Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1:56 Austin Putilov and Kegresse  (Read 7949 times)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
1:56 Austin Putilov and Kegresse
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »
Reposting here from workbench

This model is getting close to finish.  Most likely, it will be ready to go to resin and metals casting next week.  I'm trying to get a feel on how much demand there will be for this.  Do folks just want one or the other?

I'll have the Kegresse tracks completed for pictures tomorrow night.

I also have a partially started earlier version of the Austin.  The turrets on that one are side by side.  Would not be much work to get that one out as well.

Brent
Company B

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Re: 1:56 Austin Putilov and Kegresse
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
I will probably want 2 wheeled and one tracked.

I would assume more demand for the wheeled version.

Offline andekmcc

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »
I've got 2 of the Early Model ones from Old Glory I'd like to see how they compare dimension wise to them as for me to get away with them they need to be sort of similar (they are basically the same chassis after all), it they were a good match I'd probably want 1 of each.  I dont expect you to have an old glory one to hand but perhaps if you could give the overall length and height that would be useful.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Andekmcc -- I don't know about "early OG" vs. current, but the ones I purchased within the last 2 years vary in scale. My measurements and conversion worked out to:

L -- 3.6" = 1/54
W -- 1.6" = 1/49
H -- 2.0" = 1/51

So they're a bit larger than 1/56.

For reference, 1/56 scale works out to be:
L = 3.5"
W = 1.4"
H = 1.8"

I sold my two OG Austin Putilovs last year, planning to buy CoB when they were released and to match up with my other CoB -- and Brigade Games -- WWI vehicles.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
Very nice!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:22:05 AM »
Wow it's Russian armoured car week. Almost an embarrasment of riches.

Very nice work BTW. Me? I'd be interested in the wheeled version, the kegresse variant not so much.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:00:22 AM »
This is great news. I'll order two wheeled versions as soon as they're available. I'll reserve judgment on the tracked version till I see a photo, but wouldn't want more than 1 of those.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »
Damn,  I'm getting into trouble with all these new 1/56 vehicles as mine are 1/48. I think a tracked one is a must-buy for me. though
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
I really want to see the half track version!
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »
Brent, I was just looking at the Russian Armored Car site that Schogun posted a link to on the Copplestone A/C thread, and few of their pictures of Austins/Austin-Putilovs (nor many other pictures I can recall, including those in printed sources in Russian) had the solid wheels. I've seen many, many pictures of them with the spoked wheels though. (I did see the Kegresse model with solid wheels).

So it appears that the spoked wheels would at least have been overwhelmingly more common. And I have to admit, I find them more "charming" and quaint.  :)

Any chance you'll offer both types of wheels? I'd so much rather have the spoked wheels, I cannot express it in words.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:21:19 PM by bollix »

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
yep, it will have spoked wheels.  Those are placeholders from a Rolls so I can work on the leaf springs and suspension height.

The wheels are being done via computer and a rapid prototype machine. (same method on our G3A Mercedes truck)  That will also allow an insert for the wheel so it can be used for the halftrack as well.

Brent
Company B

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:39 AM »
yep, it will have spoked wheels.  Those are placeholders from a Rolls so I can work on the leaf springs and suspension height.

The wheels are being done via computer and a rapid prototype machine. (same method on our G3A Mercedes truck)  That will also allow an insert for the wheel so it can be used for the halftrack as well.

I'm very glad to hear that.

And I just reread your initial post above - I'd also buy at least one of the earlier model Austin-Putilovs.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
I'd take two wheeled and one tracked, if that helps.....

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 10:15:07 PM »
Updates!

Rivets done (mostly) and tracks system is complete.  The tracks themselves took me about 3 days.  Enough time to make a tank.  I made one track set, that is the same on both sides, so no issues with which track goes where.

The tracks are one piece, but there will be a separate gear/chain system, that will fit to the outward facing track section.  Like the track, this will be the same on both sides.  I have the gears done, but still need to make the chain link.

Assembly is quite easy.  I'm going to have the track sections and it's associated pieces be cast in metal

Rivets..I tried something new.  Archer Transfers Rivet sheets.  These are rounded rivets in resin, that are printed onto a thin decal sheet.  Just cut a strip and apply.  Took some careful planning.  But I managed to rivet the whole model in about an hour.  After clear coating, and a spray of primer, the rivets are permanent, and look excellent!

I used their O scale rivets.  A sheet is about $14, and I only used about a quarter of it.

Using them opens up alot of ideas...  Now that rivets are painless...I must do more!

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
It looks really good, and those transfer rivets are very interesting. I've never heard of those before.