Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690986
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kilts in WWI?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
Kilts in WWI?
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:00:58 AM »
I'm painting up some British trench fighters for my LPL entry.  Two of my five guys are in kilts.  Let's just say this they are meant for are for is pulled from different regiments for special missions, so it's okay they don't match the others guys who are not in kilts.  So I was wondering anyone have any good ideas on how to paint them?  Should I give them the standard khaki colored kilts like the rest of their uniform (which I've seen in pictures) or should I get  adventurous and paint the kilts plaid.  I have never done the latter, so instructions would be great.  The guys are post-1916 as they have steel helmets.  Thanks for the assist.

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Kilts in WWI?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:50 AM »
It is my understanding that they didn't wear dress kilts in the feild at this time. Plain Khaki would be the safe way to go I think.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:57 AM »
It depends on your miniature and wether they have kilt covers on or not  ;)

Keith

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
As a general rule, kilts were covered with a canvas cover during WWI, but there are exceptions, so it depends which models you are using.  If the pleats on the back of the kilt are showing, then you should paint it as tartan, same if the model has a sporran.  Even if the kilt cover is worn, you can still usually see a bit of the kilt showing at the bottom or side.

Here is a kilt with no cover (so paint with tartan):

Here is a covered kilt - note that you can see the tartan showing on the side of the cover.

If you don't want to paint tartan, you can assign your lads toa regiment like the London Scottish, who used Hodden Gray!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Didn't e have another thread on this just recently? There were a few good advice in that one as I recall.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »
Thanks for the advise so far.  The minis I am using are Old Glory, see the guy with the Lewis gun and the gentleman throwing the grenade in the below link.  The pleat and sporran are definitely there.  I think I might actually want to try the tartan.

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WWI-305

Joey

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
This is a good site for the Tartans & bonnet details

Keith

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:04:31 PM »
Look like kilt covers to me.  I have a marvelous print of my grandfather, a corporal in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, who has posed for the photo wearing a kilt cover (1916).  I have also seen pics of officers (not men) who were wearing their full kilts.  I would suggest that this is the most accurate way forward.  One rule for the men and another for the offircers.  Will's evidence bears this out.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
I think you might be right about the kilt covers, but that is kind of boring color-wise.  I think I might go full tartan anyway, just for some pop.  I did find this great link.  I fancy a go on the morrow.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ToySoldier/tartan.htm

Joey

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
I think you might be right about the kilt covers, but that is kind of boring color-wise.  I think I might go full tartan anyway, just for some pop.  I did find this great link.  I fancy a go on the morrow.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/ToySoldier/tartan.htm

Joey

On a related topic: Alex and I talked some whle ago about starting subtopics to the Workbench/How to... board (where I am a moderator), creating new sub-boards like How to paint..., How to sculpt..., How to take photos... etc.

This question on how to paint tartan crops up now and then. I suppose it should be made sticky. What do you say, does it belong in WWI or Workbench or somewhere else?

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »
Hammers - painting tartan crosses too many eras to be stuck in WWI.  Those ladies from hell show up everywhere - swashbuckling, VSF, colonial, WWI, interwar, pulp, future wars and more places besides.  I vote for putting it in the workbench.

And respectfully disagree with Ignatieff - it was not so well organised as a division between officers and men.  Seems more or less random, probably with the more fastidious usingthe covers.

Cheers

Will

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
Your probably right Will.