II and beyond! The adventures of a lifetime from the pen of a man who has sailed the straits and passages, walked the high mountain passes and forgotten trails, battled alongside mercenaries, warlords and soldiers and lived to tell the tale!
, ,

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Latest book received
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 03:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Driscoles. I've wanted to find some Louis L'Amour since Ifinished The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. He is one of the characters that shows up, but they never say who he is. I figured it out in the last chapter.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Latest book received
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
after years of seemingly avoiding them - really economics barring the purchase - i finally splurged and acquired through the Science Fiction Book Club Edgar Rice Burrough Mars series (Barsoom[?]).

i had been hap-hazzardly going through them at work on e-texts at Project Gutenburg but i always find it difficult to read an e-text for enjoyment - great for research as the operating system will do the searching far faster and less distractions  :oops:  but i still am old fashioned when it comes to reading a book  :roll:

now i need to find the collected Fu Manchu from Sax Rohmer.  i know it exists, just finding all the volumes is problematic
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Latest book received
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 10:36:21 PM »
The collected Fu Manchu are oop and the final volume, number 5, was always hard to get. They're very good though so good luck with your searching  :)

I read them all straight through because I wanted to use him as a recurring Pulp roleplay villain. Unfortunately I think the players would have joined him as his ideas and achievements are fantastic.

Nayland Smith comes across as a bigotted, racist fool. How times have changed  :lol:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Latest book received
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 11:33:07 AM »
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Latest book received
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
Thanks for the heads up Driscoles. I've wanted to find some Louis L'Amour since Ifinished The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. He is one of the characters that shows up, but they never say who he is. I figured it out in the last chapter.

Huh.

I have never read Mr. L'Amour's work, but had him filed away as a writer catering to middle aged women of a romantic and surpressed erotic disposition.

Should I rethink my position?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Latest book received
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
I have never read Mr. L'Amour's work, but had him filed away as a writer catering to middle aged women of a romantic and surpressed erotic disposition.

Should I rethink my position?

I have no idea if you're right, but had the same opinion of L'Amour's stuff. And the way you put it made me lol.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Latest book received
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »
Hallo Hammershield,

you should rethink your opinion.

L`amour is actually famous for his Wild West Novels. Lots of them were filmed.
One of the best adaptions are THE SACKETS. Filmed for TV in the 80 `s
Another good one is Connagher. Just to name two.
I was surprised to find out he also wrote Adventure Stories.

Greetings to Sweden.

Bjoern

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Latest book received
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
marvelous book, thanks to WestfaliaChris for hint!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Latest book received
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

Offline knoxville

• Mr. Happiness
  • Mad Scientist
    • ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES
Latest book received
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:50 AM »
More dragonlance (war of souls) and a D&D 3.5 dungeon master guide. Looks like I'm playing in a D&D campaign this summer.
I was there the day that Horus fell.
ЯEAKTOR.MINIATURES

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Latest book received
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 11:44:44 AM »
Continuing my "research" I am reading the first book in the Brak the Barbarian series by John Jakes (yes THAT John Jakes).

I consider Brak to be Conan's inept third cousin. The guy stumbles over anything left on the ground, but only in the heat of battle. I've read the first three stories in it and in each one, Brak is saved only because his enemies are idiots and some third party does something to rescue him. If he were not lucky, he would never have survived past the first story.

On top of that, each wound he receives, either from a stabbing spear or a paper cut, saps his strength.

Mr. Jakes also takes great pleasure in describing him as "naked except for the lion-skin loin cloth he wears."

These stories were written in the 60s during the Sword and Sorcery revival and any publisher would buy up the stories since there was such a demand. It's painful to read some of the stuff as you really end up wishing the villain would just kill Brak and end your misery.

I'll readily admit to liking my fantasy to have stalwart heroes who fight hard and do not sound like weaklings. I don't want to see every human flaw portrayed in them. They can be brooding, morally ambiguous, a down-right bastard. But in the end, they better be the savage fighters they are supposed to be.

I would suggest reading these only if you want to cover as much of the S&S genre as possible.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Latest book received
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 09:54:48 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
sonds intriguing, Chris, just bought that book on ebay (only 3 EUR!)

got something else from another won ebay auction:

"The Fight in the Rufiji Delta" The end of the little cruiser "Königsberg", the German marine and Schutztruppe in Wolrd War 1 in East Africa

Prof the English Translation of " The Last Gentleman of War" by the same author on the exploits of the Cruiser Emden is a terrfic read. Well worth the purchase if you are interested in maritime adventures of the Great War.

I've three books on the Konisgberg in English:

"The Germans Who Never Lost" by Edwin P Hoyt, Jr;

"Konigsberg" by Kevin Patience; and

The "Konigsberg" Adventure by E Keble Chatterton.

Thanks for showing us the book cover.

God Bless

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 10:02:41 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
A new "book received" thread  :wink:

At the moment I'm seized with a passion for colonial history. Got yesterday two new books, "The german schutztruppe" and "The german colonies" with tons of textes and photos. Great reference material with lots of inspiration

Prof thanks for showing us the book covers for this period. Of interest as I've a plethora of books for this period and I'd like your opinion in the quality of information contained within the books or are they a rehash?

Thanks Prof very much. :)  

God Bless

Helen