Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&IW from Galloping Major  (Read 21050 times)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: F&IW from Galloping Major
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
A pack of captives being led by a warrior or two would be a nice "one off" vignette pack.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the input chaps, more is always appreciated:

I'll buy them anyway  :-*
Settler captives also sounds like a splendid idea for smaller skirmishes, but most of us will buy only the one set. Of course if we ALL buy a set it might still be a good seller.

Too right mate, likely number of sales is always something to be borne in mind, as you say, if everyone bought a pack  :o :D
Then again, my interest being as deep as it is for this range, once I decide on doing a pack (and I added this one to my mental list a while back) you know I'm just going to have to do them anyway.

A pack of captives being led by a warrior or two would be a nice "one off" vignette pack.

I certainly have had this one in mind recently  8)

Also armed children.   ;)

"Rescue the captives" seems to be a popular scenario and as well, a small group of armed settlers defending a cabin until the rangers arrive would be a good scenario to play. You could do a "colonel's plucky daughter" figure for a Last of the Mohicans type fight.

This kind of scenario is just what I have in mind for the armed settlers, along with a few others, just made for a fun game with lots of suspense thrown in.
Plucky ladies with muskets, pistols etc have just got to feature.

I would vote to keep the settlers seperated... doing packs of armed settlers and seperate packs of unarmed settlers.  I would really love to see a set of settler captives!  The settlers would have fought in a family unit so an armed pack with adult men and women fighting, and then maybe some women loading, children loading or carrying loaded muskets, etc.  A group of only armed men I would call militia instead of settlers...

Darkoath

Spot on for my way of looking at it. Armed settlers, unarmed settlers as packs, still can't decide whether the women should be in the same packs, I'm thinking 2 out of 6, or whether people would prefer to buy packs of men or women to control the number. Of course, either way it won't please everyone, so no doubt they'll appear in the order of what takes my fancy most. Maybe a bit of a combination of both routes will make sense.

I'll be doing militia more fully dressed, with coats and more equipment, while most of the settlers will be in shirt sleeves, waistcoats etc. That way they could be intermixed too. Then again:

Armed women are a firm favourite of mine. Bound to sell well  ;)
Personally I would prefer armed women, and perhaps even a few armed children, or at least children carrying or loading firearms.

On another subject:

I would like to ask if you (galloppingmajor) has in the future the idea to make some figures for winter campaigns.
most of the little skirmishes and raids were done under deep snow.
it will be very nice to add some figures cladded for the winter , what do you think about?
Piero

Yes Piero, I certainly will be sculpting quite a few in winter clothing, that's the great thing about periods like FIW, hostilities tended to continue on some level no matter how bad the weather became  :D

Of course, I've got so much to do at the moment, what with regulars, provincials, highlanders etc., and keeping the wolf from the door with real life stuff, the winter stuff will fit in somewhere.

The great thing about your input guys, is that you're mentioning stuff I've got in mind, which means I can't be that wide of the mark  lol and it helps to keep the inspiration going when I hear from you.

Must make time to write that rangers painting guide  ::)

Cheers,

Lance

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
Also, still writing the painting guide for rangers, which will go up on the site when I finish it. Meanwhile, here are some pics of one of the painted little chaps who'll appear on it:

Hope you like the 'uniform', and if you don't recognise it, you soon will  :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »

On another subject:

Yes Piero, I certainly will be sculpting quite a few in winter clothing, that's the great thing about periods like FIW, hostilities tended to continue on some level no matter how bad the weather became  :D

Of course, I've got so much to do at the moment, what with regulars, provincials, highlanders etc., and keeping the wolf from the door with real life stuff, the winter stuff will fit in somewhere.

The great thing about your input guys, is that you're mentioning stuff I've got in mind, which means I can't be that wide of the mark  lol and it helps to keep the inspiration going when I hear from you.

Must make time to write that rangers painting guide  ::)

Cheers,

Lance

[/quote]

great  :-* ;D Lance  , this is a great news, don't forget to add , if you could, shoe rackets. :-* :-* it will be wonderful

Piero

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
Suggestion and link:

Perhaps a French Jesuit priest or 2 and a couple of Christianized Huron parishioners would be an interesting specialty pack?

The movie "Black Robe" is a few decades before the FIW, but involves Indian fighting in the woodlands. Perhaps of interest. Excellent film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Robe_%28film%29

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
Suggestion and link:

Perhaps a French Jesuit priest or 2 and a couple of Christianized Huron parishioners would be an interesting specialty pack?

The movie "Black Robe" is a few decades before the FIW, but involves Indian fighting in the woodlands. Perhaps of interest. Excellent film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Robe_%28film%29

VERY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD ;D ;D ;D
my favourite movie for F&IW

Piero

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Wow, that's one I do have on the back burner, Jesuit priests, but a pack of them would be too many of course, so as you say, maybe 1 or 2 with some of their flock, possibly warriors, or maybe women and kids too. I just hope my eyesight holds out long enough to sculpt all the stuff I want to do  lol

I really like black robe too, great film, still have it on VHS, I'll have to get it on DVD sometime.

Talking of DVDs of stories set in colonial North America, (and Indians with captives as we were earlier) I just ordered "Follow the River" (1995 Region 1) from Amazon as it was only £1.98 + postage (another £1.24 or so). I remember watching it on TV a few years ago, and from what I remember it was based on a true story of women and children taken captive from a British colony, a bit hokey and made for TV I seem to remember, but certainly worth risking a couple of quid on.  :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_16?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=follow+the+river&sprefix=follow+the+river

Do any of you have that one?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:06:30 PM by Galloping Major »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
I'd say two Jesuits are enough. One in a peaceful pose and one inciting the troops. One of the reasons for Rogers' epic raid on St. Francis was that a particularly fiery Jesuit was attracting a lot of warriors there, after all!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
I'd say two Jesuits are enough. One in a peaceful pose and one inciting the troops.

Yes, I think that's the way to go, any more and it would start to look like Rocky Island (Father Ted)  lol

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
If you are looking for a LOT of extra work - canoes, whaleboats, yorkboats and crews (Indians, coureurs des bois, colonists) together with piles of beaver pelts and stacks of trade goods.

This would allow scenarios wherein 1 side ambushes another's fur trading haul.......... which after all, was 90% of the underlying cause for all the fighting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:07:36 PM by huevans »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
keeping the wolf from the door with real life stuff

How about a few personalites.... James Wolfe perhaps ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »
If you are looking for a LOT of extra work - canoes, whaleboats, yorkboats and crews (Indians, coureurs des bois, colonists) together with piles of beaver pelts and stacks of trade goods.

This would allow scenarios wherein 1 side ambushes another's fur trading haul.......... which after all, was 90% of the underlying cause for all the fighting.

All in good time  ;)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
How about a few personalites.... James Wolfe perhaps ?

I do have some personalities in mind, Wolfe wouldn't be the first, but he's in there all right.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
I hope you'll start with Langlade, Dumas and other like these, expecially some french leaders in native dress  ;D ;D ;D
Piero

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
They are really nice.

Steve